Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

MY buddy needs help with his subaru! please help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Busted map sensor

Dirty maf

Not enough fuel pressure

Sounds like u need a subi shop
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the tuner cant scale the maf... Subarus are woman when it comes to installing an intake. You need someone to tune the car that has tuned alot of Subarus.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for everyones suggestions but sadly this isn't a simple case of map scaling, I keep all my trims within 5%. I've tuned quite a few subies with these exact injectors, exact intake/maf, turbo etc. Nothing was difficult so to speak about tuning this car, tuned out fine, just started acting up after.

Most of the cars I tune, there is no budget for error. If something goes wrong its cheaper for them to fix it vs my certified mechanics. I understand this and never leave a customer with an unexpected debt. This guy is a college student, I understand how tight money can get and I'll always respect that.

He will figure this issue out, come back, we will re flash the tune, brush it up a bit, raise the boost and send him on his way.

Thanks for your time,
Dk
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dkGoodrich
Thanks for everyones suggestions but sadly this isn't a simple case of map scaling, I keep all my trims within 5%. I've tuned quite a few subies with these exact injectors, exact intake/maf, turbo etc. Nothing was difficult so to speak about tuning this car, tuned out fine, just started acting up after.

Most of the cars I tune, there is no budget for error. If something goes wrong its cheaper for them to fix it vs my certified mechanics. I understand this and never leave a customer with an unexpected debt. This guy is a college student, I understand how tight money can get and I'll always respect that.

He will figure this issue out, come back, we will re flash the tune, brush it up a bit, raise the boost and send him on his way.

Thanks for your time,
Dk
The thing about your statement as a tuner is... you should kinda be able to trouble shoot so YOU can figure this problem out, I mean he is paying you and to me this would take most if not all my confidence away from you.
I mean the setup is pretty damn simple and shouldn't take to long to tune.
Since you know its not building boost, did you do a boost leak test? Thats a given on most setups and especially since you not getting any boost!! I just think this is dumb, on 90% of my tunes I have found a boost leak, hell even on my own car when I believe everything is tight! just some food for thought.

Also about the trims you can tune around a boost leak and your trims will be fine!

Cory
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:03 PM

this boost leak might have been an exception...I have been talking with my mechanic and the boost leak was attributed to a coupling that had separated from a intercooler pipe on the lower drivers side. it was impossible to see and it was about an inch gap. We believe due to the motor mounts being worn the engine shake was knocking around a lot of the intercooler pipes, one was nearly separated in the passenger fender as well. I knew my mounts were worn, but not to this extent.. even if I did take it back to him right now it would most likely be that while road tuning the pipes will most likely separate again. In my mind this issue needs to be resolved before I can finish up my tune.

I will be in touch with you soon DK