Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EnglishRacing Evolander Begins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CalypsoGST
No just rubbing on the inside of my evo 8 rims
weird,i had to do a bit of clearancing to mine..the sway bar bottomed hard enough to bend an end link..i have bbs mr rims with 255's and the dont rub except a hair at full steering lock...mine doesnt seem to be any lower than usual either...i used evo 8 front struts and tophats ,base lancer rears paired with outlander tophats and evo h&r springs all the way around..next task is getting some camber removed from the rear..

Name:  outlander_zpsf8978994.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.4 KB
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reactionevo8
weird,i had to do a bit of clearancing to mine..the sway bar bottomed hard enough to bend an end link..i have bbs mr rims with 255's and the dont rub except a hair at full steering lock...mine doesnt seem to be any lower than usual either...i used evo 8 front struts and tophats ,base lancer rears paired with outlander tophats and evo h&r springs all the way around..next task is getting some camber removed from the rear..

I used evo front struts oz rally rears and gtworx evo springs all around. and the rubbing only occurs at heavy load on the rear the fronts didn t rub at all.
I also used the camber bolts on the front from the evo.

Last edited by CalypsoGST; Sep 23, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CalypsoGST
I used evo front struts oz rally rears and gtworx evo springs all around. and the rubbing only occurs at heavy load on the rear the fronts didn t rub at all.
I also used the camber bolts on the front from the evo.
strange,what year is yours? mine is an 03,maybe later years had more room for the sway?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by reactionevo8
strange,what year is yours? mine is an 03,maybe later years had more room for the sway?
Same year I was even under the car today and looked but no issues with clearance
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:43 AM

How did you install the Evo lowering springs on the rear. After you assemble the shock / spring assembly, doesn't the spring just flop around as it isn't the correct length?

For the camber adjustment, apparently you can cut out those welded plates on the inner lower control arm @ the center undercarriage. Those are pre-set camber plates and don't allow for any adjustment at all. Just cut the strip of weld top and bottom (4 of them) then order and use the offset toe cam bolts. Or maybe the camber bolts from an evo may work too?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 04:57 AM

Once the weight of the rear comes down it compresses the spring to keep it stationary. I didn't know about the weld plates but my camber was just slightly out of spec so I didn't really care
Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:25 PM

If in some unlikely event you get the rear wheels (or just one) to leave the ground won't that spring come out of position and when it comes back down crooked just collapse the rear and cause crazy damage? Or even just doing wheel rotations, brake changes will make it a pain to make sure they are seating correctly in those spring isolator pads. Maybe using a helper spring like the picture, keep everything tight when unloaded.
Name:  DeluxeHelperSpring.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  72.9 KB
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMx2
How did you install the Evo lowering springs on the rear. After you assemble the shock / spring assembly, doesn't the spring just flop around as it isn't the correct length?

For the camber adjustment, apparently you can cut out those welded plates on the inner lower control arm @ the center undercarriage. Those are pre-set camber plates and don't allow for any adjustment at all. Just cut the strip of weld top and bottom (4 of them) then order and use the offset toe cam bolts. Or maybe the camber bolts from an evo may work too?
i used outlander tophats on my rears,they still had a little bit of free play at full shock extension but not nearly as much as an evo tophat...you are correct about the rear camber,i picked up a set of 1st gen miata camber adjusters for mine but ive been lazy about grinding the welds and installing them..

after all that i ended up going back to outlander shocks/struts and evo lowering springs...for some reason mine hated being low...first the sway bar and axles hit on the pinch welds so i clearanced that..then the front axles started binding on corners from too much angle..i may revisit lowering it after winter with stock evo springs instead of the h&r's but for now im done..
Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:48 AM

Bump for information on the rear camber kit for the 03-06 outlanders. I'm running OZ Rally Sedan struts front and back with lowering springs and outlander hats rides great other then the camber in the rear more then I would like to run.

Has anyone looked into theses
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...FY8F7AodOlIAbg

These look like they might work also.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...er-arms-5.html

Last edited by Ronstex; Nov 24, 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
can anyone answer me this, can a evo 8 or 9 stock or aftermarket exhaust fit a 2003 outlander? or does it need some modification, I'm wondering about clearance past a rear diff and subframe
Old May 28, 2015, 01:18 PM

Update for everyone on lowering the outlander right and so you do not eat tires.

Parts needed:

Evo8 lowering Spring
Evo8 front struts
03 OZ Rally Sedan rear struts
2008-2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Rear Camber Kit Control Arms
Lancer 2008+ Megan Racing Rear Toe Arms

Shak2300--As for the exhaust it does not fit I had a evo8 one laying around it is way too short and the rear diff area is all wrong. Best thing to do is pull the old exhaust off and make a new/bigger exhaust using it as a guide.
Old May 28, 2015, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ronstex
Update for everyone on lowering the outlander right and so you do not eat tires.

Parts needed:

Evo8 lowering Spring
Evo8 front struts
03 OZ Rally Sedan rear struts
2008-2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Rear Camber Kit Control Arms
Lancer 2008+ Megan Racing Rear Toe Arms

Shak2300--As for the exhaust it does not fit I had a evo8 one laying around it is way too short and the rear diff area is all wrong. Best thing to do is pull the old exhaust off and make a new/bigger exhaust using it as a guide.
miata camber bolts work fine on the back and you can still use stock exhaust...didnt have any toe issues myself...only had axle bind issues in front on corners
Old Jul 15, 2015, 07:36 AM

for you guys still running autos. what trans coolers are you running?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
updates on Outlander

Anything on this Super Sleeper?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by rong.
Anything on this Super Sleeper?
Talked to the owner at last year's shootout and he was selling it.

Quick Reply: EnglishRacing Evolander Begins