Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Going to a Scion Fr-s from an Evox?

Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came up because a friend of mine who was a die hard
"i cant wait for the fr-s" fan graduated from his university,
and now is "I am going to buy an evo x" fan.

I didnt care too much for the fr-s nor did I know anything about it.

For 2 days now I have been reading reviews, watching videos, and been thinking.

The thought has been backed up by the fact that I never owned a 2 door
"sports car" , although the evo x is no joke a awesome vehicle, I still havent
gotten the feeling from it maybe because I have only driven 4 door sedans.

Considered the 370z, Hyundai Gen 3.8 Rpsec, and now the fr-s price+review...although the complete under powered under dog that dont belong in the same field as any of these cars.

Would it be mindless to sell off my evo x and pick up a scion fr-s ?

Thoughts?

Never tried the Rwd kool aid, whats it like?

Last edited by golgo13; Feb 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Replacing original post to help with discussion
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I think personally I've been spoiled by the Evo. You don't find another vehicle which has the same compromise of vehicle dynamics, handling, power, and everyday practicality. The FRS will be a different experience, but I've lived with small, RWD cars before and it does get old using it as your only car. Adding it as a second car is an option, but personally I don't like the idea of a 'stable' of vehicles especially when the Evo does so many things so well already.

If ever I want to experience RWD dynamics I'll just spend the 400-500$ rent a Lotus, Corvette, or Ferrari and flog it around the track for a day. You are near LA so have plenty of high performance driving schools near you.

That said I wouldn't call the switch "mindless". The FRS will get better much gas mileage, and will probably end up saving you money in tires and other maintenance.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I say buy a fun 2 door RWD sports car, plenty of time for the 4 door grocery getter when you get older.

My early cars were sporty 2 doors, I didn't buy a 4 door 'til my second kid was born.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd wait until people test out turbo kits and find out the potential of the stock motor. Which would solve the lack of power issue and then you can take a dip in the RWD Kool-Aid knowing that the power will be there once you want it! That's kind of what I'm doing atleast, plus I love my VIII
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You don't buy an FRS for power anymore than you buy an Evo for the balance; they're two completely different cars. The FRS is about the reward that comes from driving a car that is balanced, sharp, and involving, for lack of a better word. The Evo is rewarding but its more about the power and brute force feel. Drive both and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

I dont get why everyone is so excited over it really, it's not like a miata or rx8 wont handle well, and if they do lack overall grip and weight they for sure do ok in the power department. I just think the car is overhyped.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

The FRS/BRZ has more power than a Miata and seems to handle just as well, if not better. I haven't heard a reviewer yet describe it as overhyped.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing like a turbo car with all 4 wheels spining

Keep the EVO
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:58 PM

I just took my brother's new FRS out for a romp earlier this evening. I certainly wouldn't say that they are "over hyped";at least not in my area. It is actually a nice little car to boot around in. The handling was fairly sharp, and acceleration was adequate. Keep in mind however, that it is NOT anywhere near the same league as a 370Z for a 2 door sports car. It's just nice because it's a nice sporty car that can give you a bit of a kick if you want, but isn't nasty as an everyday driver. Just my two cents.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

before it actually came out i thought the car was going to be bad ****ing ***.... but as we see how the actual production model is, it has a huge lack of power compared to any evo, they do say this car handles excellent, but i feel that is definetly not a good replacement for your evo X. also your giving up extra space in the car. riding around in a 2 door gets old after awhile.

i feel as though this car is targeted at the youngsters with a starting MSRP of $24k, your going to have every kid in a honda civic pulling up to you trying to race you. but hey if you like it more power to you good luck
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I think you'll get way more people trying to street race you if you're in an Evo vs. an FRS/BRZ. The FRS/BRZ is targeted at the same people who buy Miatas, ie. people who can afford a second "fun" car, not exactly the stereotypical street racers.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think you'll get way more people trying to street race you if you're in an Evo vs. an FRS/BRZ. The FRS/BRZ is targeted at the same people who buy Miatas, ie. people who can afford a second "fun" car, not exactly the stereotypical street racers.
That's the way it was with my 240SX back in the day, it was just a fun car to drive, under powered but fun. Then a bunch of guys got into boosting the engines and swapping for SR's and drifting them like crazy (cuz they were inexpensive).

On the flip side Subaru has said that there just isn't enough room under the hood for a turbo setup so perhaps people will keep these NA and see what they can do with them.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly can't think of any justification for buying an FR-S over a 2011+ mustang gt. I thought had one or two but no...nothing.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Carloverx
I honestly can't think of any justification for buying an FR-S over a 2011+ mustang gt. I thought had one or two but no...nothing.
How about $6000 reasons. I'd imagine the FSR is one of those cars you don't get until after you drive it. I've been fortunate enough to own many great cars from Porsche to BMW and even a high HP EVO, the funnest to drive was a then new 105 hp 90' Miata. Martin Swig bought an FSR before he died. He's a car nut and could afford any car in the world and he bought an FSR. He also owned a Miata FWIW.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

I think it would feel completely underpowered compared to the Evo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to a Scion Fr-s from an Evox?