Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Going to a Scion Fr-s from an Evox?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really gutless...handles great...but i had trouble pulling mini van on highway on ramp...wait for turbo version...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:30 PM

So I just test drove an FR-S this evening. As a side note, I was amazed how quickly the sales person let me take the car out.

They only had an auto so my tiny review might be different with a standard. I also own a 2000 s2000 and a 2008 Evo X GSR as a reference.

First of all, the FR-S feels lighter than both my S2000 and Evo. It is slower than both. It corners very well. It would be better with better tires right out of the box imo. The FR-S really lacks the proper powerband that the Evo (turbo spool) and the S2000 (VTEC) posess. It's like it hits 4k rpm and the power just tapers off. With traction control off, the FR-S loves to go side ways which is pretty fun.

In my mind, My evo and S are both better than the Fr-s. I also couldn't tell you which I liked more between my Evo and S because I feel they are too different.

Needless to say, I am interested in eventually owning an FR-S but I can wait for the hype to die down. It seem like only fan boys have really bought them. They are pretty cheap and I look forward to seeing them change. They have already discussed a turbo charged and super charged version in the works. Tuners also have been able to squeeze an extra 20 hp out of the car right off the lot. So we shall see.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Funny, everything I've read about the FR-S and BRZ says there simply isn't room for a turbo or supercharger under the hood. Rumor came out that Subaru is working on an STI version with 50 more hp, but it's still NA.

I like the BRZ myself, though I will also wait to see the hype die down before I even consider looking at one.

For now I am happy with the Evo, though I miss the light weight RWD platform a little bit.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

If they were to come out with a higher powered version, like the STI, as was mentioned above, I think it would make this car generally much more interesting. If they had released this car with 300 hp stock, it would have been my next car.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Forced Induction. Several tuner companies have already demonstrated kits, including turbos placed low near the exhaust and driveshaft. GRMN has a twincharged (e.g. turbo + supercharger) 86 that puts down ~320hp, although people question the reliability of that setup.

I'd love to *add* a Toyobaru to my collection but I would never use it to *replace* one of my Evos. At US prices, you could buy a used C6 Corvette. At Japanese prices, I'd rather save up for an R34 GT-R. Most likely I'll keep saving my pennies/yen while the aftermarket matures and eventually buy a gently used one, then slap on a supercharger.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Saw my first Fr-s. I thought it was a BRZ at first glance. It is at my job on Ft Sam. Still has paper plates. Looked nice but very small

Name:  9CAD789A-3247-435D-A598-B5CA682BC2BA-699-000000EF3812F1E6.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  114.1 KB
Old Sep 2, 2012, 05:14 PM

I think transitioning from an EVO to a FR-S/BRZ will = disappointment and regret.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:56 AM

I think people are looking at this car all wrong. I have an EVO X right now and it's not for power. I don't know how many times people have to tell you. It's been told in EVERY SINGLE REVIEW, if you want power, look else where. This isn't a 1/4 mile car and making this a 1/4 mile is just plain dumb considering I would rather do that with my EVO.

EVO is all about performance. It's grippy. It's fast. It pulls well. It brakes fast. (performance). It also eludes confidence, it a way that I feel invincible.

FR-S/BRZ is a completely different beast. It's the uncertainty which is what you like. It's the feel of going go-kart and you know you can just whip that tail drift the corner. Some people can't do that with higher HP cars because it's too much response to handle or they suck.

This car brings the feeling RWD to an in an expensive group of people who just want to drive. They don't care about beating the guy next to him on a straightaway they like sticking with them on the corners.

Did I also mention, (even if its probably because of a crappy drive). The FR-S/BRZ beat the EVO X in lap times at willow springs. WTF!!!???? There's something wrong with that.

I love my EVO. I had 2 EVO's but as a driver enthusiast, I'm also interested in every new car.

And the dealer is offering me 24K out the door for brand new, I have to think that over for a night.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Stupid trade imo I'd rather get a used lotus way before one of those.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

idk... seems like a step back.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:29 AM

Nope, bought a BRZ Limited without markup. My Evo 8 is going up for sale soon. AWD turbo is fun, but not as fun to me as a balanced, light rwd coupe. They respond really well to boost as well if I ever feel the need for a turbo again.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

If you can afford it for a second car then buy it but you will become bored very quick going from an evo to an frs/brz. It's a fun car because of the good handling and drifting capabilities but the evo is just better in every way possible.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Imo the only reason to buy an FR-S is because you are in love with the way it looks. Other than that, its simply not a performer. Dollar for dollar, I would wager you could get more performance out of a miata.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
? A new Miata has substantially less power stock and has a similar weight.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
? A new Miata has substantially less power stock and has a similar weight.
ORLY?

2012 Mazda MX-5 CURB WEIGHT is 2480 lbs
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mx-5-mi...ub=convertible

The curb weight for a base model 2013 Scion FR-S is 2,785 lbs.
http://cars.findthebest.com/q/1402/3...013-Scion-FR-S

305 lbs. is a BIG difference.

Plus, the miata has 140 ft-lbs. torque @ 5000 rpm vs. FR-S 151 ft-lbs. @ 6600 rpm. I would take the earlier torque on the lighter car. Until I see a FR-S doing anything of note on an auto-x or track I am sticking to my theory. Plus, the miata has huge aftermarket support.

Quick Reply: Going to a Scion Fr-s from an Evox?