Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:12 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Actually, in the X, they would have had to hold the ESP button down for 5 seconds to turn it off.
LOL. touche!

The key to faster laps is a high exit speed
now this, i like. and quite the interesting way to do it. a bit complicated, but "complicated" has been working for the GTR... maybe it will help here as well.

if it's essentially FWD on the straights, that should bode well for MPG. bonus.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:23 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
A friend of mine is the general manager at the local Ford dealer. I popped by there today to find out the latest on the RS.

I talked to one of the sales guys, and he told me (as we already know), that if you haven't thrown your hat in the ring for one of these already, you're too late.

I asked if that was just first allocation, and he said he swept the allocations of other area dealerships, and all are spoken for. To his understanding, it's going to be a one year car and they're only getting four RS Foci EVER, and all of them are sold.

Is this like an Xbox One/PS4 early release thing to ramp demand by increasing perceived rarity, or are they really doing a one-and-done run on these? If so, they'll be extremely rare.

The sales guy brought an ST around and tried to get me to bite on it. I told him no thanks, I just wanted to see what the deal on the RS was. He said that I should consider the ST, because it will fly. I lol'd.

Anyone with more info on allocation, let me know something. I don't want one, but I do want to know what is planned.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Well that would suck. I can't see Ford making them a 1 year 1 run vehicle. Not with the demand where it is now
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:34 AM
kaj

i don't see Ford doing all that work to make a one-run vehicle. that just makes no sense, they would loose their asses.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
A friend of mine is the general manager at the local Ford dealer. I popped by there today to find out the latest on the RS.

I talked to one of the sales guys, and he told me (as we already know), that if you haven't thrown your hat in the ring for one of these already, you're too late.

I asked if that was just first allocation, and he said he swept the allocations of other area dealerships, and all are spoken for. To his understanding, it's going to be a one year car and they're only getting four RS Foci EVER, and all of them are sold.

Is this like an Xbox One/PS4 early release thing to ramp demand by increasing perceived rarity, or are they really doing a one-and-done run on these? If so, they'll be extremely rare.

The sales guy brought an ST around and tried to get me to bite on it. I told him no thanks, I just wanted to see what the deal on the RS was. He said that I should consider the ST, because it will fly. I lol'd.

Anyone with more info on allocation, let me know something. I don't want one, but I do want to know what is planned.

Thanks.
you know the Cuga in Europe (they refer in the video for a rear end ) is a Ford Escape here in the states?

My buddy build the ford Fiesta ST with Cuga rear last or a year earlier, so became a 4wd car for rallly cross. Its a little mean machine.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i don't see Ford doing all that work to make a one-run vehicle. that just makes no sense, they would loose their asses.
Well, I'm sure the reast of world will get more than one run. I think (JUST MY OPINION) is that Ford, for some full retard reason, wanted to test the US market for the viability of really producing the car. Almost like they weren't confident the car would sell, which is reasonable considering their previous failures in the US performance 4-banger market. I think the insane demand will warrant more production for the US on the next run.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:20 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I have a gear speed calculator I use, and I got the ratios and plugged everything in for us to all see. The spacing on this car are pretty darn nice, IMO. I'm envious!

Final drive ratio 4.06 (first - fourth)
Final drive ratio 2.95 (fifth, sixth, reverse)
First: 3.23
Second: 1.95
Third: 1.32
Fourth: 1.03
Fifth: 1.13
Sixth: 0.94
Reverse: 1.42

Tire size: 235/35/19
Diameter: 25.5"
Rev limiter: 6700rpm
Max gear speeds at rev limiter:
1st: 39mph
2nd: 64.6mph
3rd: 95.4mph
4th: 122.2mph
5th: 153.3mph
6th: 184.3mph

Gears are spaced nearly perfectly for road course work.
Gears also actually great for quarter mile, allowing mid 11s in fourth gear on a modded car.
Sixth is nice and tall for fuel economy, but not ridiculously so, spaced out properly from fifth. If you have to shift into sixth on a road course, you're on a big boy track and have a lot more HP than stock!
Tall is an understatement...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:25 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks.
1. He's full of ****.
2. He's trying to sell you a car, not inform you.
3. Car companies don't do the R&D on a $40k car and then only sell them for one year. As kaj said, they'd lose their ***. Ford will sell as many as they possibly can, for as long as they can.
4. He's full of ****.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
1. He's full of ****.
2. He's trying to sell you a car, not inform you.
3. Car companies don't do the R&D on a $40k car and then only sell them for one year. As kaj said, they'd lose their ***. Ford will sell as many as they possibly can, for as long as they can.
4. He's full of ****.
I could tell the sales guy was full of it the second he said "it'll fly!"
I had him hold on to my card for if/when they have an RS open for public consumption.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:48 AM
EvoM Administrator

Back on the tires for the RS, these Pilot Sport Cup 2s are coming out now in more sizes.
I run 265/35/18 currently.
For direct price comparison to the two options, but in my size:
Pilot Super Sports: $224/tire (what I have now, regular option on RS)
Pilot Sport Cup 2: $451/tire

Dude! Those are like racecar tires, but you're definitely paying big money to replace them!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I've heard the same thing regarding this year's allocation.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:05 PM
kaj

Back on the tires for the RS, these Pilot Sport Cup 2s are coming out now in more sizes.
I run 265/35/18 currently.
For direct price comparison to the two options, but in my size:
Pilot Super Sports: $224/tire (what I have now, regular option on RS)
Pilot Sport Cup 2: $451/tire

Dude! Those are like racecar tires, but you're definitely paying big money to replace them!
wow. them's pricey. i think i'll stop complaining about my RE-71r LOL.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj

The local Ford dealership I visit told be they are only getting an allocation for 3 cars and 16 people are on their waiting list. I am number 17 now so 13 people would have to bail. Unless production ramps up these look rarer then WW Evo RS's.

Last edited by whtrice; Jan 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
He's misinformed and/or trying to sell you now on a car. Rather than limit his income to his non-existent allocation he's trying to move product now using the RS halo.

He'd probably be an even better friend if you paid a market adjustment fee on a RS.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Focus RS