Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 07:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The X rear diff can, um, shatter with abuse. It's usually the drag race guys that have an issue.
Right, so AYC, *not* ACD.

The UK guys have known about the AYC shortcomings for years, because they have had AYC for years before us.

I have personal experience with the shortcomings of AYC with added power and grip on the race track from supporting Time Attack and track day Evo 10's over the years.

With added grip and a good amount of power, the AYC starts doing funky things.

Ryan Gates was one of the first to acknowledge this in the states. I remember the day I discussed it with him in the paddocks.

But you know, the Evo is perfect and better then all the cars.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Ryan Gates was one of the first to acknowledge this in the states. I remember the day I discussed it with him in the paddocks.

But you know, the Evo is perfect and better then all the cars.
I guess there is a reason that most (all?) Evo RS models came without AYC. We just did not get the Evo X RS in the states. Presumably you could get an OEM Evo X RS rear diff though right?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
I guess there is a reason that most (all?) Evo RS models came without AYC. We just did not get the Evo X RS in the states. Presumably you could get an OEM Evo X RS rear diff though right?
Most guys just put a 9 rear diff in them. Robevo did it.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru

This message is hidden because nemsin is on your ignore list.
Dunno what you said but I'm sure it's highly insightful and full of facts!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Most guys just put a 9 rear diff in them. Robevo did it.
Yup. Evo 8/9 or a 2009+ Lancer Ralliart rear diff (same as Evo 10 RS).

You also need the rear axles and the RA rear diff mount.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
good news!!

that's mean they will have proper mechanical replacements for the stock awd system - ABS etc!

PS very few rally cars run 30 never mind 40 PSI. In fact I know maybe 2 or 3 which does 32 34 PSI

Those are the factory teams. I am running 23 -24 peak boost which is mostly if its hits for a sec or two. And I am still making 315 whp and 480 wtq we do a lots of pedal to the metal , but the boost drops off very fast, it wont matter you are on it. Its just a nature of the restricted engine which has 34 mm straw to suck the air in
The maximum air velocity past the the 34mm restrictor is supposed to be something like 34-38psi and 'should' not allow more than that limiting power and boost pressure. There are several cars that are right up to that threshold especially the 1600 cars.

We all know how Toyota got past that lol
Old Jan 27, 2016, 09:24 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Actually ACD is known to fail under high hp track use.
Hogwash.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
I've done it to my 05. It's just less trouble and weight, don't have to worry about the pump failing, etc. I've never noticed/used it so an 03 transfercase was cheaper and lighter...I sold the ACD case to recoup some money. My motor/tranny/case were already out of the car though. To do all this simply to change t-cases would be pointless I think. I only did it because everything was already out of the car.
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Non ACD with the helical front LSD is the way to go.

Welding=bad in our cars, DSMs are different animals.

The White Evo, Lukes, Mine, Jakes, BigJesse's, etc. all use the 04 RS "style" case. Its weight reduction and in my opinion the car handles better since the power application is more predictable. My car definitely doesnt push as bad now that it is non-ACD.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sfer-case.html
Old Jan 27, 2016, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
disappointing to here these cars may be limited production for the states. could be simply sales tactics for first year. but would suck if its truely going to be limited.

also sucks if rear end and clutches are maxed in stock form. pretty sure this car has no center diff. so installing normal rear diff would be complete no no. that would be like driving a welded centerdiff in the early AWD cars. sucks for a daily. tires have to be EXACTLY same diameter. which only lasts for a couple hundred miles at best. so unless you plan to rotate tires every 100 miles you would be screwed. especially with what these tires cost
Old Jan 27, 2016, 09:52 AM
EvoM Administrator

Better get that backpedal turning!
You said high horsepower track use. Apparently you meant dragstrip usage. Unmodified (sans clutch) 05-15 ACD Evo drivetrains can handle 500whp on a racetrack without problems.

You risk breaking any drivetrain with high traction and torque if you launch hard.

Back on topic and per the RS AWD manufacturer, the power from extra modifications all goes to the front wheels. I'd assume it'll be really reliable, and that limp mode they're experiencing on the test cars is protecting them from real damage. Probably run reliably for years that way. Might not be the best canvas for big power, but the aftermarket will answer that for us very quickly.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
For the sake of clarity here, are we talking ACD or AYC when we bring up failures?
not sure, I never had an issue in this department on my evo, so I never really paid much attention to what failed exactly on the few failures I've heard about on this forum
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Better get that backpedal turning!
You said high horsepower track use. Apparently you meant dragstrip usage. Unmodified (sans clutch) 05-15 ACD Evo drivetrains can handle 500whp on a racetrack without problems.
I am no expert. But I do know a lot of people prefer the non-ACD setup. ACD is more complex and has more parts that DO sometimes fail. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-problem.html

When JohnBradley recommends a Non ACD with the helical front LSD, I listen.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I am no expert. But I do know a lot of people prefer the non-ACD setup. ACD is more complex and has more parts that DO sometimes fail. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-problem.html

Is this your thing now, finding random threads to "support" your argument?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whooo this RS is going to be an AWESOME car!!!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Every 05+ Evo has a front helical LSD.
I've had Evos for the past 12 years. Never a driveline failure.

Quick Reply: Focus RS