Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

911s on Track

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
911s on Track

Curious if anyone has driven a 911 on track in anger. I've heard they are oversteery, they are pushy, everything in the middle. Maybe not as snappy as a mid-engine car. Curious if, with the lack of weight in the front, they would be similar in that they will need trail braking to turn in well, and can get on the power aggressively due to the rear engine over the rear wheels as well
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Curious if anyone has driven a 911 on track in anger. I've heard they are oversteery, they are pushy, everything in the middle. Maybe not as snappy as a mid-engine car. Curious if, with the lack of weight in the front, they would be similar in that they will need trail braking to turn in well, and can get on the power aggressively due to the rear engine over the rear wheels as well

Yes they are. At work we had a 911 Turbo S and even with the AWD it was tail happy. I"ve managed to spin it once on a corner on fresh tarmac in the middle of the summer with AWD and AWS. Otherwise it was extremely planted and changed directions fantastically but be aware of the weight in the back. As long as you plan for it it can be managed.

Years ago we had an older Carrera S 6-Speed and going around a corner was down right scary. It felt like I had a safe strapped to my *** and tried to run around a corner. It did stick but was very unsettling and you simply had to trust that the car was going to make the corner. If you lifted at all in a corner it was gone or you could try and hang the rear end out but was hard to balance. However once you get it they set killer times. The latest GT2 I think is now the 2nd fastest car Porsche 911 GT2 RS hit 6:47.3s and all that power in the rear IDK how it works. The Porsche 911 GT2 RS has set the fastest time for a lap of the Nürburgring by a road legal, rear-wheel drive car in series production.

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-drive-record

Old Dec 19, 2019, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I did one of those drive an exotic things in vegas which is basically a glorified autox course, I drove a Ferrari F430 and a GT3 RS, not exactly apples to apples but I found the F430 very understeery and the GT3's nose stuck like glue. I only got 5 laps so I wasn't able to work up to the GT3's limit, but at 8 or 9/10 it was amazing. The F430 sucked tho... I was at its limit by the second lap... honestly my miata does everything better except acceleration... but in the Ferrari's defense, its a school car thats beat to crap every day and prolly not very well taken care of, and pretty old at this point.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I did one of those drive an exotic things in vegas which is basically a glorified autox course, I drove a Ferrari F430 and a GT3 RS, not exactly apples to apples but I found the F430 very understeery and the GT3's nose stuck like glue. I only got 5 laps so I wasn't able to work up to the GT3's limit, but at 8 or 9/10 it was amazing. The F430 sucked tho... I was at its limit by the second lap... honestly my miata does everything better except acceleration... but in the Ferrari's defense, its a school car thats beat to crap every day and prolly not very well taken care of, and pretty old at this point.

we had 430’s at work too and they were and are fantastic. Extremely well balanced. The front tires were probably toast.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
generally Porsches are great on track. 911 just incredible. very well balanced cars , a lot better then an Evo.
Motorsport is about money, and there is a very good reason why the Porsche cost arms and legs. Like the GT3 and similar would destroy our car even tuned Evos. Completely build Evo is a different story, but we assume the Porsche stay stock in all comparision to the Evo lol
Old Dec 19, 2019, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

i'm more kind of wondering from a corner entry perspective - we trailbrake our evos so they rotate - do 911s, due to the opposite, a lack of load on front tires, need the same? and is getting on power, due to high load in rear, have more potential than a typical f/r?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 09:53 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I've driven an RS3 on a kart track. I think I reached the top of 3rd gear. Lots of tight turns to power out of. The owner kept the nannies on, since I was only getting one lap in it. You can hear them kick in. Each time was the rear stepping out. I wanted it to.. too bad the computers kicked in to bring it back in. Bummer. But, I could feel how easily it was to get the back end out. I felt like the car was really pushy until you really give it some gas. The car definitely rewarded a heavy foot I guess you gotta overcome the weight transfer to the rear LOL

The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Dec 20, 2019)
Old Dec 22, 2019, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I drove a gt3 for over an hour earlier this month. Very well balanced with and without the electronic aids on.
They have a few “modules “ at the Porsche experience to explore what the car and driver are capable of. The rear module is polished concrete and let’s you easily explore the cars limits at low speeds.
The handling and stopping of the gt3 was incredible. It changed directions well and inspired confidence.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
I drove a gt3 for over an hour earlier this month. Very well balanced with and without the electronic aids on.
They have a few “modules “ at the Porsche experience to explore what the car and driver are capable of. The rear module is polished concrete and let’s you easily explore the cars limits at low speeds.
The handling and stopping of the gt3 was incredible. It changed directions well and inspired confidence.
https://youtu.be/urimAYlBOXM
i'm sure it's totally different, but any comparison to the evo?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
it really depends on which generation you drive... the later models have longer wheelbase and they have ironed a lot of the earlier "scary" driving characteristics.. However, you are aware of the rear mass... turn in too aggresively and it will step out... Also, front is a bit light and likes to turn in on the brakes. But, get it right and you will be amazed by the traction on corner exit. Compared to a 911 of any generation, a Boxter/Cayman is super simple friendly car to drive..
Old Dec 23, 2019, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
it really depends on which generation you drive... the later models have longer wheelbase and they have ironed a lot of the earlier "scary" driving characteristics.. However, you are aware of the rear mass... turn in too aggresively and it will step out... Also, front is a bit light and likes to turn in on the brakes. But, get it right and you will be amazed by the traction on corner exit. Compared to a 911 of any generation, a Boxter/Cayman is super simple friendly car to drive..
starting 997s or 991s?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i'm sure it's totally different, but any comparison to the evo?
The GT3 changes direction and is much more balanced compared to my evo. Now, if I had aero, big tires,more spring rate it may be closer but the GT3 was much much easier to drive at the limit. An example would be turn 2 on that track, You could get up to 102mph, stab the brakes 100 ft from the turn, and get around the corner on your cell phone. I was going nearly as fast as the instructor after a handful of laps and had the same entry speed on that corner . There was even a bump before the turn that the GT3 didn't care about .

Its a different ballgame but alot more money to get into. I'd like to own a 911 within the next 5 years along with the Evo.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
The GT3 changes direction and is much more balanced compared to my evo. Now, if I had aero, big tires,more spring rate it may be closer but the GT3 was much much easier to drive at the limit. An example would be turn 2 on that track, You could get up to 102mph, stab the brakes 100 ft from the turn, and get around the corner on your cell phone. I was going nearly as fast as the instructor after a handful of laps and had the same entry speed on that corner . There was even a bump before the turn that the GT3 didn't care about .

Its a different ballgame but alot more money to get into. I'd like to own a 911 within the next 5 years along with the Evo.
that's what i'm thinking about right now. i've got a pristine e92 m3 that is great, a lot of fun, great handling, reasonably quick but.. at the end of the day it's no faster than my very mild stock turbo evo. the balance of the m3 is amazing but can't help thinking i'd rather have something a little more performance oriented, built from the ground up as performance car. both the evo and the m3 are just high performance variance of the commuter cars they're built off of. that's not a bad thing necessarily, but i think a 997.2 gt3 would really outshine my m3 here
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have a video of me almost spinning out the 2018 911 Turbo S with Rear Wheel Steering. The rear still wants to come around. I'll post it when I find it.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never driven a Porsche, so take and just ignore everything I am about to say, BUT...

The rear weight distro on the Porsche makes it inherently an oversteer car, but they do lots of things to compensate for it. The super wide rear tires help a lot, and all of the traction control stuff and whatever. The bottom line is that they are built from the get-go to be a performance vehicle and they are fast as CRAP on a track. I race with NASA and I can tell you that many of the fastest drivers out there are racing Porsches. They are extremely well-designed and they do what they are meant to do very very well. The oversteer thing is just something that you would have to get used to by building up to it. Should never be a real concern on the street, but if you drive on track it could take some learning.

I know that going from the Evo (very front-heavy, and therefore heavy understeer) to my RX7 (50/50 or so, much more neutral and tending towards oversteer depending on the braking/throttle situation) has been quite a learning curve. I would imagine taking the next step to a mid/rear engine car would be even more of a learning curve. Just my $0.02