Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

How not to get Scammed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How not to get Scammed

I haven't seen a thread like this yet so I figured I would create one. I have noticed there has been an increase in the amount of scams recently on this forum. Sad but true. Here are a few simple suggestions that will help you reduce the chance of being scammed.

1. Know who you are dealing with! - Your intuition is your best weapon against getting scammed. While it's unlikely it'll happen in the first place, you'll know when you're talking to someone who makes you uncomfortable. While a little discomfort will often rule out some safe buyers/sellers that you just find off-putting, unless you're selling some rare item you should be able to be picky and still find someone you're comfortable selling to or buying from. Ultimately, you just need to be patient. If you have a prospective buyer/seller in mind, just get to know him or her a little bit. Ask to talk on the phone. If you're interested in the item they're selling, ask a few questions about it. Questions about usage often lead to answers with personal information such as what model they drive or where they are located. You can use this opportunity to ask a couple of questions about the seller to get to know them a little bit.

If you're the seller, encourage the buyer to ask questions about the item. Make them feel comfortable, let them know a little bit about you, and try to find out a little bit about them. This can seem a little awkward but you can often find ways to ask a few questions. You're going to ask them to ship a part for you, so it's not unreasonable to ask where they live. You do need the address to ship to.

2. Use Paypal correctly! - This one is mentioned in almost every single scam thread. Paypal is a wonderful tool that enables a lot of merchants to sell and buy their products however, make sure you are weary about it. Here are a few things to note for both the buyer and seller;

Buyer:
-Does their Paypal email address match their regular email?
-Never ever ever send as a gift. Pay the extra 3% for peace of mind unless you personally know the person.
-Make sure the seller's account is verified.
-ALWAYS use a credit card - This will give you an easier chance of disputing if something should go wrong.

Seller:
-Ask the buyer to PM you their address AND put their address in the notes section when sending you money.

3. Know the difference between a scam and a good deal! - When it comes to buying, however, it can be hard to tell the difference between a good deal and a scam deal. There are good deals from legitimate sellers who were just in a bind and needed to offload their stuff quickly. Scams tend to show up in the exact same form, so you need to be cautious when approaching a great deal. For the most part, the best thing you can do is get to know the seller (as described above) to get a feeling for their level of trustworthiness. Keep an eye out for red flags, which often come in the form of unusual payment requests. Alternatively, move on. You're making a purchase, not a life-altering decision. If you miss out on one great deal, be patient and you'll find another. Rarely will prices go up if you're willing to wait awhile. There's very little you need right now. Being patient gives you a great advantage over the majority of people on this forum, in many situations.

4. Use reputable vendors! - Some of the best vendors are online and active on this forum such as MAP Performance, ETS, etc. They will go out of their way to help you. While the price might be a little bit more, you get the piece of mind knowing you will get your product exactly as they state it is. Pay the extra money to feel better about the deal. Just because they post a price, doesnt always mean they aren't willing to negotiate. It NEVER hurts to ask.

5. Document EVERYTHING! - This might seem like common sense but it really will make a difference. If you are buying parts, take a video of you opening up the package and inspecting the item throughly to make sure it is described as it was in the thread. Make sure it is also time stamped. If you are the seller, take a lot of pictures and videos to show that the item you are selling is indeed as you describe it and it is time stamped. Make sure to save all pms, emails, text messages, and anything else about the buyer/seller.

If you are the seller, remember these tips (courtesy of thebluesky)
Always, always ship to the address that paypal provides and not an alternate address. Paypal actually instructs that you do this and will not provide seller protection should you choose not to do this.

Always get package tracking of delivery confirmation. This will provide a record of delivery should your buyer claim to have never received the package. Strongly consider insuring your shipments for the value of the sale. Insurance provides package tracking and protects both the buyer and the seller against loss or damage while in transit.

Never, ever ship anything until the payment clears. Paypal will note whether the payment is cleared or not.

Provide clear timelines of when you'll ship prior to completing your sale, and meet those timelines or let your buyer know of the issue immediately.

Document your serial numbered parts or get in the habit of marking them in a way that's identifiable and does not damage the part prior to selling them. This will protect you in the event of a false claim of defect or damage where they keep your part and send you their jacked up part.

Finally, and most importantly, clear communication with your buyer in both your ad and in your correspondences. Make it clear exactly what they're getting and when they're getting it. If there's an issue or delay, let the buyer know immediately rather than leaving him in limbo. Always provide accurate shipping information to include the tracking or delivery confirmation information.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

Those are just a few things that can help you. Hopefully this thread will help members realize that even though it may seem like a hassle... these steps will help reduce the chance of being scammed. I am open to make any changes you might see fit to this thread and hopefully, it'll become a tool used often to help reduce the amount of scams.

Last edited by xTiCkxMYxLaInTx; Oct 2, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Good Post!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Good Post!
Thanks Michael! It's just sad to see so many people getting scammed and when I read through the threads, most of them could have been preventable. People are way to willing to send hard earned money to random people
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write up bro, also the 15 posts seller, I've seen that happen way too many times -_- thank you for posting this up. Easy steps to take to prevent scams.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I think "know who you are dealing with" is the end-all...

Paypal gifts are normal and safe when you know who you are dealing with, period...

If someone has 100 feedbacks in the last 12 months, its likely they are not out to scam you. Investigate their feedbacks. What do people have to say about the transaction?

If there is an issue along the way and nobody's perfect, how did they handle it and what did the buyer seller have to say about it in their feedback ratings?

I have had a number of people send money for a part, but with their 0 feedback, low post history, have decided to send their money back to them.

Scams are not limited to sellers, there are scamming buyers too, out to get your part for free. I would rather send back their money and know I still have a $1500 part in my hands than risk some shennanigans on a stolen credit card or chargeback down the road.

I can wait for the right buyer or seller with proper credentials before I do the deal.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
I think "know who you are dealing with" is the end-all...

Paypal gifts are normal and safe when you know who you are dealing with, period...

If someone has 100 feedbacks in the last 12 months, its likely they are not out to scam you. Investigate their feedbacks. What do people have to say about the transaction?

If there is an issue along the way and nobody's perfect, how did they handle it and what did the buyer seller have to say about it in their feedback ratings?

I have had a number of people send money for a part, but with their 0 feedback, low post history, have decided to send their money back to them.

Scams are not limited to sellers, there are scamming buyers too, out to get your part for free. I would rather send back their money and know I still have a $1500 part in my hands than risk some shennanigans on a stolen credit card or chargeback down the road.

I can wait for the right buyer or seller with proper credentials before I do the deal.
All valid points Thank you. Basically be patient and you will get what you want...and know who you are dealing with. I wanted to add the other things because someone can always make up stories about who they are. It's just added protection and peace of mind
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, let's not forget the sellers too. Scamming or perceived scamming is a two way street these days.

Always, always ship to the address that paypal provides and not an alternate address. Paypal actually instructs that you do this and will not provide seller protection should you choose not to do this.

Always get package tracking of delivery confirmation. This will provide a record of delivery should your buyer claim to have never received the package. Strongly consider insuring your shipments for the value of the sale. Insurance provides package tracking and protects both the buyer and the seller against loss or damage while in transit.

Never, ever ship anything until the payment clears. Paypal will note whether the payment is cleared or not.

Provide clear timelines of when you'll ship prior to completing your sale, and meet those timelines or let your buyer know of the issue immediately.

Document your serial numbered parts or get in the habit of marking them in a way that's identifiable and does not damage the part prior to selling them. This will protect you in the event of a false claim of defect or damage where they keep your part and send you their jacked up part.

Finally, and most importantly, clear communication with your buyer in both your ad and in your correspondences. Make it clear exactly what they're getting and when they're getting it. If there's an issue or delay, let the buyer know immediately rather than leaving him in limbo. Always provide accurate shipping information to include the tracking or delivery confirmation information.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

this needs to be stickied
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thebluesky
Hey, let's not forget the sellers too. Scamming or perceived scamming is a two way street these days.

Good suggestions.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:34 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had two lifelong interests: music and audio, and cars and driving. As such, I'm also involved in the (High-End) audio community and have been for many, many years. Folks trade equipment fairly regularly. We're talking used preamps that range from $2K on up, handmade phono cartridges that start at a grand ...you get the idea. Scamming is essentially unheard of. It's common - I have done this more than once - to send thousands in cash to a total stranger with no worry as to the outcome. OTOH, this community - our virtual home - is being invaded by scum. It's the only word for it. Scum. I can't even fathom what holes these people crawled out of. So, what's the solution for not getting ripped off? Don't buy stuff from the classifieds. Seriously.

Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I've had two lifelong interests: music and audio, and cars and driving. As such, I'm also involved in the (High-End) audio community and have been for many, many years. Folks trade equipment fairly regularly. We're talking used preamps that range from $2K on up, handmade phono cartridges that start at a grand ...you get the idea. Scamming is essentially unheard of. It's common - I have done this more than once - to send thousands in cash to a total stranger with no worry as to the outcome. OTOH, this community - our virtual home - is being invaded by scum. It's the only word for it. Scum. I can't even fathom what holes these people crawled out of. So, what's the solution for not getting ripped off? Don't buy stuff from the classifieds. Seriously.

I believe that there are many honest members here following the rules and doing everything right. It's sad to see, like you said, the number of members being scammed recently. Honestly, the solution is to crack down on access to the marketplace. For example;

-New required post count - 50 posts
-"Team" of members who strictly check the content of posts. This is one that I can not stress enough. I browse the forum all day and see someone post in 8 threads in a row. When I check the thread, it's the most useless post and half the time doesn't make sense. And the best part is when they stop posting... guess what magic number their post count is at?

We need to get awareness out to everyone. Because unlike yourself and I, who have experience beforehand with dealing like this (I play tournament paintball as well and do sell/buy/trade high end paintball markers), some people might not have the experience to go ahead and hammer out a deal.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Bump so people see this..
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this deserves a sticky. Very informative to people who aren't as savvy with doing private deals.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do not believe that all of suggestion #2 in the first post is good advice. Sellers should only ship to the official verified PayPal address associated with the buyer's account. There was one recent dispute that came down to exactly this issue (albeit during a return): the item was shipped to the address provided in a comment or email, but it wasn't the PayPal verified address, so PayPal did not consider the item to be delivered.

Also, I'd pay for a signature on delivery, no matter what. There have been too many "I didn't get it and you can't prove that I did" or "my neighbor must have stolen it" scams lately.

The thing to remember, as a seller, is that PayPal is incredibly biased against you. You must dot every i and cross every t. All the buyer needs to do is drool on his or her keyboard to win a dispute.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^ correct...Signature on delivery is huge.... I read of a recent one where the seller said there was a delivery confirmation but when the buyer got home nothing was there. Was the buyer being honest or did he just say it wasnt there? who knows