Notices

TC-SST Leaking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kylekitchen, did your leak reappear after they fixed it?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by xi
Are you referring to this? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8944660-post33.html

I thought it was a misunderstanding.

Yes it was a misunderstanding. There is no TSB for the leaking filter housings that I know of.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KyleKitchen
Make sure you go to a good dealer to have the TC-SST looked at. After I had my leak fixed I started getting the transmission over heating warning and gears slipping. I took it to another dealer because I had nothing but problems with the other one and this new dealer wont even touch my transmission because they said the other dealer probably screwed something up (over filling/underfilling etc.). and since its a return repair theyd have to bite the cost on it so now I have to go back to the ****ty dealer to have them figure out and fix whatever the problem is. So be careful where you go!
This is exactly why I don't go to the dealerships anymore. I'd rather pay for the parts than let some idiot F up my SST. Since you live in CA I'd recommend checking out which of the SST savy shops out there is closest to you and make some friends
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
In all honesty, if you can change your motor oil and know how to measure fluids then you can change the SST fluid yourself with no issues.

It's really easy.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by SpinOne05
Kylekitchen, did your leak reappear after they fixed it?
No the leak never came back!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
In all honesty, if you can change your motor oil and know how to measure fluids then you can change the SST fluid yourself with no issues.

It's really easy.

I totally agree. I probably will change it myself when it comes time to empty my wallet for the SST fluid.
But since its a warranty thing, I'd rather let the dealership pay for it! haha
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:37 PM

I have found a small leak in that area.
The leak is situated in the connection between the hoses that goes to the trans oil cooler and the plastic filter housing. Seems that a better clamp could solve this problem.

If you start the car and look at the connection when it pressurizes you can actually see how small oil particles are coming out in between the hose and the filterhousing.

As always with oil it looks worse than it really is, looks like more oil has leaked out than it has.
However, this issue must definitely be solved during warranty.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by nginear
Yes it was a misunderstanding. There is no TSB for the leaking filter housings that I know of.
If you remove the term 'Technical Service Bulletin' and replace it with 'Hotline Fix' then yes Mitsubishi do have some paperwork on it.

It's on a customer complaint basis like most hotline fixes, but the basics that are covered are:

1) Subject: Oil weeps from the oil filter bracket hose nipple on TC-SST transmissions.

(2) Possible Cause: The production mould used in the manufacture of the oil filter bracket had worn to a point where it caused a bur to be cast on the hose nipple. This bur caused oil to weep from between the hose nipple and the hose.

(3) Improvement: The mould has been repaired and a maintenance schedule has been introduced to ensure the quality of the oil filter bracket is maintained.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kijima
If you remove the term 'Technical Service Bulletin' and replace it with 'Hotline Fix' then yes Mitsubishi do have some paperwork on it.

It's on a customer complaint basis like most hotline fixes, but the basics that are covered are:
I still have to replace my filter housing. I've been lazy and it's slowly been leaking all over the underside of my car over the last 7,000 miles (7,000 miles after changing the fluid and filter and finding the leak the first time)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:27 PM

7,000 miles... Awww c'mon Bryan that's a bit slack. :P
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kijima
7,000 miles... Awww c'mon Bryan that's a bit slack. :P
I've lost a bit of motivation of working on my own cars over the years. ;P
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:39 PM

You are singing to the choir.

Our Time Attack car is in A1 Condition, my daily beater however...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:29 PM

Hi there brotherhood! Hey i just came here today to look at some info, so here is my story:

October 2011 i bought a mistubishi lancer ralliart, it has now 36.500km on it and full warranty...

So let me tell you the story of my TC-SST failure very quick, so around 33.000 i started to fell the car clutch slipping and not changing gears smooth as before some times. Now the car would not do this regularly, once and a while it would have these moments and I was worried about it...

So mitsubishi said it could be electric, bla bla bla, nothing was done! So a little before regular service a light came on in the dashboard saying...: Transmission srvice required and then the car would not shift, so they called me back and said to reset the car and start it back again that most of you are well aware as i can see...

Either way i called them and they took the car in, they ran the codes and i had a report of code: P2733

The diag that has to do with the torque converter or clutch solenoid control...

They also found a leak on the case/cover of the transmission that only God knows when it appeared/happened...

Now this situation is being dealt with as I write this, but what i ask to all good samaritans and those that had the same unfortunate problems is...:

if the leak and therfore lack of oil/fluid could have caused the symptoms and the appearing of code: P2733

And if anyone has had this same issue before and had their transmission replaced for a new one since im fully covered by warranty and the lack of attention and negligence of the dealerships to detect the leak before it would damage the transmission or the light to appear and therefore the code: P2733

The lack of info on their side and the time to get back to me with a solution is making me feel uncomforable and suspecious about what they are gonna come up with...

So please if you read this get back to me asap so i can go with wisdom/light and not the darkness they try to cover me about the issue... What im reading here about many of you is making me realize there is much more to it than they tell me!

P.S- even though a "baby" to the forum let me congratulate the forum and its users thanking all of you for shedding light on many issues and giving the owners a voice to be heard and understood! I wish you all good luck, thank you
Old May 11, 2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Yup mine is leaking from the side as well, looks like from the trans oil filter housing.

2010 RA SB

- Bryan
Mine just start to leak from the oil filter. I just noticed this the other day while doing some work on it. Car has 182,000kms. 2009 Ralli Sportbac.