Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 Oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 Oil consumption?

Issues resolved, one time instance

Last edited by AllDayAnthony; Aug 27, 2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: thread can be deleted if needed
Old May 28, 2016, 06:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Heres an older thread that may give you some ideas

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html
Old May 28, 2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Heres an older thread that may give you some ideas

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html
I would say that was somewhat helpful, somewhat not? For some people it burns, for others it shouldn't be burning at all? I've never seen one drop on the floor of my garage/work parking spot. The only thing I think could be relevant is that I do warm up my car every morning and let it idle for a few minutes.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:15 PM

I let me car warm up every morning for a few minutes and the oil hasn't been a problem
Old May 29, 2016, 02:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you done a compression and leakdown test?
Old May 29, 2016, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
All engines burn oil. Some oil has to get past the valve seals to lubricate the guides. Some oil has to get by the rings to lubricate the cylinders. Owners who see full on the dipstick after three or five thousand miles have enough contaminates in the oil to maintain the volume. I've had the experience where my car was seeing only city miles in cold weather, the dipstick read full and then when I put the car on the road, at the end of the day the oil level was down a quart. What happened was that all the gasoline and water in the oil got burned off.

Anyway, 0.3 quart or less in 1500 to 2000 miles causes me to suggest - no problem.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
All engines burn oil. Some oil has to get past the valve seals to lubricate the guides. Some oil has to get by the rings to lubricate the cylinders. Owners who see full on the dipstick after three or five thousand miles have enough contaminates in the oil to maintain the volume. I've had the experience where my car was seeing only city miles in cold weather, the dipstick read full and then when I put the car on the road, at the end of the day the oil level was down a quart. What happened was that all the gasoline and water in the oil got burned off.

Anyway, 0.3 quart or less in 1500 to 2000 miles causes me to suggest - no problem.
Agree with this. Your engine is fine OP.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb

Thanks for the good info man! I'm also one of those guys that drains the oil to the ever last drop before putting the new stuff in. I checked out my intake piping into the turbo and all looks 100% as well as my plugs on top. From now on I'll just plan on checking the oil every 500 miles and top it off as needed

Thanks for the reassurance!