Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo in Speed World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Hasn't submitted anything.. not that I haven't been thinking about it though.

Talking with some guys that prep those cars.. the Evo needs a good engine/HP package.
Even if we take the AMS evo as is, throw a dogbox at it, the 40/60 center diff, etc, we MIGHT run up front SWC GT lap times.. the poster that mentioned getting the consessions to make it competitive is the key.

The Porsches are something like 2600 lbs and 500HP from what I understand, the Viper is probably heavier, but look at the HP.. the Caddys are tube frame essentially.. then we kick in reworked suspension geometry etc.

I do agree with the poster that said the ratings would go up though if one were running up front.. there is a whole grop out there, many found on this board that would embrace it much easier than the Viper, vettes, caddy, porsches, etc..

My other thought isn't SWC, but Grand American Roadrace.. cheaper to be ocmpetitive, good fields in their upper division, good package for the Cup series, and run by NASCAR.. so they would have a much better chance of "seeing the light" and making sure that an AMS (or Mueller or Buschur or Vishnu, or etc) coming in and being competitive.

Another issue is that though there is no doubt that the top Evo Tuners I have mentioned are good, are they ready to run a full-time race team? AMS is getting there, but there are lots of other logistics to consider, and even with the tallent it would be tough to jump right in and be competitive.

Jon
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

^^you are so right. The SWC is a very competitive series. The Skyline ran only 2 races this year if I recall, then he dropped out. I am not even sure he completed all the races he ran in. The drivers name was Igor Shushko or something like that. Same thing with that STI. You only caught glimpses of it as the leaders ran past or at the start of the race because they like to look at turn one all the time.

I dont think the SCCA would allow these cars to compete on the same level as the V8 and Porsche's. The last race at Miller motorsports Park the Stasis Audi team was screaming about their boost being taken away, they finished horribly campared to the previous race that they won. Turbo car wins, SCCA takes away your boost. What would have been wrong with leaving the boost level alone and giving them the rewards weight?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly.. which is why I think that Grand Am would be better.. SWC is a heck of a series, but rules creep is killing it.

Grand Am guys know marketing, they also fight to keep costs semi-contained.

Jon
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by althemean
^^you are so right. The SWC is a very competitive series. The Skyline ran only 2 races this year if I recall, then he dropped out. I am not even sure he completed all the races he ran in. The drivers name was Igor Shushko or something like that. Same thing with that STI. You only caught glimpses of it as the leaders ran past or at the start of the race because they like to look at turn one all the time.

I dont think the SCCA would allow these cars to compete on the same level as the V8 and Porsche's. The last race at Miller motorsports Park the Stasis Audi team was screaming about their boost being taken away, they finished horribly campared to the previous race that they won. Turbo car wins, SCCA takes away your boost. What would have been wrong with leaving the boost level alone and giving them the rewards weight?
The SCCA looks at data from the cars and compares it with the data from the other cars and makes their adjustments based on that (they usually mess with HP, base weight and weight distribution). It is not perfect and they do too much some times (Stasis Audi) or too little other times (Corvette in GT). It is very hard to equalize all the vastly different cars (and of course the teams are doing everything they can to retain or gain an advantage). We could be competitive with an EVO, no doubt at all, it would just take 500k to 600k per year per car and off you go
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by racerjon1
AMS Hasn't submitted anything.. not that I haven't been thinking about it though.

Talking with some guys that prep those cars.. the Evo needs a good engine/HP package.
Even if we take the AMS evo as is, throw a dogbox at it, the 40/60 center diff, etc, we MIGHT run up front SWC GT lap times.. the poster that mentioned getting the consessions to make it competitive is the key.

The Porsches are something like 2600 lbs and 500HP from what I understand, the Viper is probably heavier, but look at the HP.. the Caddys are tube frame essentially.. then we kick in reworked suspension geometry etc.

I do agree with the poster that said the ratings would go up though if one were running up front.. there is a whole grop out there, many found on this board that would embrace it much easier than the Viper, vettes, caddy, porsches, etc..

My other thought isn't SWC, but Grand American Roadrace.. cheaper to be ocmpetitive, good fields in their upper division, good package for the Cup series, and run by NASCAR.. so they would have a much better chance of "seeing the light" and making sure that an AMS (or Mueller or Buschur or Vishnu, or etc) coming in and being competitive.

Another issue is that though there is no doubt that the top Evo Tuners I have mentioned are good, are they ready to run a full-time race team? AMS is getting there, but there are lots of other logistics to consider, and even with the tallent it would be tough to jump right in and be competitive.

Jon
The Porsches are 2800lbs and 440 (crank) hp. It does not matter, it is in SCCA's interest to make the EVO competitive they want as many makes and models in their "World Challenge" series as possible. It just takes the money and expertise to build a reliable car and the budget to run it (the hard part). If we could make a Volvo competitive the an EVO is a walk in the park It's just a shame that has no $$$ or we'd already be running competitively
Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

I was talking to Keith Videtto and Kevin Chambers (they run vette's in SWC).. they said it would cost about 20-30K per race to run a car in SWC. Now, EVERY car is different, but do you think it could be done maybe 2-4 races per season minus the cost of the car?

I'm sure there are some good sponsors that would pick up the evo

-Kyle
Old Jul 27, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Paul,

Do you think SCCA could be convinced by an independent team the ruleset needed, or close to it for an Evo? Yes it is in their best interest.. but sometimes I wonder about SCCA, especially and what they deem as "their best interest" if it were not coming from a manufacturer.

Jon
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Paul,

Do you think SCCA could be convinced by an independent team the ruleset needed, or close to it for an Evo? Yes it is in their best interest.. but sometimes I wonder about SCCA, especially and what they deem as "their best interest" if it were not coming from a manufacturer.

Jon
Jon, I just wouldn't worry about any of that. We and the SCCA can speculate all we want about what it would take to make a competitive WC car. What would I do? I would just built a car go test it at tracks that the WC runs on get it to competitive times then submit the data to SCCA and Viola we have a draft VTS, it is that simple. We can (and do) go round and round here about the SCCA and the big conspiracy against the little guys but it's BS, If you knew how fast the badly driven 996tt's were relative to the rest of the field it would shock you.

You need a smart reasonably funded team (so they can continually develop the car as well as run it) and a decent driver. It's actually easier running your own car (a unique to the series car) because you don't have to worry about being outspent by another team with the same car (on development or driver) and having SCCA change your VTS because of them.

It always come down to money, we'd all like to see an EVO in WC GT but you need to spend at least a HALF A MILLION DOLLARS a year per car, I think that's the real reason we haven't seen one out there.

Someone write the check and I'll finish in the top 5 in Sebring next March. I know everyone and everything it would take to make that happen right now writing this, just need the check
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chronohunter
just need the check
I think we have about 60,000 members here. Maybe if everyone gives 10 bucks to US, we can run an evom WC car. Yeah...that will happen.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
I think we have about 60,000 members here. Maybe if everyone gives 10 bucks to US, we can run an evom WC car. Yeah...that will happen.
I'ts prob easier to have 5,000 evo owners donate $100 !! lets get a sticky thread at the top of EVOm...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I knew someone that would write the check.. trust me, I am always looking.

If I found the $ for Rolex series though, I could convince You and Daddio to come team up with me for the 24 Hours right?

Jon K
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, and if we get members to donate.. what do we do, have a poll for the drivers?

I can see it now, a sticky for a PayPal account and a sticky poll for drivers..

Paul, Mark D, me, Leh, Cory, Robi, Mueller, Chad Block.. etc..

Or maybe we just have a run-off for the seats in a Stock MR at the next Evo Tuner Shootout.

Jon K (yes half kidding.. but only half.)
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkyle
I think the LG motorsports vette weighs 2700 lbs and has 570 hp
LG Motorsports rules!!!!

Then again, he's a good friend of my dads (old racing buddies).
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, and if we get members to donate.. what do we do, have a poll for the drivers?

I can see it now, a sticky for a PayPal account and a sticky poll for drivers..

Paul, Mark D, me, Leh, Cory, Robi, Mueller, Chad Block.. etc..

Or maybe we just have a run-off for the seats in a Stock MR at the next Evo Tuner Shootout.

Jon K (yes half kidding.. but only half.)
Sticky Poll for Drivers - Popularity Contest would be more accurate.

Shootout sounds best
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
What would I do? I would just built a car go test it at tracks that the WC runs on get it to competitive times then submit the data to SCCA and Viola we have a draft VTS,
This is the path my team has been on for the past calendar year, and it still is an ongoing process, with the focus on increasing our speed without compromising reliability. We have lowered the lap records for club racing almost every time we have unloaded our car this season, and we are currently retooling parts of our package in our quest for more speed. It is possible to run the Laguna World Challenge race, but we will only do so if our homolgated car has the speed to run midpack or better, as it does nothing for our sponsors having the car sit on the last row of the grid, as the Subaru and Skyline did at the LBGP. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Evo in Speed World Challenge