Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo in Speed World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 07:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsnt
Those are some cool webpages. I too have a thing for old tracks, roads, bridges, train tracks, etc. There is just something cool as hell about knowing something was there and the possibility of even catching a glimpse of whats left.
+1 thanks for the great links

we'll just have to wait for some video game to drive them now
Old Sep 8, 2006, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

BTW and back on topic(!) if anyone is really serious (or really curious) about running an EVO in WC GT and will be attending either Road Atlanta or Laguna please come by and see me at the At Speed Motorsports trailer. I promise a tour of the now race winning Volvo and passionate discussion of the potential of an EVO in the series. I can also show you exactly what it would take (which has a lot more impact when you're in the paddock staring at a similar set-up).

take care,
Paul

Last edited by chronohunter; Sep 8, 2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=chronohunter]heck you should have seen Bridgehampton, now that was a "beat up old track" but the layout...wow! I like Summit because it has a nice rhythm and fast(ish) corners (that's all I need, I'm easy!). VIR is fantastic in a well balanced high HP car

I guess it depends on what you are driving and who you are racing at the time. The Evo does well at Summit against the other T2 cars, it does poorly at a high momentum track trying to keep up with the 350Zs in the corners (like Limerock or Roebling rd) and does great at VIR (where I was fortunate enough to win and set the T2 track record last month) due to the nice transitions and 3 nice straights. I of course had Paul as my instructor for my first HPDE (Porshce club) there a couple years back in my Eagle Talon, so that was key to my success
Marty

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Sep 8, 2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsnt
Those are some cool webpages. I too have a thing for old tracks, roads, bridges, train tracks, etc. There is just something cool as hell about knowing something was there and the possibility of even catching a glimpse of whats left.
Agreed. Sometimes however it might be best to leave history where it is and not revisit it. Back in the mid-70s when I was just 12 or 13, I crewed for my dad when he raced a Triumph TR4 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in northern Illinois. Last month he drove up from Texas with his big blonde girlfriend in their new yellow MINI to visit me at the track while I was instructing for an Audi Chicago HPDE.

I had been anticipating the occasion for several weeks. He hadn't seen the track for 29 years. I carefully adjusted the Schroth harness and strapped him in the right seat of my RSX Type-S. His girth had grown considerably since his last time at the track, but I still got him hunkered down good with the four-point harness.

First lap out I warmed the tires and brakes, and pointed out Turn 3D which wasn't there when he raced. Second lap I picked it up a little, but decided to still hold back quite a bit to let the anticipation build. This was the first time I had driven him around any track. With him living down in Texas and me up in Minnesota we hadn't managed to get together at a track until now, even though I have been driving road courses for the past five years.

So nearing the end of our second lap, we come around Turn 7 onto the main straight and he says, "Okay, that's good enough. Pull in the pits."

Two laps. He lasted two not-even-medium-speed laps.

My father, the man who brought me into this world (with a lot of help from my mother and her cute little MGA), who taught me most everything I know about cars, who gave me an Austin-Healey Sprite (in pieces) for my high school graduation, this man wanted out of the car after just two laps?!

"My leg is mashing against the center console and it really hurts" he said.

Okay, I guess I need to be more understanding. My dad is 64 and not exactly in the shape he was in the last time he drove on this track. Blackhawk has mostly right hand turns so his left leg was taking a beating.

But then he adds, "That was a LOT faster than I ever went in the Triumph! You're driving's great but my body just can't take it."

Okay. I guess two laps was enough after all. I love my father dearly.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
had Paul as my instructor for my first HPDE (Porshce club) there a couple years back in my Eagle Talon, so that was key to my success
Marty
hey I remember that! you car was pretty quick we were chewing through those high-dollar P-cars . I was there doing one of my guest stints for the instructors and they volunteered me to coach (bastards!) and yours was one of the few cars I hopped in to...
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evoatcha
Agreed. Sometimes however it might be best to leave history where it is and not revisit it. Back in the mid-70s when I was just 12 or 13, I crewed for my dad when he raced a Triumph TR4 at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in northern Illinois. Last month he drove up from Texas with his big blonde girlfriend in their new yellow MINI to visit me at the track while I was instructing for an Audi Chicago HPDE.

I had been anticipating the occasion for several weeks. He hadn't seen the track for 29 years. I carefully adjusted the Schroth harness and strapped him in the right seat of my RSX Type-S. His girth had grown considerably since his last time at the track, but I still got him hunkered down good with the four-point harness.

First lap out I warmed the tires and brakes, and pointed out Turn 3D which wasn't there when he raced. Second lap I picked it up a little, but decided to still hold back quite a bit to let the anticipation build. This was the first time I had driven him around any track. With him living down in Texas and me up in Minnesota we hadn't managed to get together at a track until now, even though I have been driving road courses for the past five years.

So nearing the end of our second lap, we come around Turn 7 onto the main straight and he says, "Okay, that's good enough. Pull in the pits."

Two laps. He lasted two not-even-medium-speed laps.

My father, the man who brought me into this world (with a lot of help from my mother and her cute little MGA), who taught me most everything I know about cars, who gave me an Austin-Healey Sprite (in pieces) for my high school graduation, this man wanted out of the car after just two laps?!

"My leg is mashing against the center console and it really hurts" he said.

Okay, I guess I need to be more understanding. My dad is 64 and not exactly in the shape he was in the last time he drove on this track. Blackhawk has mostly right hand turns so his left leg was taking a beating.

But then he adds, "That was a LOT faster than I ever went in the Triumph! You're driving's great but my body just can't take it."

Okay. I guess two laps was enough after all. I love my father dearly.
Nice story, It is amazing how fast a good (ok great) modern car is
Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
hey I remember that! you car was pretty quick we were chewing through those high-dollar P-cars . I was there doing one of my guest stints for the instructors and they volunteered me to coach (bastards!) and yours was one of the few cars I hopped in to...
Yep, you almost caused a couple of the 911 TT guys to wreck their cars because they refused to let a 10 year old Talon pass them!! Being my first track event ever I wasnt very happy with my instructor and when I was asking you about the course, you volunteered to take me out for a session. Had it not been for that I probably woulda stuck to Rally stuff. You also taught me just how fast you can go through turn 10 at VIR which is now my favorite corner on the track, that feeling of juuuuuust barely being in control is awesome. Glad to see you are doing well in WC, Ill be at the runoffs this year in my EVO IX. I ended up 4th in T2 in the Nationals NE Region and hopefully will do well in Kansas.

Take care, Marty

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Sep 9, 2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Yep, you almost caused a couple of the 911 TT guys to wreck their cars because they refused to let a 10 year old Talon pass them!! Being my first track event ever I wasnt very happy with my instructor and when I was asking you about the course, you volunteered to take me out for a session. Had it not been for that I probably woulda stuck to Rally stuff. You also taught me just how fast you can go through turn 10 at VIR which is now my favorite corner on the track, that feeling of juuuuuust barely being in control is awesome. Glad to see you are doing well in WC, Ill be at the runoffs this year in my EVO IX. I ended up 4th in T2 in the Nationals NE Region and hopefully will do well in Kansas.

Take care, Marty
Best of luck and please let me know if there's anything you need, we'll all be pulling for you
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
Best of luck and please let me know if there's anything you need, we'll all be pulling for you
Cool appreciate it, If you have some good in car video and a few super secret hints to aid me in getting around HPT quicker, that would be good
Marty
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul - Galati thanked you on Speed's coverage of Mosport SWC today