Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS Oil Pan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Oil Pan?

Anyone in this group have an AMS Oil Pan? I am having numerous problems making it work on my car and want to talk to someone who has one on their car (or someone in the know who is not the shop doing my install or AMS).

Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
why are you having trouble with it?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Two different pans from them, 4 attempts at installing it, and the thing keeps leaking from the seal with the block.

Before that we had numerous fitment problems with the crank scraper and the oil return lines, but those are sorted out (by using a Cosworth crank scraper and re-doing the oil return lines). The leaks though are obviously a total deal breaker. :-(
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nils has one on his car and working.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I was talking about this with some other evo wrench turners and we all agreed that we'd use nothing but "Right Stuff" sealant when we went that route, because of the slight possibility that the alum. pan wasn't going to seal "oem" style. What have you used so far?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Who is Nils?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I was talking about this with some other evo wrench turners and we all agreed that we'd use nothing but "Right Stuff" sealant when we went that route, because of the slight possibility that the alum. pan wasn't going to seal "oem" style. What have you used so far?
Mitsu sealant, followed by Hondabond. Both were approved by AMS.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Hmm, well my guess is the gasket isn't swelling up or the alum is warping or shrinking some how to cause a gap. Is it at idle? What side or sides is it coming from, little, a lot, pics? My experience is that right stuff is insane, lots of 1000+hp guys from dsm, supra, etc use that stuff with no gasket. I'd try that, knowing your experience you've tried just about everything else. Just don't get it on anything you don't intend to use it on Advance/autozone etc should have it.

Nils is a local time attack guy, has lots of products from various companies on his car. He's got a blog like yours, which he might have the pan on. Been on the boards since like 1903 Slowest driver eeevveeerrr

Last edited by Balrok; Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by peter*g
Who is Nils?
username: nils. He installed the pan himself on a 2.2L stroker motor. His car is running now with the pan in place.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have it installed on my stroker you have to modify it so It can clear depending on what you using, mine is working great.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

So, quick update here. We did get it installed without leaks, but it took some pretty serious work. This is definitely not a DYI install:

- We found 6 points of interference keeping the pan from sitting flush with the block. 2 points were the APR hardware we used on the bottom end, so that's not a huge surprise. The other 4 points were the cradle. We had to grind down the thickness of the welds on parts of the pan to make it fit.
- The pan itself was slightly warped from welding. None of the edges were truly flat (as checked on a proper straight edge). Why Moroso doesn't deck these things (like you do to a head) after they're assembled is beyond me.
- We used lots of the Mitsubishi bond and let it sit overnight to give it the optimal curing time. The excess bond is not great (some of it may make it's way inside the pan, although we did our best to avoid it), but it will work.

Ran it on track yesterday and no leaks so far. Overall, this part is not a high point in my experience with AMS. I have been ecstatic about every other part I bought from them (intercooler, oil cooler, rear mustache bar eliminator, and lots more), but this part requires a ton of work to make right. Just my $0.02 -- Moroso should make it right for them, or AMS should find another supplier.

Thanks to everyone for advice and input on this one.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter, that's exactly the problem that we had with the Moroso 1g pan. We had to grind the inside of the pan down to get it to clear the cradle. When we did that it caused a leak because it had to be ground all the way to the outside of the pan.

Common sense said to weld the outside of the pan where the leak was right? Well there was a screw hole there to hold the pan to the block so it was impossible to weld it there and have that screw in the pan to keep the seal against the block tight.

It sounds like on the 4-9 pan that the situation is similar but not fatal. We threw the pan in the trash.

Alex