Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

First time tracking ? About race gas and 91 tune

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run a few gallons of 100, if you run too much that can possibly throw your tune off slightly because 100 octane burns slower/hotter.

I usually mix to have 92/93 octane (well back before e85)

http://www.bazellracefuels.com/Calcs/OC1.htm
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm out here now and having a blast. I picked up 5 gals of 103 and put about 2.5 in the tank. Can't wait for tomorrow to run the big course at willow and see if what they thought me stuck. Again thanks for the info.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:28 PM

Montu, I was kind of worried about over mixing but I figured 2.5 gals wouldn't be enough to throw anything out of whack.
Ed/Bueller, I'll check out your site when I get a little free time. I linked it and must say its got allot of info so not really a good time to read it all as I've been up since 4 and have to hit the road again at 4 to make the next event.
As for the car and the BMW driving school, I would say if your a newb like me and have been thinking of tracking, its a good place to start. I was really lucky in that my instructor was a Evo guy. He had an X in the lot and really new what the cars are capable of. It was a blast of a day and the best part was the last session when my instructor really wanted to make a point about what the car could do and wanted to show up an M3 that was being an a$$. The guy in the M3 kept charging on me while I was slowed down with traffic and I think it finally got to my instructor. I'm glad it did, because I was starting to get buyer's remorse about the evo after I slid around like crazy auto-crossing. The instructor really harped on me to keep the throttle down in certain areas to prove that the car would stick and that it would pull hard out of the corners without breaking free. DISCLAIMER, it was a driving school and by no means was the instructor trying to push me to hard. I had expressed to him my bad time auto-x'ing and he wanted to prove to me that the car was very capable, which it is.
As for the car, it ran great. No problems and no miss-haps. The only thing that felt a bit weird was the brakes. I installed some carbotech xp-8's and about the 3rd session they seemed to loose there initial bite a bit. They still had plenty of stopping power and never seemed to fade but as I ended my 3rd session I could tell that I was getting firmer with the brakes to get the bite I needed. On the 4th session, it was the same thing. If I'm firm with the brakes they have plenty of grab but just trying to tap and shift weight they seemed to let go.
Anyway, I again thank everyone one for your info. I was very nervous about the day and how things would go and I must say, things went great. Very happy to have the car and very happy to finally get out and drive the darn thing.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One more comment..... I run a 50/50 mix of leaded race gas nearly 24/7/365. I bet I've run at least 300 gallons of the stuff through my car (catless) without issue. Some people say it kills O2 sensors but I'm still on my stock sensor at 24k miles with at least 15k of those with leaded fuel.

I think the occasional road trip with straight 93 erodes the residue or something. I like to run a full tank of straight shell VPOWER through the car every other month.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

^ you my friend are lucky! Im on probably my 10th o2 sensor (I'm talking OEM, not a WB... no idea what # that is but its likely just as high as the OEM) on my EVO. I run 110 leaded gas a couple times a year at the track when unleaded isn't available or if its really hot and I want to cheaply bump the octane (where I'm at 100 unleaded is 8/gal and 110 leaded is $8.50/gal). It only takes a few gallons of the stuff to totally kill both sensors...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ very odd. Nearly all of the EVO's in my area drink the stuff like its water. I have yet to meet someone that has killed an O2. I have my zeitronix WB inline as well and it too is healthy as an ox.

Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

white exhaust tip = sure sign of leaded gas

yeah that is weird. All I know is this is my second track car that I've killed o2 sensors on with running leading gas.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To me its just more cost effective to run the 110, as its only 50cents more per gallon. I plan on spiking my tank with it this week at NJMP... Plus, I love the smell of leaded.