Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: Which starting point would you choose?
IX MR
5.26%
IX Non-MR
23.68%
X MR
10.53%
X Non-MR
5.26%
VIII
10.53%
Fully Operational Evo
2.63%
Evo Shell
7.89%
IX RS
44.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Crowdsourced NASA TT2 Evo Build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crowdsourced NASA TT2 Evo Build

Ok, after a week of contemplating and receiving advice, encouragement, and support from around the land, I've decided to start anew with a purpose-built Evo project. The original WarrEvo was a classic and lived a hard but fruitful life while being a daily driver and wannabe racecar for quite a while.

I'm going to start this venture like many before me, but I'd like to get your opinions and input along the way. Let's see what we can put together. There will be many differing opinions, and no one will always be right, but it should be fun trying. Would you like to participate?

I want to talk through all aspects of the build over time, but I'm going to start at the very beginning, which is the starting chassis. I'm not sure if I'll try to find an empty Evo 8/9 shell or if I'll get a regular, working Evo 8/9 to start with so that I have 2 full drivetrains (and many other parts) for swaps, rebuilds, and replacement parts. To be in the right range for TT2, I'll want to be around 375whp on a Mustang Dyno (SAE Corrected) at ~3200 lbs and using 275-width tires (hoping Hoosier makes the A7 in a 275/18).

My first inclination is to start with an 06 IX MR as the base, but to get one that is in full working order (but not modified hopefully). Or, I may consider an already-built chassis like Scorke's (too bad I missed out on that one).

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jul 26, 2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Removed spaces and added the "2"
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I wouldn't go with an MR simply because of the 6 speed transmission. If you do decide to go with a MR look into swapping for a 5 speed, it's much more durable and will hold up to a lot more abuse.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
I wouldn't go with an MR simply because of the 6 speed transmission. If you do decide to go with a MR look into swapping for a 5 speed, it's much more durable and will hold up to a lot more abuse.
Yes, good point. I have a Shep-built IX 5spd from the wrecked MR that I plan to use if we determine it is not damaged from the impact, and I have it for the same reason you just gave - my original 6spd lost 4th while on track. I'm less concerned with the drivetrain of the new foundation car as I am with the items that are very difficult to change (e.g. aluminum roof).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, good point. I have a Shep-built IX 5spd from the wrecked MR that I plan to use if we determine it is not damaged from the impact, and I have it for the same reason you just gave - my original 6spd lost 4th while on track. I'm less concerned with the drivetrain of the new foundation car as I am with the items that are very difficult to change (e.g. aluminum roof).
Then find a IX SE. All the benefits of a MR minus the crap gearbox and the bilsteins (who cares about these if you're gonna road race the car).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Then find a IX SE. All the benefits of a MR minus the crap gearbox and the bilsteins (who cares about these if you're gonna road race the car).
Right on - great feedback. It's been a while, so I didn't remember the SE vs. non-SE details. IX SE sounds like the way to go.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Right on - great feedback. It's been a while, so I didn't remember the SE vs. non-SE details. IX SE sounds like the way to go.
It may be difficult as not many came to the US but try to find an RS. Just another option.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go for an 05 RS or GSR.

You get the stronger ACD transfercase, 5-speed and you have a non-mivec head which there are more parts readily available for.

Evo IX SE had a 6 speed.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Evo IX SE had a 6 speed.
The Evo IX SE definitely has a 5 speed, I would know because I own one. The Evo IX MR had the optional SE package on some cars. This was a Evo IX MR, with a 6 speed, that came with the red stitched recaros, the SE front lip, and the diamond black BBS wheels.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

You're right. I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking MR SE - even though we both clearly didn't state MR.

Carry on.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Having built mine from a brand new SE, and many other versions in the past I'll put my cents in.

1. Don't destroy another 9 SE. Arguably the best evo made and holds it's value way too well to turn into a race car. I miss my street version and the wife won't let me buy another one lol.

2. I'd build a shell into a IX race car. Firstly if it's already a shell then your that much closer to blasting and seam welding which we all wish we woulda done and a select few have. Secondly if it's a shell you can put whatever matching drive train/ECU in there you want. CT9A is CT9A when it comes to that. Thirdly with a fresh shell you can start to move things over THEN figure out what you really need, there for you don't have to "ditch" anything and bother selling it in the first place. Win.

3. There's already too many OEM part outs, and not too many people want "used" OEM anymore other then engine/drivetrain thus parting out yet another 8 or 9 isn't going to guarantee you any funds.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Having built mine from a brand new SE, and many other versions in the past I'll put my cents in.

1. Don't destroy another 9 SE. Arguably the best evo made and holds it's value way too well to turn into a race car. I miss my street version and the wife won't let me buy another one lol.
thats EXACTLY why im struggling to continue to track mine and add the necessary safety equipment.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
thats EXACTLY why im struggling to continue to track mine and add the necessary safety equipment.
Crap, I have a 9 SE too
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Having built a EVO race car i suggest buying one and not building it. You will be way better off. I am not sure that many people realize what it cost to build a good cage/ seam weld a car and do all the other stuff we all dream of that will actually make it a reliable race car. And then honestly, you will still realize that the EVO is not a great race car. Buy a vette, or even a used Porsche cup car!

Just my opinion. Having just sold my car, if i do it again i will go a much different route.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Jul 26, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Crap, I have a 9 SE too
i bought an s2000 to compensate...now i am even more stuck in the middle

i have built what is amounting to a very good, consistent and reliable track day car IMHO, and if i could drive it would probably have been competitive in TT...until friggin joeshowed up and started dominating the east coast. i suppose to drill the few required holes for a rollbar and 6 point is not the end of the world but i would never spend the money to fully cage and race this car. the past year or two seem have proven that for NASA TT stock motor/turbo is best, so you can spend money elsewhere at least.

i dunno...i wrestle with this **** DAILY, its sickening.

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Jul 26, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i bought an s2000 to compensate...now i am even more stuck in the middle

i have built what is amounting to a very good, consistent and reliable track day car IMHO, and if i could drive it would probably have been competitive in TT...until friggin joeshowed up and started dominating the east coast. i suppose to drill the few required holes for a rollbar and 6 point is not the end of the world but i would never spend the money to fully cage and race this car. the past year or two seem have proven that for NASA TT stock motor/turbo is best, so you can spend money elsewhere at least.

i dunno...i wrestle with this **** DAILY, its sickening.
Pfffft, your well past the point of a 'street' car lol. Let me put it another way, what makes you, specifically, happier - starring at it in the garage looking forward to beating joe at the next track day, or starring at it in the garage wondering if you should drive it today, oh but wait its raining, oh no a scratch, and the worst - some dumbass specific gender person texting and totaling you. Woulda, coulda, f* it because race car!

Quick Reply: Crowdsourced NASA TT2 Evo Build