Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Measuring Braking Temps

Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Measuring Braking Temps

Anyone have a solid method of measuring braking temps for track driving? Aside from pulling off after the session and shooting the rotor with a thermometer? Probably had a cool down lap between that too, more curious what kind of temps they reach in peak braking.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Temp stickers on the caliper. Temperature sensitive paint on the rotor.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I've got temp paint on the rotor figured that's the same as checking it after though.. I guess I was wondering if anyone had a sensor on their car, or have measured in the past what the temps reach - i.e., is 1000F about right for max temp on a near stock HPDE car?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
There are lots of not cheap ways to actively monitor them but the added circuits, weight, etc are moot compared to a quick IR check (gun or high speed camera) or set paint strips. You usually see them use both a IR gun and a pyro tip to touch the pad, spots on rotor, etc. But as you said skipping the cool down lap.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

got it - so not too many people have a great idea what kind of temps their pads/rotors are seeing?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
This is the point where we tell you you're over thinking again

You'd see pro teams with brake fluid temps sensors and other points if it were that important these days. Brakes aren't like tires where you can slap on different compound for 20 degree temp differences for optimal friction at which such data points become important. They're made to last the weekend over a large range so they usually either work or they don't. Being on fire, cracking, or glazing is usually the sign that the next level is required.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

lol the jig is up! I'm just looking at some brake pads, that say i.e. operating temp up to 1000F, and if that is "enough" to cover a few HPDE sessions
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
I've got temp paint on the rotor figured that's the same as checking it after though.. I guess I was wondering if anyone had a sensor on their car, or have measured in the past what the temps reach - i.e., is 1000F about right for max temp on a near stock HPDE car?

Temp paint changes color as temperature increases, then it stays that color. So it will tell you the peak temp the painted part reached.

Originally Posted by kyoo
lol the jig is up! I'm just looking at some brake pads, that say i.e. operating temp up to 1000F, and if that is "enough" to cover a few HPDE sessions

What pads are you looking at? 1000* for pads probably isn't enough.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

ohhh didn't realize it stayed that temp lol. I can pick whatever pad, just wondering how to decide - i.e., how did you know 1000* prob isn't enough? I realize that also highly depends on track and power levels - you've got an FP red (according to sig), I've got stock power level
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol, he's talking about the Girodisc S/S pads.

So here's my thought...you should be able to get away with they doing an HPDE with stockish power levels however depending on the track and how long you plan to stay out there they could get maxed out and may start to fade. They will not be able to replace a dedicated track pad. But for an all around fairly versatile pad which will allow you to auto-x and do some HPDE I think they will work well.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

shhhh don't out me!!!

the more general, the more helpful for the evo community.

I don't want to go by a, this one failed, move up a level mentality to choosing brake pads. thought if people knew the temp range, it'd help choose a pad.

also, it's a lot easier to check for autox - your run is done, you go park and shoot the rotor etc right away and see. but track, there's a cool down lap, etc, a lot more dependent on ducting and rotors shims etc
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol whoops my bad! Everyone I was just kidding! What he really wants is some badass Hawks! I hear those are the best!

But I do like the topic but lets change the question from not how to measure brake temps but rather what sorts of temps are you guys seeing on track? To his point sure he can try and one if it doesnt work move up a notch.

And I know most of you guys in here are probably running some ST43's or XP12's or more dedicated track pads but the question remains as to what sorts of temps you are seeing when on track.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Lol whoops my bad! Everyone I was just kidding! What he really wants is some badass Hawks! I hear those are the best!

But I do like the topic but lets change the question from not how to measure brake temps but rather what sorts of temps are you guys seeing on track? To his point sure he can try and one if it doesnt work move up a notch.

And I know most of you guys in here are probably running some ST43's or XP12's or more dedicated track pads but the question remains as to what sorts of temps you are seeing when on track.
right, that's pretty much what I meant - what temps do you see, with what power levels/setup, and what's the best way to check? they have to be checking somehow to know what temps they're seeing. something like that. I didn't know the temp paint stayed the color after heating up though, so that'll be a good indicator for me
Old Aug 17, 2016, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Running ST43's, I burn the black Zinc coating off of the veins of the rotors on track. Idk what temp it is, but it's hot...haha. I forgot my temp gauge my last two track days, so I'm no help here.

On another note, I have racing brake XT910's on the front of my car for street pads right now. They're absolutely awesome.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the input - FWIW, last time I was on the track, with stock rotors etc I had to pull off because of a braking issue about 15 minutes in (turned out to be a toast brake pad) and after sitting for a while someone took the temp, and it was around 600 deg. It's obviously going to be way higher during braking, just don't know how high

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Measuring Braking Temps