Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
to be honest if we want to say turbos and superchargers get different allowances, that's as much as saying the NA cars don't get to increase boost either.

in this case, we've got a number of cars that are literally direct competitors with different rules applying to each. that's more what I was referring to regarding cars "in the exact same market." not that they both have some form of forced induction.
I would argue that the cars all have the exact same allowances but that different cars use them to different effect. I think that situation applies across the board in all classes. camber plates are a good example. with the same allowance to not modify the size of the hole in the strut tower, some cars can get 5+ deg of camber and some can only get ~2 deg.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
I would argue that the cars all have the exact same allowances but that different cars use them to different effect. I think that situation applies across the board in all classes. camber plates are a good example. with the same allowance to not modify the size of the hole in the strut tower, some cars can get 5+ deg of camber and some can only get ~2 deg.
right - but in this circumstance, there is an easy option that equalizes the "camber" for all cars across the board. that would be the ideal goal IMO, and in this case, easily attainable. I would think to shoot for equalization when possible. are you really allowing the same rule when one group of cars can take advantage and another in the exact same market cannot AND there is an easy fix to equalize?

not even for STU here, which I honestly think should stick with stock ECU until it becomes an actual problem: I don't know yet which STH cars can really manage boost via the ECU (and which drivers choose to only use that method) vs the ones where a MBC/EBCS makes more sense. I hope success for the class, but why even block MBCs for the cars in STH that can use them? the impact of boost is contained by lumping the turbo cars together, so why block such a common and reliable mod for turbo cars in the turbo class?

one clarification - plug-and-play engine control modules = something like a Cobb?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think SP would see more involvement if you had to run a tire with >100tw. Or even >180tw. I think its the ability to run Hoosiers that kill those classes.
The following users liked this post:
DaWorstPlaya (Jun 1, 2017)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

right - but in this circumstance, there is an easy option that equalizes the "camber" for all cars across the board. that would be the ideal goal IMO, and in this case, easily attainable. I would think to shoot for equalization when possible. are you really allowing the same rule when one group of cars can take advantage and another in the exact same market cannot AND there is an easy fix to equalize?
See my response in post 239. My question to you would be where does it stop? clutches? axles? built engines? reinforced chassis? ...i hope you get my point. I certainly understand your desire to want more, I think we all do. There are other classes that already answer your requests and a lot more (too much?). I mean A modified is a pretty level playing field, come join me.

one clarification - plug-and-play engine control modules = something like a Cobb?
I believe *unofficially* cobb access ports are accepted as tuning devices. plug and play is more like an AEM FIC, greddy e-manage, apexi AFC, etc. Could also get crazy and install a mega squirt/motec/aem/haltec/etc in parallel with the stock ecu to maintain obd2 functionality.

Last edited by griceiv; Jun 1, 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I think SP would see more involvement if you had to run a tire with >100tw. Or even >180tw. I think its the ability to run Hoosiers that kill those classes.
I think there is merit to that but I also think it is only one piece of the puzzle. At lot of the negative feedback is about cutting fenders, reduced reliability, crazy update/backdate combos that don't exist in the real world, and needing to tow everywhere. I think the fact that SP is tightly bracketed above and below by SM and ST really limits what sort of things are available to tweak without basically turning it into a direct clone of a category we already have. I would love to hear any opinions on the subject though.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 03:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 735 Likes on 570 Posts
I think all classes below Prepared should go to 200TW, but that's just me :P. Does it have street in the title? No race tires...
The following users liked this post:
DaWorstPlaya (Jun 1, 2017)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

not even for STU here, which I honestly think should stick with stock ECU until it becomes an actual problem: I don't know yet which STH cars can really manage boost via the ECU (and which drivers choose to only use that method) vs the ones where a MBC/EBCS makes more sense. I hope success for the class, but why even block MBCs for the cars in STH that can use them? the impact of boost is contained by lumping the turbo cars together, so why block such a common and reliable mod for turbo cars in the turbo class?

See my response in post 239. My question to you would be where does it stop? clutches? axles? built engines? reinforced chassis? ...i hope you get my point. I certainly understand your desire to want more, I think we all do. There are other classes that already answer your requests and a lot more (too much?). I mean A modified is a pretty level playing field, come join me.

I believe *unofficially* cobb access ports are accepted as tuning devices. plug and play is more like an AEM FIC, greddy e-manage, apexi AFC, etc. Could also get crazy and install a mega squirt/motec/aem/haltec/etc in parallel with the stock ecu to maintain obd2 functionality.
lol - where does it stop? let's not be coy here. some cars are very intentionally getting open boost. not gonna play the strawman. you're adding open boost for cars that tune boost via ecu. i'm saying, level the boost field. if you're gonna turn a blind eye to that, that's okay. at least acknowledge the inequality of the rule and say, it is what it is. own it. and again - leave it alone for STU, seriously - but at least take a hard look at STH and consider what the pros and cons of allowing the ability to control boost via mechanical methods.

done here. thank you for the insight - appreciate it, and go kill it this year!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

done here. thank you for the insight - appreciate it, and go kill it this year!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

back to the here and now,

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1496091505

noticed the STIs have been doing pretty well in STU not just this year but all of 2016 & dating back to late 2015 - is there something special they're doing differently/they've got going setup wise? or is it purely driver here? I'm surprised given their short 2nd gear, they've got to be going into 3rd frequently at nats
Old Jun 2, 2017, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't really call it doing well by being over a second behind Brian... yes, he is alien, but second is a second! They did have good running at Nats last year though!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
I wouldn't really call it doing well by being over a second behind Brian... yes, he is alien, but second is a second! They did have good running at Nats last year though!
I would kill to only be 1 second slower than Bryan.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So we have an event on Sunday and I decided to change some things around on the car.
Currently my car rotates really well, it doesn't understeer at all unless you go in full retard. The problem is that it's actually not very confidence inspiring in slaloms and tight transitions. Fast speeds you need to essentially be ready to catch it after turn in, mid speed stuff it's dead on.

I was running 600/800 and just went to 800/900 rates. I am trying to get the car more stable but I don't want it to lose it's ability to sweep. Front brackets are at full stiff, rear 27mm bar on medium setting. I have a feeling the car will start to push now and want to be ready to try some things on Sunday. Any recommendations? Lower compression on the front, more bar on the rear, anything else?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I would kill to only be 1 second slower than Bryan.
C'mon man! Don't sell your self that short!!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by laloosh
So we have an event on Sunday and I decided to change some things around on the car.
Currently my car rotates really well, it doesn't understeer at all unless you go in full retard. The problem is that it's actually not very confidence inspiring in slaloms and tight transitions. Fast speeds you need to essentially be ready to catch it after turn in, mid speed stuff it's dead on.

I was running 600/800 and just went to 800/900 rates. I am trying to get the car more stable but I don't want it to lose it's ability to sweep. Front brackets are at full stiff, rear 27mm bar on medium setting. I have a feeling the car will start to push now and want to be ready to try some things on Sunday. Any recommendations? Lower compression on the front, more bar on the rear, anything else?
I would wait to see what the car is going to do and than try to see what is there to fix! And, if you really believe car will start to push with such change, why you are doing it in the first place?

Remember that with all of the active stuff X does things are not that easy to call before hand. Every time I tried to adjust something I had the feeling that car did something else and affected my change in some way. It is quite different from the passive car I used to race.

Another thing is that X is quite sensitive to the way it is driven, so in your case it might be just adjustment in your driving that could change the cars behavior that you are looking for!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't plan on changing anything for the first couple of runs. I know I have an aggressive style of driving, and I'm simply too stubborn to alter it, I much prefer to alter the car to fit my needs not the other way around....that's the whole point of touring classes right? I wan't to be even more aggressive with it and really attack elements, but the confidence is just not there as the car is snappy and loose when going ten tenths. Sometimes I save it, sometimes I catch it late, sometimes I make blooper videos lol

I was just asking in the event of understeer, what should be my go to changes.

Quick Reply: 2017 STU Discussion!