Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Those bushings got my interest. Semi regretting the WL stuff as I can already see some sticktion in the front/rear
Old Sep 9, 2017, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
This is awesome. One of those builds that I am not insane enough to partake in but very cool to see.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Looks like a really fun car. Definitely interested to see how it does.

I see you're still on a stock shifter assembly. I've got a CAE shifter in my car and I think it's a fantastic mod. Shifter feel is extremely crisp and precise and it also puts the knob a fair bit closer the wheel which is nice. It seriously blows any other shifter I've ever felt out of the water.

Also out of curiousity what oiling mods are done to the engine?
We are still using the stock shifter, fortunately we don't have to shift much at all. We have ours spaced up of the floor some to help with position. When we get into gearbox mods we may look into switching to something cooler, right now that is pretty low on the list.

Oiling mods right now are just the kiggly HLA. We run the car very overfull to help out. I am going to have to build my own pan because the car sits far too low to lose any clearance that the current available options take away.

Zack
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Those bushings got my interest. Semi regretting the WL stuff as I can already see some sticktion in the front/rear
When this car was on poly it was running over -4* camber up front to maintain good tire wear etc. After installing the sphericals we were able to drop that all the way down to -3* before the pyrometer showed the tires were happy. They make a HUGE difference!

Zack
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

A pic of the rear spoiler I added to the car after the first time we drove it. Our goal with adding a spoiler is to be able to make the car very aggressive in transition and low speed turns and allow the spoiler to maintain better balance in high speed elements. It is astounding how effective something like this, the first time we drove it after adding this the car was a dump truck, we ended up making front wheel rate and rear alignment changes to get the rotation the car needed.

Zack
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Back to work today for winter upgrades. We are working hard to reduce weight and move it closer to the center of the car. So I pulled the FMIC to replace it with a smaller unit and aluminum piping. Our current buschur kit weights 35lbs in total, and the 23 lb core was way out front. We will be moving the new unit inside the core support and ducting it, I'm hoping to get the system weight in half.....

Next up in the plan to lower CG and move mass is to remove the fuel tank and cut it in half. This will allow us to run less fuel and free up space further back on the passenger side to move 170lbs of our ballast back over 14". The current weight ballance on the car is 60/40....and while I don't think we can improve a lot on this, moving the weight down and toward the center is the goal.

More coming later this week!

Zack
Old Sep 12, 2017, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
we moved a LOT of stuff to the back of our car trying to get the weight bias better. radiator, oil cooler, dry sump, battery etc ....

went to a tube and fin lightweight FMIC, carbon front bumper, moly core support, lightweight NS bar and the car is still 60% front!!! lol

loving the sphericals. we are still mostly stock in the rear suspension bushing area - need to look into those during the off season
Old Sep 12, 2017, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Meathooker
we moved a LOT of stuff to the back of our car trying to get the weight bias better. radiator, oil cooler, dry sump, battery etc ....

went to a tube and fin lightweight FMIC, carbon front bumper, moly core support, lightweight NS bar and the car is still 60% front!!! lol

loving the sphericals. we are still mostly stock in the rear suspension bushing area - need to look into those during the off season
The reason we are able to get the car so well balanced is because of the relatively high minimum weight VS. the cars actual weight. We have 225lbs of ballast in the car, all behind the driver. That's a lot of oil coolers/rad etc to move!

The bearing are the only way to go, in the rear I think they are very beneficial. The front bushing on the upper arm is a shear type and is very small diameter, so there is a ton of binding in that arm.

Zack
Old Sep 12, 2017, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wanabgts
The reason we are able to get the car so well balanced is because of the relatively high minimum weight VS. the cars actual weight. We have 225lbs of ballast in the car, all behind the driver. That's a lot of oil coolers/rad etc to move!

The bearing are the only way to go, in the rear I think they are very beneficial. The front bushing on the upper arm is a shear type and is very small diameter, so there is a ton of binding in that arm.

Zack
the ballast would help a lot.

i was talking to KP in the yellow lotus down at UMC this last weekend - he was telling us about a super fast silver evo at packwood. after watching your video im pretty sure this was the car he was talking about
Old Sep 12, 2017, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Meathooker
the ballast would help a lot.

i was talking to KP in the yellow lotus down at UMC this last weekend - he was telling us about a super fast silver evo at packwood. after watching your video im pretty sure this was the car he was talking about
HAHA yeah I think we raw timed XP on one course during the pro-solo. Been top 10 in pax every event thus far.

Glad to hear its making an impression!

Zack
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
To get weight off of the nose I would seriously consider an air/water intercooler with the radiator double stacked with the engine radiator in the rear.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
To get weight off of the nose I would seriously consider an air/water intercooler with the radiator double stacked with the engine radiator in the rear.
Unfortunately in this class we are only allowed air/air heat exchangers.....

Zack
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
ah, my bad. Interesting that the prepared rules are more restrictive than the SP rules.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

ah, my bad. Interesting that the prepared rules are more restrictive than the SP rules.
I think it is part of their efforts to keep the turbocharged cars from having too much of advantage since they are all mixed together in prepared classing.

C. Induction System – Turbocharged/Supercharged Engines
1. Turbocharging and supercharging is prohibited except for specific vehicles
as listed in Appendix A.
2. Induction systems must have a restrictor on the inlet side. This restrictor
orifice must not be more than 4.0” (10.2 cm) from the compressor
inlet and must maintain the specified diameter for at least ½ inch
(0.50”, 12.7 mm). Induction system restrictors may be located within
or be integral to the compressor housing, provided that all dimensional
requirements of 17.10.C.2 are maintained. All inducted air must pass
through this restrictor. The diameter for the restrictor shall be as fol- lows (unless specified otherwise in Appendix A):
a. XP – No restrictor required
b. CP – 52 mm (2.047”) restrictor
c. FP – 46 mm (1.811”) restrictor
3. Only air-to-air intercoolers may be used. They must fit completely
within the bodywork. They must be cooled only by the atmosphere. The
use of coolants such as water, dry ice, ice, etc. is prohibited.
4. All turbocharged/supercharged cars are restricted to a single turbo- charger/supercharger. The type size and model of turbocharger/su- percharger is unrestricted.

Zack
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

our large tube and fin IC weights 17lbs. for their power levels i have a setrab IC core that could weight around 10-12lbs when welded up.

do you think that would be worth it?

my plan initially was a ATW setup but we ran out of amps and i the overall weight penalty was too much.

Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.