Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
our large tube and fin IC weights 17lbs. for their power levels i have a setrab IC core that could weight around 10-12lbs when welded up.

do you think that would be worth it?

my plan initially was a ATW setup but we ran out of amps and i the overall weight penalty was too much.
Its really hard to say, there are a lot of factors I considered before deciding to decrease core size. Power output and airflow are just a couple. But generally speaking there if you can get away with something lighter without a decrease in performance, then yes it is worth it. All those pounds add up....and they are in the worst possible spot on this car.

Zack
Old Sep 12, 2017, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
This thing is RAD.
The following users liked this post:
wanabgts (Oct 12, 2017)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Just a couple more pics I had on my computer, this is my attempt to get everything in one place haha.

Zack
Old Oct 9, 2017, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Actually got some work done. Cut the factory fuel tank, making sure to keep the factory baffle in place.

I made a template and boxed in the tank, TIG welded it up. (not easy on this thin a@@ tank!)

Took around 19.5lbs off the thank, but better yet I not get to move my 170lbs passenger side ballast stack further back in the car. Should be worthwhile!

WORDS OF CAUTION: I have done this many times, I remove the tank and flush with water. Then let the tank sit ventilated for many days before welding. I have seen someone get impatient and blow their tank inside out....don't be that guy.

Thanks,
Zack
Old Oct 10, 2017, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm... time to look at the SM rules again
Old Oct 12, 2017, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I believe this mod is good to go in SM.....

Zack
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Fuel cell is SM legal but rarely done. I use the fuel tank as my ballast and just run more fuel to meet weight. Seems like a pretty good location for extra weight.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

It is, which is why I am moving 170lbs into the area this occupied. But it also is dynamic unless ran almost completely full. Fuel has significant mass to be sloshing around on you.

Probably not worth it for the people who still think they have street cars, but we should be able to run 4gal now without starvation issues.

Zack
Old Oct 12, 2017, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Ahh good point about the sloshing. Didnt think about that.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wanabgts
But it also is dynamic unless ran almost completely full. Fuel has significant mass to be sloshing around on you.

Probably not worth it for the people who still think they have street cars, but we should be able to run 4gal now without starvation issues.

Zack
This is exactly where my mind was going.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Little more progress as parts for the major winter overhaul begin to trickle in. We wanted to switch to lighter intercooler system with less piping. We are also very concious of trying move weight inward and down in the car now as we approach our final minimum starting weight.

We played around with a couple configurations but finally settled on this location. This core is 10lbs lighter than the previous, and also has been moved inboard and down. With aluminum piping I suspect we will shave around 15 lbs off of our old setup.

We are gaining some momentum now and I only have one more race obligation this year, after that the progress should come quick!

Thanks,
Zack
Old Oct 17, 2017, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Could you add a fan on the top of the IC? We had one on SP car and it was helping a lot!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
woah. that is different. are you spraying with water?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

No we will be running some ducting as part of the intercooler to get some airflow. We have new engine management and such going in this winter, so we will have great control over a/f ratio and ignition timing as a correction for IAT.

We are trying to avoid the use of a fan as we plan on going to a total loss battery system this winter as well, so minimizing electrical is key to be able to run our PS and Water pump.

Zack
Old Nov 10, 2017, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

More cool stuff is finally rolling in for this beast. We will be tearing the car all the way down tomorrow to start the re-wire. We will be re-doing the dash beam, electric p/s, electric w/p, and lipo batteries to run the car. Trying to free up the engine as much as possible because of the restrictor, and move that weight further rear!

Other little things are being figured out, this is a custom slip-fit turbo outlet flange so we can finish the all aluminum construction of the intercooler system. Dallas @ SSB Designs was able to custom machine it for it us in under a week.

Zack

Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.