Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
sounds like it was working correctly. Do you plan to do anything about the very aggressive front diff? You may find you have a lot of throttle on understeer with your new solution.
It worked just not well. It would have been great if we were building a drift car.

like I said I would love to test back to back, but everything we were doing was pointing us another route.

Zack

Last edited by wanabgts; Feb 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Well we have put about 30 man hours into the car since I last posted. Lots of progress in various areas. Firstly we got the intercooler ducting cut and installed, this was a huge engineering challenge but I am happy with how it turned out.

With the mechanicals basically sorted we finally got onto wiring, we had to come up with a plan of integration for the PDM and abs. We then got our system diagram sorted out, and got to wiring.

The engine is almost completely wired up in this picture, a PDM really does clean things up!

Lastly we rounded up about 2/3 of the ballast that we project we will need by the end of this season/build cycle. Here is about 350lb worth we are working on an underbody rack to hold. Most will go in place of where the other half of the fuel tank was.

T-minus 3 weeks till testing......

Zack
Old Feb 28, 2018, 06:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Innovative IC setup. Any concern of creating lift by directing that channeled air straight down in the front?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

This is not really a concern for a number of reasons.
1- This is normally a low pressure area anyway on a car that has front end rake, even if it now goes positive pressure it is likely to be a VERY small amount.
2- We only do around 85mph
3- MOST of the air on a evo or any other passenger car already comes out the bottom of the engine bay, the vent on the evo has no way of flowing the amount air being let into the engine bay.
4- We are not allowed to duct out the hood in prepared class, instead we chose to lower the cg of the intercooler from 12.5" down to 4.5" while also moving it inside the wheelbase of the car.

This has been brought up before when engineering this system, and my question is always this. Where do you think the air is going now? Even with the factory undertay it exits mostly by the firewall, which contributes to lift as well.

Good question!
Zack
Old Feb 28, 2018, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by wanabgts
Where do you think the air is going now? Even with the factory undertay it exits mostly by the firewall, which contributes to lift as well.
This is my thought as well. If anything, this is reducing total air into the engine bay by blocking off all the other frontal air that would slip in past the radiator and IC. Now, only thing getting in is oil cooler and FMIC directed air.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Half of the grill will be block for the intake, the other half will blow in on the exhaust and "hopefully" out the hood. Oil cooler side ducts will just be blocked as we currently do not run one.

Zack
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by wanabgts
... while also moving it inside the wheelbase of the car.

Zack
Am I seeing the pictures wrong? It looks like the intercooler is still ~20" in front of the front axle.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Am I seeing the pictures wrong? It looks like the intercooler is still ~20" in front of the front axle.
it is in front of the wheel.

he must have meant "within the frame" of the car.

its an interesting setup for sure.

it'll be exciting to see how you guys do this season!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry I mis-typed. You are correct. I meant to say closer to the wheels base of the car.

Zack
Old Mar 1, 2018, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Still chipping away on it this week. Finished fabricating the air box and intake system and got the engine harness pretty much wrapped up. Just have to finish the PDM and ABS harnesses and she will be ready for testing.

Zack
Old Mar 1, 2018, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Can't wait to see this in action next month at Crows
The following users liked this post:
wanabgts (Mar 6, 2018)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
That looks badass!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Got the car slapped together today to see how much ballast we need, was happy we have gotten 100lbs total off the front of the car. Somewhere around 130 total this winter. Only things missing on this weight is a 24lb exhaust and fluids. This will really help out when we go toe-to-toe with xp, and we should be able to force the front/rear bias really far back if needed with our approximate 450lbs of weight.....

Its looking like we may actually make it to testing and crows if we can maintain the current pace of completion!
Zack
Old Mar 2, 2018, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks killer! Congrats and keep up the solid work!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Man what a car. Purpose built, I'm a little moist.

Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.