Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Any MHI BB turbo is $2100 and comes with their oil line and intake setup. That's barely more expensive than the Garrett by itself. I feel like I'm one of the few people who see how capable the stock flange is. Especially being an autox car I don't see any benefit moving to a larger frame setup.

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...tegory_Code=SP

Its not really larger frame, and my cost on the garrett is far better than what I can buy a turbo from FP for even with a discount. Like i said, I did my research i'll live with my results.

Zack
Old Nov 20, 2018, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The FP54 is pretty stellar. As is the 71hta. Both can hold 400 tq on race gas. If I didn't have several spare 71's I would be all over this discount .

For me the boost and performance are pretty close when you start to match up today's T3's. The gen2 reverse rotation Garret's especially. I guess my question then would be does a complete T3 setup save any nose weight compared to a stock evo setup (MHI housing and manifold). Because if it's even 10lbs that starts to make me think.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 06:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Garrett stuff all has a steel CHRA still, manifold weight is probably roughly the same depending on what one you use, once you jump to an external gate with a dump tube you're adding 5lbs or so right there. My wager would be that a MHI BB FP would be 7-10lbs lighter than a T3 with an external gate. I could be completely wrong about that tho haha.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

The manifold weight is 2.5lbs difference. I don't know what the turbo weight is. You also have to keep in mind that we have to run more turbo than "normal" because of our restrictor. The green was really as small as we could run and make the power band we were looking for. That is why we decided to hop over the g25-550 and go for the 660.

The weight I think will pretty comparable between the 2, as stated, maybe 5-7 lbs difference.

Zack
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Will be interesting to see if it feels laggier in packwood in some of the tighter stuff. Lately I've been more concerned with being able to have power exactly when I want it rather than the few top speed moments we might see. As we've talked about before, I still cant decide between the 4.11 and 4.53 gears (I now have both) since its a 7mph difference at top end but 10% accel hit everywhere.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 08:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Rev higher on the shorter gears
Old Nov 20, 2018, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

With our injured turbo spool was hurt, and while there were a couple times i wanted it faster i dont think the impact on time was much. The transient response is so good on our car we actually had to numb it down.

We did stop making power pretty early though on the green with a restrictor, falling off hard around 7k. Our hope is the efficiency of the Garrett will help at these higher pressure ratios. If we can hold the power flatter up to our 9k redline i think that will help a ton.

I consulted Robert at fp who i trust and he said his best option for us would be the improved green.

After talking with ets and looking at our current graphs, we were swayed to try the new Garrett. Either way, power probably wont be the problem.

Zack
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you using oem ecu and ebc? Tuning the wgdc vs tps tables really helped smooth things out for me. I am at 380wtq by 3800 and still at 320 wtq at 8k (mustang numbers), so always plenty on tap to upset the car if not controlled well.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by psushoe
Are you using oem ecu and ebc? Tuning the wgdc vs tps tables really helped smooth things out for me. I am at 380wtq by 3800 and still at 320 wtq at 8k (mustang numbers), so always plenty on tap to upset the car if not controlled well.
We have a haltech elite in the car. We have a tps/boost correction setup. It does indeed do wonders to keep the power delivery smooth. Like i said before, carrying the power out the top is where more compressor efficiency is needed, since we are drawing through a 46mm restrictor.

For reference, here is my graph from last year. This is a 29 psi spike, could only hold about 22.5 on the green @8500 which is where the graph ends. Peak torque was right at 3800-4k depending on heat in the system. As you can see we don't lack thrust, but can afford to shift the power up slightly. I typically only ran around 27 psi on the spike, this much torque was more than needed most of the time to so keep IAT's down I just lowered the boost.

Zack

Last edited by wanabgts; Nov 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Hey Zack, can u confirm which bushings get replaced with the ESM master kit? Or maybe just wich arent replaced?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Finally making some progress going into the 2019 season. I got a manifold to test fit from Extreme Turbo Systems (our final one will be single wastegate), so we could confirm the fitment of our G25-660. Luckily it seems to clear the intercooler enclosure and everything well, and will probably only need minor intake revision.

The intercooler pipe was easy, literally just a 2.5" ubend. I am happy to get rid of the very small and contorted outlet that was on the last setup.

We will be fabricating a new exhaust (again), and getting the final setup put together in the coming weeks. The plan is to put the car on the dyno un-restricted and see what this turbo will do on our setup, and then add the restrictor and see what it is actually doing to performance.

Thanks,
Zack
Old Jan 2, 2019, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Any plans to weld a 90 onto the turbo outlet, or the intercooler pipe, so you don't have to run the 90* coupler?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Any plans to weld a 90 onto the turbo outlet, or the intercooler pipe, so you don't have to run the 90* coupler?
Not in this case since the coupler is an adapter from 2.25" to 2.5" as well as a 90*. Also, a cast elbow or something similar has the same bend radius as the coupler, so there is not much difference in flow other than the cast elbow would actually be smaller ID.

Zack
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
The new turbo setup looks wicked. What do you think time frame is for getting it running and on the dyno?

Also need to talk about rear upright testing with you guys, see when it might be possible to get out to some early season testing. I need to do validation of initial units before I think about making a batch of them.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
The new turbo setup looks wicked. What do you think time frame is for getting it running and on the dyno?

Also need to talk about rear upright testing with you guys, see when it might be possible to get out to some early season testing. I need to do validation of initial units before I think about making a batch of them.
We should have the car on the dyno in the next 30ish days I think.

We could organize some testing time before crows probably up north as long as the weather is there. We would be happy to test since they will probably end up on there anyhow!

Zack

Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.