Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
What ps setup are you going with?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
What ps setup are you going with?
We will be keeping the OEM Rack and using the MRS (late model mr2) pump with it. I have used this setup many times in the past and was happy with the results. Plus, this lets us put the pump near the back of the car.

We got a lot done on Saturday this week. We marked every thing we needed to keep for the engine and ABS unit in our wiring harness. Then got to work stripping the harness out of the car.

We are going to be reworking the coolant hoses as well during this time since we felt like they were one of the weak links in the build, just too many failure points. We will also be adding a swirl tank to help with the bleeding process with our rear radiator.

We starting fabricating a new electronics mount and getting our new intercooler plumbing done. We will also be building a lighter dash beam and a new dash panel again during this build.

Should have more updates here pretty soon as the parts keep rolling in. We got to get this thing going for testing in March!

Thanks,
Zack
Old Nov 13, 2017, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Is that stock manifold ported?

The build is looking pretty cool so far. Been following it on the FB. What shop are you at?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Is that stock manifold ported?

The build is looking pretty cool so far. Been following it on the FB. What shop are you at?

Yes this is a ported stock intake manifold. I doubt the un-ported one would be a restriction however with the restrictor that we are required to run.

I am the Manager/Head technician at PREracing. We primarily do Subaru, however I worked at English Racing in the past and am very familiar with the Evo platform.

Zack
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll save you a lot of time. Skip the EPS pump. I started with the MR2 pump, then went Volvo because the MR2 was not high enough output pressure. The Volvo pump worked at slow turning speed, but it did not have enough volume to keep up with high steering angle rates. I'm now back on the stock PS pump.

If you still want to try, I do have the Volvo pump still. And the trunk mounting bracket I made. PM if interested.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty set on trying to get one of the variations to work. With a restrictor I am limited on power production so reducing the parasidic draw is appealing. Not to mention moving it back.

I used the MR2 in r35 GTR and a couple other cars without a problem, but maybe there is something different about the EVO rack.

Also, This will be a 16+v setup...so that should help out with the EPS.

Zack
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Are you doing an electric water pump as well?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Are you doing an electric water pump as well?
Yes we will be installed a Stewart Electric pump with our new setup.

Zack
Old Jan 31, 2018, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Well Crap, racing season is almost here and we have a lot to do. We have been making progress on some projects, but planning has taken a lot of time. Converting the whole car to electric and getting the power freed up has added a lot of coplexity, but such is the nature of building cars.

We got our intercooler and dash mount done, as well as starting getting the new radiator parts in. We are getting close to being able to wire this thing up after all the fab is completed.

I also had to build a new lower x-member and front solid engine mount, to properly clear our new intercooler system.

Hopefully we can have it going and get at least one shakedown in before Crow's Landing pro/tour.

Zack
Old Feb 5, 2018, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

More work done on Saturday, we got the Electric water pump mounted up on the passenger floor and radiator mounted after cutting out the rest of the trunk. I also converted the thermostat housing over for a changed flow direction, (these things are a PITA to weld)! Now that we got all these components mounted we ordered up all the fittings and hose needed to get it plumbed.

We removed the rear differential to install our new OSGiken limited slip.

The front crossmember came out so we can make a mount for our electric power steering pump. We are tucking it as close to the rack as is possible to help with pressure drop. It is our hope that we will be able to make this pump work since we will be running 16v and have a pressure line only 18" long. It may still end up being the weak link, in which case we may go back to the belt drive for some time.

Zack
Old Feb 6, 2018, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
are you running a higher capacity alternator? or a mechanical fuel pump?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by clifhanger87
are you running a higher capacity alternator? or a mechanical fuel pump?
This car will be running a total loss system with no alternator. We will be running the car off of 2 or 3 10,000mah lithium batteries.

Zack
Old Feb 6, 2018, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wanabgts
This car will be running a total loss system with no alternator. We will be running the car off of 2 or 3 10,000mah lithium batteries.

Zack
How much of power would that save you? Some weights as well, I guess....
Old Feb 6, 2018, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I am not sure how much power it will free up honestly, but there is a bunch of reasons why we are going this route.

1- Its a restricted class and we have pretty much tapped out, so the only way to increase power is to increase the efficiency of the air we are already moving.

2-Move weight back. We removed EVERY accessory from the engine and moved it rearward and lower in the car. This was one of the main goals of this years build.

3-Weight. Overall this system will be much lighter. Two lipos weigh in at 3lbs 6oz, and we now get to run a 16v system which will improve the performance of almost all of the current systems.

4-Increase our ability to cool the car down between runs. We were right on the edge of our cooling system last year in 90+ degree weather. Not we will be able to cycle the electric water pump and fans between runs to help get the temps down quick.

I am sure we will notice a decent increase in power from the engine, there is nothing but a crank pulley on there now. My guess would be somewhere around 15-20hp.

Zack
Old Feb 6, 2018, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Have you thought about making a quick disconnect tray with a fixed connection point so you can rip it out quickly if theirs an issue? Or quick swap in grid if needed?

The lithium fire I had last year was my fault (dont jump lithium...) but still brought up that it can be pretty volatile.

Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.