Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community



Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 20, 2018, 08:46 AM   #1
Evolving Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
dave_evolvix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 496
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Drives: Evo IX SE

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Greetings!
I wanted to start up a thread about Gridlife 2018 and the Trackbattle series. I wanted to know what EvoM members are planning on attending and in what classes. I'm registered for Track Modified Round 1 at Mid Ohio. I wasn't able to snag a ticket for the Midwest Festival. Was anyone else shocked at how fast HPDE and Trackbattle tickets sold? Anyone here snag one for Midwest?

Car wise, I've got a very mild Track Mod car, but it's still the correct class due do to suspension adjustments and missing rear seat. Mostly I want clear track to do my best and get the experience of Time Attack. I know I can't be competitive, especially at 320whp, but I can compete with myself.

Who else is going? What are you bringing?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Evolving Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
I'm not too shocked at how fast they sold. Last year the spectator early bird tickets sold out in 45 mins. Unfortunately I was pretty distracted this week and didn't remember to buy a ticket so I'm going to be banking on someone not being able to make it and selling theirs.

I don't think I'll be doing time attack this year as I still want to get more seat time in the car before I start competing so I'll be looking for an HPDE pass. If I can get a ticket I'll be bringing my car, an 04 8, gutted, caged, little bit of aero, 275 RC1 slicks, built bottom end, CBRD 3B turbo, Ohlins flags, bunch o Whiteline bushings, other bolt on stuff etc.



Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Evolved Member
iTrader: (10)
 
EVOizmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stevens Point WI
Posts: 1,038
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

Drives: on ICE.

I plan on trying to do a full season of GL this year.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 06:58 AM   #4
Newbie
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 2006 Evo RS

I ran Track Modified RWD in my turbo S2000 last season at Mid Ohio, Midwest Festival, and South Festival. I plan to run the new Evo in Street Modified AWD on 255 RE71Rs at South Festival. I still might show up for Midwest Festival as well.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:59 AM   #5
EvoM Moderator
iTrader: (28)
 
kyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: US
Posts: 7,025
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts

Drives: IX

i'll be going to the autobahn south one - if tickets don't get fully sold out. normally autoxing in the midwest, prob going to pick up some 255s on evo x wheels to be legal for the hpde class
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 04:38 PM   #6
Evolved Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Balrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North GA
Posts: 2,816
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Drives: Evo IX Race Car

I won unlimited the first year they did the south one, but I wasn't too impressed with the crowd or format compared to other events. If everyone decides to show up I may come out again.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Evolving Member
iTrader: (1)
 
jedibow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Renton
Posts: 158
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Drives: '03 EVO VIII GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoustin View Post
I'm not too shocked at how fast they sold. Last year the spectator early bird tickets sold out in 45 mins. Unfortunately I was pretty distracted this week and didn't remember to buy a ticket so I'm going to be banking on someone not being able to make it and selling theirs.

I don't think I'll be doing time attack this year as I still want to get more seat time in the car before I start competing so I'll be looking for an HPDE pass. If I can get a ticket I'll be bringing my car, an 04 8, gutted, caged, little bit of aero, 275 RC1 slicks, built bottom end, CBRD 3B turbo, Ohlins flags, bunch o Whiteline bushings, other bolt on stuff etc.



Track ****
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 06:03 PM   #8
Evolving Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrok View Post
I won unlimited the first year they did the south one, but I wasn't too impressed with the crowd or format compared to other events. If everyone decides to show up I may come out again.
I'm trying to convince my old man to lend me his truck for a few months so I've got a tow rig for most of the season. If that works out then I plan to swing down to GA for south. Would definitely be cool if there was a crowd of evos.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jedibow View Post
Track ****
Hahaha. I'm trying to make it to 4 track days between the middle of April and the beginning of June. It's gonna be hectic for sure.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 07:34 AM   #9
Newbie
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 2006 Evo RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrok View Post
I won unlimited the first year they did the south one, but I wasn't too impressed with the crowd or format compared to other events. If everyone decides to show up I may come out again.
I call them parties to break up the more seriousness of NASA. Let's hang out at Gridlife South and have a good time. I'm hoping I have a shot to win Street Mod AWD. My least favorite part of their rules is that to run Hoosiers you have to be in unlimited and technically to be in unlimited you have to have a full cage.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Evolving Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I call them parties to break up the more seriousness of NASA. Let's hang out at Gridlife South and have a good time. I'm hoping I have a shot to win Street Mod AWD. My least favorite part of their rules is that to run Hoosiers you have to be in unlimited and technically to be in unlimited you have to have a full cage.
Limited class treadwear got bumped down to 80 for 2018 so Hankook TDs are legal this year. Still not the same as ho hos but still better than a street tire or r comps.

Also, I think they're a bit loose on what they classify as a full cage. Been a few months since I've been through the rulebook though.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:51 AM   #11
Newbie
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drives: 2006 Evo RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoustin View Post
Limited class treadwear got bumped down to 80 for 2018 so Hankook TDs are legal this year. Still not the same as ho hos but still better than a street tire or r comps.

Also, I think they're a bit loose on what they classify as a full cage. Been a few months since I've been through the rulebook though.
I believe it got bumped down to 80TW for GTA Limited class but not the equivalent Gridlife Track Modified class. I used both RC1s and NT01s at 100TW and they both suck compared to some of the 200TW options. I've never run on a TD, but I have lots of time on Toyo RRs and Hoosier A7/R7s.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:37 AM   #12
Evolving Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I believe it got bumped down to 80TW for GTA Limited class but not the equivalent Gridlife Track Modified class. I used both RC1s and NT01s at 100TW and they both suck compared to some of the 200TW options. I've never run on a TD, but I have lots of time on Toyo RRs and Hoosier A7/R7s.
Ah, yea I forgot GL doesn't use GTA classes, although they are pretty similar. My only experience is with RC1s and Bridgestone S04pp on track. It seems like the RE71 is the go to for TA but gets greasy after a couple of laps. I don't have budget for more than one set of tires right now so I'll be riding out my RC1s until they're toast. From there I'll either get NT01s or TDs.

Last edited by ayoustin; Jan 23, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 03:27 PM   #13
EvoM Moderator
iTrader: (28)
 
kyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: US
Posts: 7,025
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts

Drives: IX

i'm debating between 245/40-18 RS4s and RT615K+ in the same size - the RT615K+'s are much cheaper, but will they last me 6 track days? That's about roughly how many I'm expecting to do this year, hoping they will last me the whole season. I'm doing HPDE's, not racing, I'm not fast
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 04:23 PM   #14
Evolving Member
 
ayoustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 412
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
i'm debating between 245/40-18 RS4s and RT615K+ in the same size - the RT615K+'s are much cheaper, but will they last me 6 track days? That's about roughly how many I'm expecting to do this year, hoping they will last me the whole season. I'm doing HPDE's, not racing, I'm not fast
I had RS3v2s on and old car and loved them, although that was only autox but I've heard they're good track tires and I've also heard the RS4 was an improvement.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayoustin For This Useful Post:
kyoo (Jan 23, 2018)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 05:45 PM   #15
EvoM Moderator
iTrader: (28)
 
kyoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: US
Posts: 7,025
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts

Drives: IX

only thing is i can go 255/40 on the RT615K+ - vs 245/40 on the RS4. I don't want to run 255/35 because I think I need as tall of gearing as I can get
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS[Northeast]: Angry Aero evo 9 bumper shutters killerpenguin21 For Sale - Interior / Exterior / Sound / Styling 2 Oct 29, 2017 11:27 AM
New Exedy Twin Organic - Wow! joseph_mills Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain 15 Aug 22, 2017 10:13 AM
Gridlife South 2017 Shiroi Kitsune Motor Sports 15 Jun 18, 2017 03:19 PM
2016 GRIDLIFE south - road atlanta Balrok Motor Sports 109 Oct 12, 2016 02:44 PM
THMotorsports [email protected] Midwest 2016!!! THmotorsports Vendor Announcements 0 Jun 10, 2016 10:32 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: