Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Greetings!
I wanted to start up a thread about Gridlife 2018 and the Trackbattle series. I wanted to know what EvoM members are planning on attending and in what classes. I'm registered for Track Modified Round 1 at Mid Ohio. I wasn't able to snag a ticket for the Midwest Festival. Was anyone else shocked at how fast HPDE and Trackbattle tickets sold? Anyone here snag one for Midwest?

Car wise, I've got a very mild Track Mod car, but it's still the correct class due do to suspension adjustments and missing rear seat. Mostly I want clear track to do my best and get the experience of Time Attack. I know I can't be competitive, especially at 320whp, but I can compete with myself.

Who else is going? What are you bringing?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I'm not too shocked at how fast they sold. Last year the spectator early bird tickets sold out in 45 mins. Unfortunately I was pretty distracted this week and didn't remember to buy a ticket so I'm going to be banking on someone not being able to make it and selling theirs.

I don't think I'll be doing time attack this year as I still want to get more seat time in the car before I start competing so I'll be looking for an HPDE pass. If I can get a ticket I'll be bringing my car, an 04 8, gutted, caged, little bit of aero, 275 RC1 slicks, built bottom end, CBRD 3B turbo, Ohlins flags, bunch o Whiteline bushings, other bolt on stuff etc.

Old Jan 21, 2018, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I plan on trying to do a full season of GL this year.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ran Track Modified RWD in my turbo S2000 last season at Mid Ohio, Midwest Festival, and South Festival. I plan to run the new Evo in Street Modified AWD on 255 RE71Rs at South Festival. I still might show up for Midwest Festival as well.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'll be going to the autobahn south one - if tickets don't get fully sold out. normally autoxing in the midwest, prob going to pick up some 255s on evo x wheels to be legal for the hpde class
Old Jan 22, 2018, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I won unlimited the first year they did the south one, but I wasn't too impressed with the crowd or format compared to other events. If everyone decides to show up I may come out again.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I'm not too shocked at how fast they sold. Last year the spectator early bird tickets sold out in 45 mins. Unfortunately I was pretty distracted this week and didn't remember to buy a ticket so I'm going to be banking on someone not being able to make it and selling theirs.

I don't think I'll be doing time attack this year as I still want to get more seat time in the car before I start competing so I'll be looking for an HPDE pass. If I can get a ticket I'll be bringing my car, an 04 8, gutted, caged, little bit of aero, 275 RC1 slicks, built bottom end, CBRD 3B turbo, Ohlins flags, bunch o Whiteline bushings, other bolt on stuff etc.

Track ****
Old Jan 22, 2018, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
I won unlimited the first year they did the south one, but I wasn't too impressed with the crowd or format compared to other events. If everyone decides to show up I may come out again.
I'm trying to convince my old man to lend me his truck for a few months so I've got a tow rig for most of the season. If that works out then I plan to swing down to GA for south. Would definitely be cool if there was a crowd of evos.

Originally Posted by jedibow
Track ****
Hahaha. I'm trying to make it to 4 track days between the middle of April and the beginning of June. It's gonna be hectic for sure.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I call them parties to break up the more seriousness of NASA. Let's hang out at Gridlife South and have a good time. I'm hoping I have a shot to win Street Mod AWD. My least favorite part of their rules is that to run Hoosiers you have to be in unlimited and technically to be in unlimited you have to have a full cage.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by King Tut
I call them parties to break up the more seriousness of NASA. Let's hang out at Gridlife South and have a good time. I'm hoping I have a shot to win Street Mod AWD. My least favorite part of their rules is that to run Hoosiers you have to be in unlimited and technically to be in unlimited you have to have a full cage.
Limited class treadwear got bumped down to 80 for 2018 so Hankook TDs are legal this year. Still not the same as ho hos but still better than a street tire or r comps.

Also, I think they're a bit loose on what they classify as a full cage. Been a few months since I've been through the rulebook though.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Limited class treadwear got bumped down to 80 for 2018 so Hankook TDs are legal this year. Still not the same as ho hos but still better than a street tire or r comps.

Also, I think they're a bit loose on what they classify as a full cage. Been a few months since I've been through the rulebook though.
I believe it got bumped down to 80TW for GTA Limited class but not the equivalent Gridlife Track Modified class. I used both RC1s and NT01s at 100TW and they both suck compared to some of the 200TW options. I've never run on a TD, but I have lots of time on Toyo RRs and Hoosier A7/R7s.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by King Tut
I believe it got bumped down to 80TW for GTA Limited class but not the equivalent Gridlife Track Modified class. I used both RC1s and NT01s at 100TW and they both suck compared to some of the 200TW options. I've never run on a TD, but I have lots of time on Toyo RRs and Hoosier A7/R7s.
Ah, yea I forgot GL doesn't use GTA classes, although they are pretty similar. My only experience is with RC1s and Bridgestone S04pp on track. It seems like the RE71 is the go to for TA but gets greasy after a couple of laps. I don't have budget for more than one set of tires right now so I'll be riding out my RC1s until they're toast. From there I'll either get NT01s or TDs.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jan 23, 2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

i'm debating between 245/40-18 RS4s and RT615K+ in the same size - the RT615K+'s are much cheaper, but will they last me 6 track days? That's about roughly how many I'm expecting to do this year, hoping they will last me the whole season. I'm doing HPDE's, not racing, I'm not fast
Old Jan 23, 2018, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
i'm debating between 245/40-18 RS4s and RT615K+ in the same size - the RT615K+'s are much cheaper, but will they last me 6 track days? That's about roughly how many I'm expecting to do this year, hoping they will last me the whole season. I'm doing HPDE's, not racing, I'm not fast
I had RS3v2s on and old car and loved them, although that was only autox but I've heard they're good track tires and I've also heard the RS4 was an improvement.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jan 23, 2018)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

only thing is i can go 255/40 on the RT615K+ - vs 245/40 on the RS4. I don't want to run 255/35 because I think I need as tall of gearing as I can get

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion