Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I did some testing on a set of 245 RS4s (Street tires) versus my 275 NT01s at the Gridlife weekends with my turbo S2000. I didn't notice a huge difference in grip. I would definitely go with them over the RT615K option. I just made my decision between the 255/35/18 RS4, SUR4G, and RE71R, and I went with the RE71R this time. I shouldn't have any issues getting that 1 or 2 fast laps out of them before they get greasy as I have plenty of laps at each of the tracks Gridlife runs at.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
How do the SUR4G handle heat or wet conditions? I'm needing a new non-hoosier tire and the RA1's have been doing fine but they are too tall and the compound is pretty old tech.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
I call them parties to break up the more seriousness of NASA. Let's hang out at Gridlife South and have a good time. I'm hoping I have a shot to win Street Mod AWD. My least favorite part of their rules is that to run Hoosiers you have to be in unlimited and technically to be in unlimited you have to have a full cage.
To be blunt, the more seriousness equates to more respect and ultimately common sense, which I assumed was track dudes in general, but. GL takes it the opposite direction without instilling the discipline, IMO. Now most of us are experienced and already have that, but srsly from the people taking sh*t out of cars to fights to amateur hour on a hot lap, then you have to listen to the T1M3 ATTACK! dudes throw a fit and I'm sitting there like .....ahhhhh, thats why Nasa and all the others do it that way. Then again, maybe I'm just getting old haha.

And...you should have a cage
Old Jan 24, 2018, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
^

i expressed exactly this concern on another thread, another forum, to which i was told how professional and whatever GL was, and it was just the drifters who were like that. ugh. guess i'll be passing on GL, there are a ton of other clubs hosting track events all the time, don't need to be at one that caters to the hoonigan crowd.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think they cater to a "hoonigan crowd" but when you have THAT many people there I'm sure things will be a little different than a NASA event where there are zero spectators.

I cant say anything in regards to any of the Road Atlanta events but Ive been to every Midwest event and I've never had a problem with anything on or off track.

Gridlife might not be for everyone though. Some want a low key event with few people and that's fine. Plenty of events out there to do.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I don't think they cater to a "hoonigan crowd" but when you have THAT many people there I'm sure things will be a little different than a NASA event where there are zero spectators.

I cant say anything in regards to any of the Road Atlanta events but Ive been to every Midwest event and I've never had a problem with anything on or off track.

Gridlife might not be for everyone though. Some want a low key event with few people and that's fine. Plenty of events out there to do.
have you ever ran with the northwoods shelby club? seems like they put on a good number of events all throughout the midwest, and seem like decent people. haven't actually been to an event yet, just spoke with an organizer
Old Jan 25, 2018, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
have you ever ran with the northwoods shelby club? seems like they put on a good number of events all throughout the midwest, and seem like decent people. haven't actually been to an event yet, just spoke with an organizer
Yes long time ago at Road America. They seem to run a good HPDE event.

Honestly HPDE stuff is pretty easy to run, shouldn't have a problem finding a good DE event to run.

GridLife Festival events are nothing like your typical DE event. However they do have their regular (non festival) events and those are much more like your typical NASA weekend.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
^Ya I was gonna comment that Andy likely never had an issue with all the ones he's been to, but he's Mr. rock and roll superstar at those events so he likely has people carrying him around, signing *****, ya know . I will say that GL is much more laid back officials wise for the already mentioned reasons which many people prefer. It's like if you enjoyed just going to concerts, it depends on who's playing if "you" are gonna have a good time Me - I'm craft beer, bbq, classic rock, the fam and the dogs
Old Jan 25, 2018, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i went to mid-ohio last year and it felt like any other nada event ive ran. minus getting dq'd lol but it was my own fault for not properly measuring my splitter.

probably not going this year...none of my current cars fit a class well enough
Old Jan 26, 2018, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
^Ya I was gonna comment that Andy likely never had an issue with all the ones he's been to, but he's Mr. rock and roll superstar at those events so he likely has people carrying him around, signing *****, ya know . I will say that GL is much more laid back officials wise for the already mentioned reasons which many people prefer. It's like if you enjoyed just going to concerts, it depends on who's playing if "you" are gonna have a good time Me - I'm craft beer, bbq, classic rock, the fam and the dogs
haha. if only.

So every year ive been to the festival, ive never made it to the music area. Ive always hung back in the pits and chill with the rest of the track guys. The videos make it appear as if its a wild and crazy party, but for me it just seems like a normal track day with more people walking around. Everyone is super respectful (at least throughout the paddock area). Stay away from party central and you wont have a problem.

See ya guys there!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

lol!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
haha. if only.

So every year ive been to the festival, ive never made it to the music area. Ive always hung back in the pits and chill with the rest of the track guys. The videos make it appear as if its a wild and crazy party, but for me it just seems like a normal track day with more people walking around. Everyone is super respectful (at least throughout the paddock area). Stay away from party central and you wont have a problem.

See ya guys there!
This was more the impression I had. Festivals brought a different spectator crowd, so you've got to expect more noise, more "riff-raff" and pay attention to your property like you would at any public event. I assumed the Trackbattles are more typical track days with small non-diverse crowd of track rats.

One interesting complaint I heard from Gridlife south was drifters throwing a bunch of junk on the track (dirt, plastic). HPDE groups end up clearing it up for the Trackbattle sessions. Which seems like a track issue more than organizer, but still interesting.

What transponders do they allow/use for Trackbattle?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
What transponders do they allow/use for Trackbattle?
Same ones NASA uses so your AMB TranX260 or the newer subscription based ones. They will rent you one for the weekend for a small fee but if you already have one you give them the number at registration.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
Same ones NASA uses so your AMB TranX260 or the newer subscription based ones. They will rent you one for the weekend for a small fee but if you already have one you give them the number at registration.
Quick rules questions for you guys... starting with the sources:
http://www.grid.life/trackbattle-time-attack-rules
http://tech.grid.life/docs/GRIDLIFE2...guidelines.pdf

In the Time Attack Rules, as I started, I feel that I have a Street Mod car (at heart) but fall into Track Mod for small items.

How should i approach the following:

Street Modified
Will my Voltex front Fenders comply:
1.11 "Aftermarket over fenders and fender modification is permitted for tire clearance."
3. 6 "The top of the tire may not protrude past the widest point of the wheel arch when viewed from above. Body lines may not be altered overfenders may be added if wheel openings do not change rough dimensions, when viewed from the horizontal perspective, when fenders are rolled."
I have Coil-overs, Adjustable Sway Bars, Camber/Caster Plates... how do I "count adjustments" per:

3.3 Suspension is limited to two adjustments unless OEM equipped.

I initially thought my rear seat delete would violate the rules, but looks like this is OK because of my roll bar installation.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Quick rules questions for you guys... starting with the sources:
http://www.grid.life/trackbattle-time-attack-rules
http://tech.grid.life/docs/GRIDLIFE2...guidelines.pdf

In the Time Attack Rules, as I started, I feel that I have a Street Mod car (at heart) but fall into Track Mod for small items.

How should i approach the following:

Street Modified
Will my Voltex front Fenders comply:
1.11 "Aftermarket over fenders and fender modification is permitted for tire clearance."
3. 6 "The top of the tire may not protrude past the widest point of the wheel arch when viewed from above. Body lines may not be altered overfenders may be added if wheel openings do not change rough dimensions, when viewed from the horizontal perspective, when fenders are rolled."
I have Coil-overs, Adjustable Sway Bars, Camber/Caster Plates... how do I "count adjustments" per:

3.3 Suspension is limited to two adjustments unless OEM equipped.

I initially thought my rear seat delete would violate the rules, but looks like this is OK because of my roll bar installation.
I'm too cheap for Voltex anything, so I can't help you there as I don't know what they look like, but what they really only allow are your typical over fenders that retain the OEM shape just add a little more tire coverage at the top. Suspension adjustments are referring to two or three or four way adjustable shocks.

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion