Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2018, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Yup, you're fine on the suspension. It's to eliminate people from running uber $10k+ suspension setups.

As for the fenders I don't think they'd chew you up on the fenders. How I interpret those rules is that fenders are only allowed to give more tire room, not for aero benefits or allow for taller tires and you can't have tires poking out of the fenders either. Street mod has a tire width max anyway so it's not like you're running wider fenders to fit a wider tire.

If those are the only things that you think put you into track mod then I would email the GL officials about the fenders and explain your case.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I think my big issue is my KWs are 3-Way adjustable. I picked them up used and cheap, have never really leveraged that adjustability. I figured it would make the car grow with my driving ability (at the time with no knowledge of rules). Adjustments are all direct, not remote and easy either. Is that something worth bringing up with GL officials?

For visual.. here is my cars profile on the fenders.

Last edited by dave_evolvix; Jan 30, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 05:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Ah, didn't realize you had three way adjustable coils. That's not something I think they'll budge on no matter how you slice it. I don't think they'd make a fuss about the fenders.

Just to be clear the the coils you have are the 3 way adjustables and not V3s correct?

3 way: http://www.kwsuspensions.com/product...-39765206.html

V3: http://www.kwsuspensions.com/product...-35265006.html
Old Jan 30, 2018, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

They are definitely 3 Way. Two compression adjustments. Robispec Group-N. Got a screaming deal and had KW Rebuild them.

I'm assuming I couldn't satisfy GL tech by locking my low speed adjustments or something. Not sure how, tamper proof seal?

Worst case I just need to learn how to make that adjustability give me an advantage? How do they split up sessions? Like are Stock, Street Mod, Track, and unlimited all on track at once? Maybe I can just run with Street as not to slow down my fast track mod buddies.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

No I don't think there's really any way around it. Because you have the adjustability from the get go so you'd be able to set the suspension before you even got to the track and have a leg up.

You should definitely learn how to adjust them because shock tuning is one of the biggest differences you can make in a suspension system.

I'm not sure how they split up the time attack groups. I'd guess it's chopped up based on class. I heard last year they had over 140 cars for time attack so that would make me think that each class would get its own run time.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
run groups are set by time, not by class. example - ftd is 1:30, so group a is 1:30 to 1:40, group b is 1:41 to 1:50 etc. might vary slightly at bigger events.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 08:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
run groups are set by time, not by class. example - ftd is 1:30, so group a is 1:30 to 1:40, group b is 1:41 to 1:50 etc. might vary slightly at bigger events.
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I heard they were trying to downsize entries a bit this year because they had a hell of a time last year trying to give everyone enough space without running into traffic.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The issue was at the bigger festival events you had everyone and their brother, and their uncle, and their third cousin wanting to run Time Attack when they really didn't have the experience or speed. I think there was one event we ran as many as 5 different time attack sessions. I think as long as you can prove you are a legitimate time attack / time trails driver in a competitive car you can get an entry. They have a form on the website if say you missed out on the already sold out Midwest Festival.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
So I think my big issue is my KWs are 3-Way adjustable. I picked them up used and cheap, have never really leveraged that adjustability. I figured it would make the car grow with my driving ability (at the time with no knowledge of rules). Adjustments are all direct, not remote and easy either. Is that something worth bringing up with GL officials?

For visual.. here is my cars profile on the fenders.
Yeah those fenders do not meet the class rules for being only an overfender. They have a vent at the rear. As an example of what is allowed look at the Voltex front overfenders for the S2000:

Old Jan 31, 2018, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by King Tut
Yeah those fenders do not meet the class rules for being only an overfender. They have a vent at the rear. As an example of what is allowed look at the Voltex front overfenders for the S2000:

Well I'm stuck in Track-Mod, glad I classed myself conservatively from the beginning. Maybe next season I'll evaluate hacking up factory fenders and getting a 2-way coilover set to drop down a class.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Well I'm stuck in Track-Mod, glad I classed myself conservatively from the beginning. Maybe next season I'll evaluate hacking up factory fenders and getting a 2-way coilover set to drop down a class.
So it will be you and Michael Puglisi in Track Modified AWD. He is the only other Evo I can think of in that class.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Brandon Ranvek will be back with his Evo this season in Track mod. His Evo will be faster than ever. Dogbox, 3576 turbo with a 2.3L.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Since it was brought up. The other day I saw a company advertise an "affordable" dogbox. Does anyone know of a dog gearset for under 3k? Has anyone run a faceplated trans on a track car? Everything I've found on them is just drag use.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Since it was brought up. The other day I saw a company advertise an "affordable" dogbox. Does anyone know of a dog gearset for under 3k? Has anyone run a faceplated trans on a track car? Everything I've found on them is just drag use.
Liberty Gears is your cheapest dogbox. that's what we've ran. 1-4Dogbox gearset is $4700ish. still need to add on a 5th gear, Final Drive, plus the rest of the trans parts. In the end you'll have about a $7k complete trans.

The Liberty set is basically a faceplated gear.

Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Liberty Gears is your cheapest dogbox. that's what we've ran. 1-4Dogbox gearset is $4700ish. still need to add on a 5th gear, Final Drive, plus the rest of the trans parts. In the end you'll have about a $7k complete trans.

The Liberty set is basically a faceplated gear.
That was kind of the price I was expecting to hear. Liberty does make some very nice stuff though and they're just a few hours away from me on the other side of the state.

I think I'll probably just send my gears to them to get faceplated when the time comes to refresh the trans. Faceplating the stock gears saves a pretty big penny over a full dogbox.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion