Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
lol! so jdm bumper = xp?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
have you ever ran with the northwoods shelby club? seems like they put on a good number of events all throughout the midwest, and seem like decent people. haven't actually been to an event yet, just spoke with an organizer
I've raced with Northwood Shelby club for a few seasons. I also run with GPS Track Times, they are both great groups.

Northwood has an much older crowd and GPS has a bit younger crowd. I preferred GPS because the crowd is closer to our age and I like the organizer. Both are great groups to run with.

The only thing I will say, if you want to learn how to go fast. Ruining time attack at Gridlife. This is where I learned that I wasn't that fast. LOL

If you're not in for the partying, (I'm not either) There are a lot a seriously fast guys that are friendly, willing to openly share information, and help. It's a great racing event in that aspect.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Yea the longer gearing would definitely be nice. If it's under a grand then that's a pretty good price. I was already planning to go to TRE since they're somewhat local, just a couple hours away. I haven't seen enough good reviews of the carbon synchros to think they'd be worth upgrading to.
TRE is awesome. He does all my trans work. He now sells a straight cut 4th gears with double synchros. They will last a lot longer than the single and take more shifting abuse.

I agree with EVOizmm, Stay away from dogbox/faceplate. A properly built synchro trans paired with a proper clutch (Exedy twin) will shift quickly and last much longer.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awdboosted
TRE is awesome. He does all my trans work. He now sells a straight cut 4th gears with double synchros. They will last a lot longer than the single and take more shifting abuse.

I agree with EVOizmm, Stay away from dogbox/faceplate. A properly built synchro trans paired with a proper clutch (Exedy twin) will shift quickly and last much longer.
Is the Exedy Twin the gold standard TA/TT/HPDE clutch? My Clutchmasters FX300 might be getting a little worn, hoping it makes it through the season. Which disc option? Carbon/Heavy/Standard?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts

Good info, thanks.

I've been running a Comp sprung stage 4 clutch and really like it. Hasn't given me any issues shifting. The two big downsides to a twin disc to me are more weight and $$$. When the time comes for me to make more than 500whp I'll probably make the jump to a twin.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A proper dog box or even faceplate system will absolutely shift faster than a synchro box in nearly any case. Unfortunately the performance and reliability is much more up to the driver at that point, so there is always going to be mixed results.

Zack
Old Feb 12, 2018, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Is the Exedy Twin the gold standard TA/TT/HPDE clutch? My Clutchmasters FX300 might be getting a little worn, hoping it makes it through the season. Which disc option? Carbon/Heavy/Standard?
We are talking about the HD metallic one. It's not so much the gold standard. They just work very well. Also Jon @ TRE likes them a lot because they are sprung hubs and they don't beat up the gears and synchro stops.

I've been running a Comp sprung stage 4 clutch and really like it. Hasn't given me any issues shifting. The two big downsides to a twin disc to me are more weight and $$$. When the time comes for me to make more than 500whp I'll probably make the jump to a twin.
Weight on the flywheel/clutch is good, within reason. It keeps the vibration down and keeps transmission and engine parts happy. The big thing to remember is having something with sprung hub, but you don't need an Exedy Twin. Just a clutch that we have seen that works very well.

If you have a race car that only lives at the track, then you can run something like a Quarter Master. Since the car doesn't see much run time.

Originally Posted by wanabgts
A proper dog box or even faceplate system will absolutely shift faster than a synchro box in nearly any case. Unfortunately the performance and reliability is much more up to the driver at that point, so there is always going to be mixed results.
This is all true; however, a modified hub, sleeve, oil path, and synchro with a good releasing clutch will shift fairly quickly. For most people on here, the dog box option is not a good solution and faceplating an OEM 4th gear will eventually end with missing teeth.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Lets talk tires quickly. So I was under the impression my class was limited to 255 width and 100TW. Apparently it's unlimited width. I've run "275" width tires on my car before with R-Compounds and Full Slick.

What is the 100TW tire of choice? Pro's Con's?

I'm looking at NT01s, RS4s, 595RS-RR, RE71R. I'm leaning away from the RE71R due to concerns about it not taking back to back hot laps.

What are you guys running?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Seems like everyone who's not in unlimited is running the RE71R. None of those other options are as soft from what I've seen. The NT01 will hold up better long term but you'll be giving up some time.

I was interested in trying to run Federal FZ201 as it's a 100TW rcomp and they offer medium and soft compounds but I've yet to find any reviews on them.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like everyone who's not in unlimited is running the RE71R. None of those other options are as soft from what I've seen. The NT01 will hold up better long term but you'll be giving up some time.

I was interested in trying to run Federal FZ201 as it's a 100TW rcomp and they offer medium and soft compounds but I've yet to find any reviews on them.
Federal FZ201 - can't tell you anything about them. What about a Maxxis RC-1?

I'm not worried about being in the top times, willing to give up times for being able to get more full-pace seat time per session and get the experience. Having my tires hold up better, be less expensive to run in the season. NT01 and RS4 seem like good candidates.

How do the NT01 and RS4 compare?

Economy tires below.. thoughts?
Federal 595RS-RR
Nexen N FERA SUR4G
Old Feb 22, 2018, 04:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Federal FZ201 - can't tell you anything about them. What about a Maxxis RC-1?

I'm not worried about being in the top times, willing to give up times for being able to get more full-pace seat time per session and get the experience. Having my tires hold up better, be less expensive to run in the season. NT01 and RS4 seem like good candidates.

Economy tires below.. thoughts?
Federal 595RS-RR
Nexen N FERA SUR4G
The RS4, 595 and SUR4G will probaby get greasy after they get pretty hot. Of the three the RS4 would be my first choice, I had RS3V2s and they were great tires.

I run 275/35 RC1s on my evo. They're great trackday tires because they wear pretty well and have a pretty good amount of grip. Priced pretty well, fairly similar to an NT01 from what I've heard. You need to put a good amount of heat into them to wake them up though so they're not the best time attack tire.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lets talk tires quickly. So I was under the impression my class was limited to 255 width and 100TW. Apparently it's unlimited width. I've run "275" width tires on my car before with R-Compounds and Full Slick.

What is the 100TW tire of choice? Pro's Con's?

I'm looking at NT01s, RS4s, 595RS-RR, RE71R. I'm leaning away from the RE71R due to concerns about it not taking back to back hot laps.

What are you guys running?
In Track Modified the two fastest tire options are the Viper ACR Kumho 720 and the Advan A052. The second level of tires are the RE71R Hoosierstones and the BFG Rival S. I wouldn't consider any other tire even though they allow 100TW tires they all suck compared to the 200TW battle that goes on thanks to Optima and the SCCA.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I ran both of them NT01 in 275 and RS4 in 255 on my Track Modified Turbo S2000 last season. The NT01 definitely gave me more confidence and felt faster. I would definitely pick the NT01 if I was looking to buy a 100TW tire.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

So I signed up for Gridlife South Festival last Friday. Looking forward to my one Gridlife event this season. Plan is still Street Modified AWD on 255 Hoosierstones. I will debate a turbo upgrade and switch to E85 once the summer starts and my NASA TT4 season has a break.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts

Technically he dislikes twin's, even the Exedy one, due to it wearing input shafts all the time. He went on for weeks on that so I gave in and got the Exedy HD single instead just to quiet him down lol.

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion