Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
car looks fast! what was your lap? i think my fastest on the south is like a 1:43.8, ab ~310hp, 8/10 coils, bars, diff, etc. gonna do this full course this weekend with SCCA PDX
1:40.2 was my best and in the YouTube video. Car made ~320whp @ CBRD. With the heat and humidity it's actually the weakest the motor has felt, spoiled by cool track days I guess.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
including this here due to prior discussions regarding "race" oils. here's my UOA from blackstone from my evo on the red line race oil 30wt with 4 autoxs and 2 track days; more precisely, 29 autox runs ~50s each, and 6 20 minute hpde sessions. I included the TBN to get a sense of how much/long you can use the oil for. After 1,500 miles, which included the events listed, some around town driving and 2 8-hour round trips from STL to Joliet, which is 70-75mph highway driving. The TBN was fine, meaning that for my uses, this will be fine. The oil was in the car for roughly 5 months, which will be about my usage. The viscosity is low on the 30wt, but with the wear being fine I'm not much inclined to try the 40wt race oil, though I don't think it will be a bad choice. increased copper may be due to the new oil cooler I just installed, AL and iron are solid which is what I'm most interested in. huge amounts of moly & zddp. finally, I believe that my results may be better due to having a larger oil pan (~6 - 6.5qts vs 4.5 oem, almost 50% increase in oil). just physically more oil to use, more additives to go through.

Last edited by kyoo; Jul 30, 2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not a bad weekend for the Evos. We took 2nd and 3rd in Street Modified AWD, and Puglisi took 2nd in Track Modified AWD. Well my first Gridlife Track Battle event of the year went pretty well. I got 2nd out of 12 losing to Sally in her WRX. The car was fast enough to beat her, but I just couldn't get my fast right after all the crashes of the weekend. It's weird because normally that isn't an issue for me. I ran E85 on my stock turbo. Didn't dyno it, but I figure it was 375 whpish. My fastest lap was a 1:34.9 hitting 136 mph on the back straight at Road Atlanta. I tried out both the RE71R and the A052 both in 255/35/18 sizes on my Enkei NT03+M 18x9.5 wheels. I didn't see a big difference at all between the tires. We almost destroyed two Evos in the "incident" as I like to call it of the weekend. I posted my video on Instagram and Facebook, but I haven't put it on YouTube yet. I did put up my fastest lap and here it is:

The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Aug 29, 2018)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Interesting that S2K is running same times as Evo: considering Evo makes a lot more power, has less twitchy rear end, adn weighs maybe 300lb more which is offset by way more torque and power.

Can you enlighten us?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Interesting that S2K is running same times as Evo: considering Evo makes a lot more power, has less twitchy rear end, adn weighs maybe 300lb more which is offset by way more torque and power.

Can you enlighten us?
Which S2k are you talking about?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by King Tut
Not a bad weekend for the Evos. We took 2nd and 3rd in Street Modified AWD, and Puglisi took 2nd in Track Modified AWD. Well my first Gridlife Track Battle event of the year went pretty well. I got 2nd out of 12 losing to Sally in her WRX. The car was fast enough to beat her, but I just couldn't get my fast right after all the crashes of the weekend. It's weird because normally that isn't an issue for me. I ran E85 on my stock turbo. Didn't dyno it, but I figure it was 375 whpish. My fastest lap was a 1:34.9 hitting 136 mph on the back straight at Road Atlanta. I tried out both the RE71R and the A052 both in 255/35/18 sizes on my Enkei NT03+M 18x9.5 wheels. I didn't see a big difference at all between the tires. We almost destroyed two Evos in the "incident" as I like to call it of the weekend. I posted my video on Instagram and Facebook, but I haven't put it on YouTube yet. I did put up my fastest lap and here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGNzLDJkEjk
That FP GTR and SRT4 incident certainly has Facebook drama on high alert. Watching totaled Vettes get towed off the front straight while your in the hot pits definitely had a mental impact on my corner 12 for the first couple laps. I've got to say I'm really impressed with your 1:34.9, when you consider Sally's Subaru has in excess of 500awhp. I must say that I expect you might have less than 375, I was hitting 138-140 with my recently dyno'd 315whp (CBRD mustang). However, I was waay slower. Definitely helping me believe in driver mod before power. I have bone stock aero however... What lateral grip (gs) do you get with 255 A052s?

Old Aug 30, 2018, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
the aero on his car probably kill some top speed compare to your stock aero.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
That FP GTR and SRT4 incident certainly has Facebook drama on high alert. Watching totaled Vettes get towed off the front straight while your in the hot pits definitely had a mental impact on my corner 12 for the first couple laps. I've got to say I'm really impressed with your 1:34.9, when you consider Sally's Subaru has in excess of 500awhp. I must say that I expect you might have less than 375, I was hitting 138-140 with my recently dyno'd 315whp (CBRD mustang). However, I was waay slower. Definitely helping me believe in driver mod before power. I have bone stock aero however... What lateral grip (gs) do you get with 255 A052s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uvR4KVdvkg
Yeah I had to drive through that debris field along with Puglisi. Here is my view of it:

All I did was throw on the E85 fueling tune I had and set the timing based off of some research on this site and sent it. I didn't have time to get it on the dyno, and I normally run my 284 whp 93 octane TT3 tune. It might have been less than 375 whp, but that seemed to be a reasonable number for a stock Evo 9 turbo. I hit 1.4 G on both the RE71R and AO52 while Tom O hit 1.5 G on the A052s when he drove my car to a 33.7 on Saturday. I was pretty pissed at myself for not getting closer to that laptime Sunday morning, but DeReus crashed on lap 1, and I had a yellow displayed for my first hot lap then we got black flagged.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

However, I was waay slower. Definitely helping me believe in driver mod before power.
Watched your video. That was my boy Brian out of Arizona in the LSB E46 M3 that you were following. He went 38s on his first time to Road Atlanta. Looks like you got most of what that car had to offer out of it. I would try to loosen it up as you appeared to be fighting that AWD understeer more than I was. Tom O did recommend I try to fix the low speed understeer on my car. He actually missed the apex at turn 7 both of his hot laps. I am going to experiment with a rear sway bar hole change next weekend at NOLA where I am way more familiar and consistent.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Which S2k are you talking about?
I carried a thought off your other thread: see here, reference to your TT3 S2K going '38 vs Evo '39

"So I didn't make it to Honda Meet or to Sebring. I did however make it to the NASA Mid South event at Barber Motorsports Park. It was a nice relaxing weekend taking an easy win by over 5 seconds each day. It was also nice to be out there competing with another Evo as Adam made the trip out in his TT3 Evo. Everything went as well as it could have. I decided to target a 39 for the weekend as I had gone a 38 in my TT3 S2000 in similar hot conditions. I only had to put three heat cycles on my good NASA 266mm legal R7s. I set my 1:39.2 laptime in the first session Sunday morning, and here is the video:"

Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
I carried a thought off your other thread: see here, reference to your TT3 S2K going '38 vs Evo '39

"So I didn't make it to Honda Meet or to Sebring. I did however make it to the NASA Mid South event at Barber Motorsports Park. It was a nice relaxing weekend taking an easy win by over 5 seconds each day. It was also nice to be out there competing with another Evo as Adam made the trip out in his TT3 Evo. Everything went as well as it could have. I decided to target a 39 for the weekend as I had gone a 38 in my TT3 S2000 in similar hot conditions. I only had to put three heat cycles on my good NASA 266mm legal R7s. I set my 1:39.2 laptime in the first session Sunday morning, and here is the video:"
My S2k is not like most S2ks. Mine had a GTX3076R and was detuned to run 322 whp and weighed 3000 lbs to run in TT3 at 9.3:1. My Evo runs in the next class down which is TT4 and is detuned to run 284 whp and weighs 3,300 lbs to run at 11.5:1. I have been very close to or beating my S2k times with the Evo as it is much easier to drive. I did a 35 last year at Gridlife South Festival with my S2k, but it was much hotter, and it was in the process of blowing up. I did a 38.0 at Gingerman in my S2k, so I am hoping to beat that with a 37 or a 36 if I go to Round 5 in October.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Aug 30, 2018)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Watched your video. That was my boy Brian out of Arizona in the LSB E46 M3 that you were following. He went 38s on his first time to Road Atlanta. Looks like you got most of what that car had to offer out of it. I would try to loosen it up as you appeared to be fighting that AWD understeer more than I was. Tom O did recommend I try to fix the low speed understeer on my car. He actually missed the apex at turn 7 both of his hot laps. I am going to experiment with a rear sway bar hole change next weekend at NOLA where I am way more familiar and consistent.
I enjoyed following Brian, definitely seemed to really walk away in straights, but I felt I had corner speed in a few spots to close the gap and keep it fun. My line I was really trying to use the curbing where it seemed correct, I've noted that you and others in the 30s (and lower) aren't. Am I overdoing it?

Setup tweaking is certainly a skill I need to build. I wish I had grabbed Tom O as well. Can you define loosen the car? What adjustments? I definitely felt like I could only really get 1.1-1.2gs out of it consistently, and the NT01s needed to be screaming to really give that maximum grip and some notable slip angles.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

I enjoyed following Brian, definitely seemed to really walk away in straights, but I felt I had corner speed in a few spots to close the gap and keep it fun. My line I was really trying to use the curbing where it seemed correct, I've noted that you and others in the 30s (and lower) aren't. Am I overdoing it?

Setup tweaking is certainly a skill I need to build. I wish I had grabbed Tom O as well. Can you define loosen the car? What adjustments? I definitely felt like I could only really get 1.1-1.2gs out of it consistently, and the NT01s needed to be screaming to really give that maximum grip and some notable slip angles.
To loosen it you either decrease the front effective spring rate or you increase the rear effective spring rate with spring rate or sway bar changes. I would add more rear spring rate or rear sway bar till the car understeers less.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i for sure need to fix the understeer in my car. i feel like any front bar just adds so much scrub, from resisting roll... probably will step down my front springs
Old Aug 31, 2018, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

To loosen it you either decrease the front effective spring rate or you increase the rear effective spring rate with spring rate or sway bar changes. I would add more rear spring rate or rear sway bar till the car understeers less.
Springs: 100 N/mm front; 90 N/mm rear
I have adjustable white-line front and rear bars. I'll try stiffening the rear sway bar first because that's really easy to try. I killed off my NT01s and will try out AD052s at Round 5.

Aero is really tempting as well, Professional Awesome is really close to me and I like the package they did (and times) for Shawn K.

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion