Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I'm hoping to at least spectate for round 5. May try to get an HPDE pass if I can.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Springs: 100 N/mm front; 90 N/mm rear
I have adjustable white-line front and rear bars. I'll try stiffening the rear sway bar first because that's really easy to try. I killed off my NT01s and will try out AD052s at Round 5.

Aero is really tempting as well, Professional Awesome is really close to me and I like the package they did (and times) for Shawn K.
If I decide to take time attack seriously I would certainly make a trip to Professional Awesome for a splitter, diffuser, and canards and fenders package that maximizes what is allowed in Street Mod Class. There is still some grey area in the rules that I am trying to get clarified with regards to aftermarket bumpers like Voltex that add a huge integrated lip to the front that apparently doesn't count as a third areo bit for the front. The problem with simple rulesets is that they leave a lot of grey area.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I'm hoping to at least spectate for round 5. May try to get an HPDE pass if I can.
I'm probably 50/50. It isn't a good weekend for me to leave due to my 2nd job of owning a vacation rental property management business and the event is during the millennial "fall break" weekend where we have a lot of check ins.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by King Tut
I'm probably 50/50. It isn't a good weekend for me to leave due to my 2nd job of owning a vacation rental property management business and the event is during the millennial "fall break" weekend where we have a lot of check ins.
Let me know if you go. Would be nice to meet you and have another person to bull**** with for the weekend.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I decide to take time attack seriously I would certainly make a trip to Professional Awesome for a splitter, diffuser, and canards and fenders package that maximizes what is allowed in Street Mod Class. There is still some grey area in the rules that I am trying to get clarified with regards to aftermarket bumpers like Voltex that add a huge integrated lip to the front that apparently doesn't count as a third areo bit for the front. The problem with simple rulesets is that they leave a lot of grey area.
Currently in Gridlife it seems like the Street Mod class is really full of monster cars. Aero seems only lightly restricted and power levels are unrestricted. Trackmod really isn't well differentiated.

Conversely I rather appreciate the simplicity, especially because I really do it for fun and to challenge myself. Looking at SCCA rules it makes me happy to have simple rules to follow. In the future I'd like to venture into NASA events, especially as I enhance my driving skills. That rule-set seems manageable, but effective in fair competition.

Feel free to find me and my car at Round 5 if anyone on this thread comes out.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Currently in Gridlife it seems like the Street Mod class is really full of monster cars. Aero seems only lightly restricted and power levels are unrestricted. Trackmod really isn't well differentiated.

Conversely I rather appreciate the simplicity, especially because I really do it for fun and to challenge myself. Looking at SCCA rules it makes me happy to have simple rules to follow. In the future I'd like to venture into NASA events, especially as I enhance my driving skills. That rule-set seems manageable, but effective in fair competition.

Feel free to find me and my car at Round 5 if anyone on this thread comes out.
That's always what's kind of bugged me the most about street class. The biggest difference between street and track besides tire width is hvac and a radio. Hopefully they follow GTA next year and bump treadwear down to 80, or even better 60 for trackmod.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Trust me there are more differences than just tire width and a few street things. Look at Puglisi's aero package and look at mine. I would be in favor of removing all aero other than one item. Gotta run OEM fenders non vented. Gotta run an OEM front bumper unless that is your one aero item. Then you would have pretty stock looking street cars with only a wing primarily. Let the FWD guys run a splitter in the front instead. I still say that if you really want to find out if you are fast build your car to the limits of one of NASA's TT classes and run Hoosiers. I like TT4 because like Street Class it at least limits the aero so that you can't have huge 10" front splitters.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 07:29 PM
EvoM Guru

There really should be more efforts to cut down power in street as pretty much all the leading street cars are a good chunk faster than a lot of the track cars, regardless of aero packages. Shoving a $10k engine into a street car and making 600+whp kind of gives an unfair advantage over the most of the competitors in the class who don't have a huge budget. I feel the difference between track and unlimited is pretty good and street and enthusiast is pretty good but track and street are kind of muddled together. Parts of me wish track was toned down a bit in a way that left more of the expensive stuff in unlimited, they already do this with a lot of the uber expensive stuff but dogboxes ($5k minimum), 3 way adjustable coils ($8-10k), any section of the frame forward or backward of the strut towers can be modified or removed (hella time, and a good chunk of money), aero is pretty unrestricted except you can't have a flat bottom underside (and properly designed aero isn't cheap unless you have a cheap way to test it).

I guess what I'm saying is I wish classes were cutup by cost to compete a bit better. Ideally it'd be something like track being more setup for guys who have dedicated track cars and are willing to invest money into them but not at unreasonably high amounts. Going a step down from there would be street which is pretty much full interior, less aero, less power, single adjustable coils, limited on chassis stiffeners, etc. And below that would be enthusiast which is pretty much stock cars with some suspension work, mild tires, maybe a bolt on or two and a tune, etc. essentially a hot daily driver that can survive some track time.

Regardless I've got some irreversible stuff that means I can't bump down from track and I'm too poor to get into unlimited so I'll keep on making my car for track and see what I can do without breaking the bank

Agh, I forgot they renamed the classes this year. When I say street, I mean street mod. Street used to be enthusiast and street mod used to be street. What a stupid nomenclature for classes, smh.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
There really should be more efforts to cut down power in street as pretty much all the leading street cars are a good chunk faster than a lot of the track cars, regardless of aero packages. Shoving a $10k engine into a street car and making 600+whp kind of gives an unfair advantage over the most of the competitors in the class who don't have a huge budget. I feel the difference between track and unlimited is pretty good and street and enthusiast is pretty good but track and street are kind of muddled together. Parts of me wish track was toned down a bit in a way that left more of the expensive stuff in unlimited, they already do this with a lot of the uber expensive stuff but dogboxes ($5k minimum), 3 way adjustable coils ($8-10k), any section of the frame forward or backward of the strut towers can be modified or removed (hella time, and a good chunk of money), aero is pretty unrestricted except you can't have a flat bottom underside (and properly designed aero isn't cheap unless you have a cheap way to test it).

I guess what I'm saying is I wish classes were cutup by cost to compete a bit better. Ideally it'd be something like track being more setup for guys who have dedicated track cars and are willing to invest money into them but not at unreasonably high amounts. Going a step down from there would be street which is pretty much full interior, less aero, less power, single adjustable coils, limited on chassis stiffeners, etc. And below that would be enthusiast which is pretty much stock cars with some suspension work, mild tires, maybe a bolt on or two and a tune, etc. essentially a hot daily driver that can survive some track time.

Regardless I've got some irreversible stuff that means I can't bump down from track and I'm too poor to get into unlimited so I'll keep on making my car for track and see what I can do without breaking the bank

Agh, I forgot they renamed the classes this year. When I say street, I mean street mod. Street used to be enthusiast and street mod used to be street. What a stupid nomenclature for classes, smh.
That's the difference between Time Attack and NASA Time Trials. Time Attack is an expensive game when you make no efforts to limit horsepower. All you need to compete in NASA TT is to be at the weight : power ratio for your class and run Hoosier R7/A7s. It is a far cheaper way to compete. Having said that my car would still fit your Street Mod definition, and I was 3rd in Street Mod at Road Atlanta which is a power track only beaten by a supercharged E46 M3 and a 600 whp WRX. My car is nothing special. Now if you want to compete in Track Mod you need to be on the fastest widest tire which really is the Kumho 720 ACR. If you can't fit those than you need to be on some 315 width Rival S or whatever the widest RE71R or A052 is. You need a serious full aero package with a way larger than 5" front splitter. You need the power to overcome that serious of an aero package. I would want no less than 500 whp, but 600 whp would be better. You need a suspension that is setup for that kind of aero and power. It is no longer a street car at this point, it is a track car because your suspension and aero would be impossible to drive on the street without destroying it. You are going to want to go full lightness and remove everything. The only difference between a Track Mod and an Unlimited class car is Hoosier A7s and a full roll cage. I wouldn't even add a roll cage to a track mod car as it just adds weight.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
that's the difference between Time Attack and Time Trail. TA is more about the shop built cars, TT is more about the driver. that's why TT rules are generally more extensive when it comes to car mods. Although I dont agree on everything with nasa rules, i think it's the most fair when you have multiple platform with different drivers finishing within tenths or hundredths from each other.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I think there is some really wide-open rules in Street Mod that allows pretty significant modifications on the body (fenders in the name of tire clearance) as well as aero. I've been re-reading it and as was mentioned earlier, quite a bit of open interpretation.

Originally Posted by honda-guy
that's the difference between Time Attack and Time Trail. TA is more about the shop built cars, TT is more about the driver. that's why TT rules are generally more extensive when it comes to car mods. Although I dont agree on everything with nasa rules, i think it's the most fair when you have multiple platform with different drivers finishing within tenths or hundredths from each other.
This is an interesting perspective. I had not thought of it this way, but I believe you are on to something. I must say the "shop" cars are true marvels and show-pieces of over-the-top builds, and fun to see as an enthusiast. Conversely as a self-funded driver who wants to be competitive not only as a driver but with my Evo, I really see the TT as something I will want to pursue long term. Austin laid out some good points about the $s of TA which really hit home.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by honda-guy
That's the difference between Time Attack and NASA Time Trials. Time Attack is an expensive game when you make no efforts to limit horsepower. All you need to compete in NASA TT is to be at the weight : power ratio for your class and run Hoosier R7/A7s. It is a far cheaper way to compete. Having said that my car would still fit your Street Mod definition, and I was 3rd in Street Mod at Road Atlanta which is a power track only beaten by a supercharged E46 M3 and a 600 whp WRX. My car is nothing special. Now if you want to compete in Track Mod you need to be on the fastest widest tire which really is the Kumho 720 ACR. If you can't fit those than you need to be on some 315 width Rival S or whatever the widest RE71R or A052 is. You need a serious full aero package with a way larger than 5" front splitter. You need the power to overcome that serious of an aero package. I would want no less than 500 whp, but 600 whp would be better. You need a suspension that is setup for that kind of aero and power. It is no longer a street car at this point, it is a track car because your suspension and aero would be impossible to drive on the street without destroying it. You are going to want to go full lightness and remove everything. The only difference between a Track Mod and an Unlimited class car is Hoosier A7s and a full roll cage. I wouldn't even add a roll cage to a track mod car as it just adds weight.
Which is why I think it's kinda funny that Gridlife is touted as a "premiere grassroots" form of racing. But yes power is a given requirement once you get into track and it should be. It does bug me that they haven't ruled out ACR tires yet because they make them in two sizes and they're waay stickier than any 100tw options. You don't need ***** to the wall aero, the simple stuff makes the biggest difference. Gutting a car doesn't cost money but I wouldn't gut a car to the extent mine is without adding rollover protection. The difference between track and unlimited is huge. You can run a sequential trans, better tire compounds, the cost of fully done up triple way coils is multiple that of a good set of doubles, there's no restrictions on exhaust setups, there's pretty much no part of the car you can't modify except the wheelbase dimensions I'm pretty sure.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Here are a couple videos from Round 5. Yet another wet weekend. I enjoyed having a direct comparison between the RE71R vs the NT01, put together a data and video comparison from Round 2 and Round 5:

Old Oct 15, 2018, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

My Round 5 weekend didn't go as I had planned. I knew I was bringing a car more than capable of taking out the Street Mod AWD Track Record. Unfortunately, the car, weather, and driver let me down. I had developed an exhaust leak in my turbo manifold that meant I wasn't making the boost I was expecting. I didn't discover it till Sunday morning, and I decided not to drive the car in the driest session of the weekend. My best lap was in the drying conditions in the 2nd session on Saturday. I am not happy with my laps or my driving. I really needed another session in the dry to get my braking points and turn in points setup. I got to let my buddy Promo drive the Evo in one session as well. He was only slightly slower than my crappy laps in his first flyer. All my laps this weekend were on the A052s as my plan was to swap to the RE71Rs on Sunday. I ended up finishing in 3rd place with a 1:37.6 while the Street Mod AWD Track Record was reset by Shawn in his Evo with a 1:36.8 I believe. We were both running stock Evo 9 turbos that weekend. It's nice that less than a second separated the top 3. I have decided to compete for the championship in Street Mod next season, and I will be making some fairly large changes to the car in the off season to convert it from a NASA TT4 car to a full Gridlfe Street Mod car. Here are my best laps and some night laps:

The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (Oct 15, 2018)
Old Oct 15, 2018, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

I have decided to compete for the championship in Street Mod next season, and I will be making some fairly large changes to the car in the off season to convert it from a NASA TT4 car to a full Gridlfe Street Mod car. Here are my best laps and some night laps:
If everyone gets their **** together next year could be a really sweet year for evos. Charles in street, you and Shawn in street mod, me and Mike in track mod, Andy/RSMotors and Daniel/ProAwe in unlimited. Should make for one hell of an awesome/interesting year if everyone gets their cars done in time!

By the way your line really wasn't that bad. Wasn't really watching speed so can't speak for braking zones but it's not a lap I would be ashamed of by any means.

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion