Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
In Track Modified the two fastest tire options are the Viper ACR Kumho 720 and the Advan A052. The second level of tires are the RE71R Hoosierstones and the BFG Rival S. I wouldn't consider any other tire even though they allow 100TW tires they all suck compared to the 200TW battle that goes on thanks to Optima and the SCCA.
I'm interested in the Track Mod tires you listed:
Kumho 720 ACR - I only see these available in 19" diameters, and I assume are different than Kumho Ecsta V720s?
Advan A052 - @$315 per tire in 255-265 18", are you staying it is a better tire than the RE71R? For what reasons?

I think it's very interesting that the consensus is that the 200TW street tires have better grip and turn in than 100TW tires (RE71R). Therefore the Track Mod to Street Mod rules for Gridlife TA has no advantage other than width.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
I think it's very interesting that the consensus is that the 200TW street tires have better grip and turn in than 100TW tires (RE71R). Therefore the Track Mod to Street Mod rules for Gridlife TA has no advantage other than width.
It's for that exact reason that GTA bumped the Limited TW down to 80 so guys can run Hankook TDs. I was really hoping that Gridlife would have followed suit since there really isn't too much to differentiate street and limited cars.

The sticky 200 treadwear competitors have been coined super 200 tires by a lot of autox guys because they're so soft. Treadwear rating doesn't have any standards so it's not really the greatest indicator of how sticky a tire actually is. The biggest advantage that those 100tw options have over the super 200 tires is that they won't fall off during hard lapping sessions nearly as fast. For time attack though, since you're only doing a couple flying laps per session, the softer 200tw tires make a better option.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
For time attack though, since you're only doing a couple flying laps per session, the softer 200tw tires make a better option.
What is the format of a Gridlife Time-Attack Session? I haven't seen that discussed anywhere? For example... 20 minute sessions, followed by HPDE Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced, Drift, in a cycle on both days? I've never run with them so I'm not sure how to split up sessions, run groups, setup flying laps, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What is the format of a Gridlife Time-Attack Session? I haven't seen that discussed anywhere? For example... 20 minute sessions, followed by HPDE Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced, Drift, in a cycle on both days? I've never run with them so I'm not sure how to split up sessions, run groups, setup flying laps, etc.
You pretty much nailed it for the format. Grid based on best time of the weekend and normally there are more than one time attack session so you won't have super slow cars with Will Au-Yeung.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

You pretty much nailed it for the format. Grid based on best time of the weekend and normally there are more than one time attack session so you won't have super slow cars with Will Au-Yeung.
Ok, so more than 2 TA Groups/Sessions?

Within an assigned group/session, is it basically just an HPDE Advanced (open passing) except the starting order/grid is arranged? I'm trying to figure out if it's an advantage to have tires that heat up quick (and can overheat in a few laps) or tires that can go the full session (given traffic allows). Another way to think about it, how narrow or large is my window for full-pace? Therefore what tires are ideal for that?

A complete side note on rules for Track Battle (Track Modified):
4.4 "All vehicles must have fire suppression. (fire extinguisher mounted and accessible within driver's reach)"

What are you guys installing or have installed for fire? I was leaning towards mounting a hand extinguisher behind the e-brake (console removed). I can't reach passenger seat area mounts with harnesses.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

There's a handful of companies that sell good options that don't break the bank. I don't remember names off hand, I'll have to look it up again later.

I don't think the rules necessitate that you have to be able to reach it whilst strapped in. Everyone I know put their extinguisher right in front of the passenger seat (or where it would be) and that's where I'll be putting mine.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, so more than 2 TA Groups/Sessions?

Within an assigned group/session, is it basically just an HPDE Advanced (open passing) except the starting order/grid is arranged? I'm trying to figure out if it's an advantage to have tires that heat up quick (and can overheat in a few laps) or tires that can go the full session (given traffic allows). Another way to think about it, how narrow or large is my window for full-pace? Therefore what tires are ideal for that?

A complete side note on rules for Track Battle (Track Modified):
4.4 "All vehicles must have fire suppression. (fire extinguisher mounted and accessible within driver's reach)"

What are you guys installing or have installed for fire? I was leaning towards mounting a hand extinguisher behind the e-brake (console removed). I can't reach passenger seat area mounts with harnesses.
It's time attack man. Run whatever strategy you think will work for your car and tires. I can tell you the fast guys tend to do a flyer and a cool down and a flyer at most per session. The guys that aren't true Time Attackers will run the whole session though and you can run into traffic. My advice is save the tires for 2 flyers per session and make sure you get clean track by whatever method you deem to be best. I just wink at Adam and get my Gridlife annual tech sticker because I have my NASA annual tech already, and I have never had a fire extinguisher installed in my car. The extinguisher in the Evo mounts to the passenger seat front bolts similar to how OEMs like Porsche mount them. You remove your harnesses and then you grab the fire extinguisher or more likely you remove your harnesses jump out of your car and asses how on fire it is and then you decide if it is worth going in to grab the fire extinguisher.

Last edited by King Tut; Feb 28, 2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

It's time attack man. Run whatever strategy you think will work for your car and tires. I can tell you the fast guys tend to do a flyer and a cool down and a flyer at most per session. The guys that aren't true Time Attackers will run the whole session though and you can run into traffic. My advice is save the tires for 2 flyers per session and make sure you get clean track by whatever method you deem to be best. I just wink at Adam and get my Gridlife annual tech sticker because I have my NASA annual tech already, and I have never had a fire extinguisher installed in my car. The extinguisher in the Evo mounts to the passenger seat front bolts similar to how OEMs like Porsche mount them. You remove your harnesses and then you grab the fire extinguisher or more likely you remove your harnesses jump out of your car and asses how on fire it is and then you decide if it is worth going in to grab the fire extinguisher.
I'm stuck in indecision on NT01 and RE71R. I'm just not sure how much traffic, how slow/fast I'll be relative to others, what the right strategy for my driving abilities/style is.

Any links on fire extinguisher mounts?

Here is what I was looking at:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-firexmntdag
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250r/overview/
Old Mar 3, 2018, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like you have decided to run TrackMod. If so, a RE71R will yield a better lap time than a NT01. However The NT01's grip will last a bit longer in a session than the RE71R.

The fire extinguisher you linked is the one I run and should come with it's own bracket for mounting. i just mounted it center over the e-brake cable; however, it and can go anywhere along as it's in your reach .

I'm stuck in indecision on NT01 and RE71R. I'm just not sure how much traffic, how slow/fast I'll be relative to others, what the right strategy for my driving abilities/style is.

Any links on fire extinguisher mounts?

Here is what I was looking at:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-firexmntdag
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250r/overview/
Old Mar 3, 2018, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdboosted
It sounds like you have decided to run TrackMod. If so, a RE71R will yield a better lap time than a NT01. However The NT01's grip will last a bit longer in a session than the RE71R.

The fire extinguisher you linked is the one I run and should come with it's own bracket for mounting. i just mounted it center over the e-brake cable; however, it and can go anywhere along as it's in your reach .
I'm probably going to do the NT01 so I can get more seat time, considering I expect to be nowhere near competitive in my class.

On the fire extinguisher, I don't see any bracket listed on the extinguisher description. H3R definitely has separate mounts available for sale, I'd think they'd want you to buy separate. In terms of rating's... B & C with non corrosive "Halgaurd" seemed appropriate for racing. Anybody here using the ABC? Do some racing organizations require specific ratings?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

TrackBattle Round 1 - Entry List
Old Mar 13, 2018, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'm still not showing up for the South festival event, but I registered as an instructor. Most times I don't show up on the lists, so you can assume there are probably even more drivers than listed. Already 95 cars registered for the South Festival in August.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

I bought the H3R Halguard and used the included bracket. It fit nicely within reach even with my harness in place. I think I'm ready for tech.

Old May 24, 2018, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Bumping this thread back up. I attended the very wet (and slow) Round 1. Was happy that there weren't any major wrecks/incidents considering track conditions. Definitely earned a lot of respect for the guys who really worked on times in the wet.

Gridlife Midwest Festival is coming up soon!

Curious who all is attending? I'll be out for TA yet again. Anyone on EvoM joining?
Old May 24, 2018, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

I'll at least be there to spectate since I live barely more than an hour away. Still trying to find someone selling an HPDE pass.

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion