Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Old May 24, 2018, 04:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I had RS3v2s on and old car and loved them, although that was only autox but I've heard they're good track tires and I've also heard the RS4 was an improvement.
I ran stock-sized R-S4s at Laguna Seca and could not have asked for more out them. Lap after lap, they just gripped. I'll be sticking with them unless I decide to jump back to the NT-01.

**edit: I ran R-S3 v1 when they first came out and loved them. What a great tire. I'd also say the R-S4 is an improvement. I'm sold.

Last edited by kaj; May 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (May 24, 2018)
Old May 30, 2018, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I ran stock-sized R-S4s at Laguna Seca and could not have asked for more out them. Lap after lap, they just gripped. I'll be sticking with them unless I decide to jump back to the NT-01.
interesting, i was not a fan of the RS4s I've got right now.. but i think the set up is too narrow
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it was another wet Gridlife. But there still were a few dry sessions. I had a blast, this was the first Midwest festival I have attended. I couldn't believe how packed Gingerman raceway was! The weather didn't seem to deter anyone except for Sunday afternoon. So many very fast cars and drivers, the bracket battle was a good twist and was fun to watch. Seemed like there were a few hiccups with the first few brackets as people learned the format, but after that it was very cool. Drift was a pleasant surprise, I expected to find it uninteresting, but really enjoyed watching it. The way they threw the cars off track without a care in the world was pretty amusing as well.

Here is a couple laps from the event. My fastest the camera cut out. Overall I was very humbled by the competition who managed much faster times. I have a lot to learn.

I also wanted to observe the oil pressure in right handers... I see it dropping below 40psi momentarily in right handers, so I'm going to likely add Accusump before the next event. You can see it on the large digital readout on the left in the video.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Well it was another wet Gridlife. But there still were a few dry sessions. I had a blast, this was the first Midwest festival I have attended. I couldn't believe how packed Gingerman raceway was! The weather didn't seem to deter anyone except for Sunday afternoon. So many very fast cars and drivers, the bracket battle was a good twist and was fun to watch. Seemed like there were a few hiccups with the first few brackets as people learned the format, but after that it was very cool. Drift was a pleasant surprise, I expected to find it uninteresting, but really enjoyed watching it. The way they threw the cars off track without a care in the world was pretty amusing as well.

Here is a couple laps from the event. My fastest the camera cut out. Overall I was very humbled by the competition who managed much faster times. I have a lot to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXoLTYm-oY

I also wanted to observe the oil pressure in right handers... I see it dropping below 40psi momentarily in right handers, so I'm going to likely add Accusump before the next event. You can see it on the large digital readout on the left in the video.
Do you have any oil pressure data to compare from previous days? Which corners were you seeing the most drop at? Your line seems pretty solid, though you might be able to pick up a bit of time turning into 3 later, and staying a bit more right on the carousel between 7 and 8 which gives you a better approach at 8.

Think I saw your car while walking through the paddock, grey with a gold/bronze roll bar? Was gonna stop by for a chat to see how you were doing but you seemed busy haha.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have any oil pressure data to compare from previous days? Which corners were you seeing the most drop at? Your line seems pretty solid, though you might be able to pick up a bit of time turning into 3 later, and staying a bit more right on the carousel between 7 and 8 which gives you a better approach at 8.

Think I saw your car while walking through the paddock, grey with a gold/bronze roll bar? Was gonna stop by for a chat to see how you were doing but you seemed busy haha.
Yes. My car is grey with matte gold RPF1s and roll bar. We had to park our camper way off in the woods behind the vendors so I didn't hang much by the car. Next time don't feel weird about saying hi!

Oil Pressure wise... I really just have the video. I haven't setup something to log it digitally while on track. I can do it with a laptop. To me it looks worst just after the apex when I'm on throttle, never dips below 30psi, but seems to average around 40psi for a not insignificant amount of time. Compared to the 70-80psi I get in left hand turns.

If you watch the Youtube video in HD:
Turn 2 - 1m30s~40 psi
Turn 3 - 1m48s~38 psi
Turn 10 - 52s & 2m40s~40 psi

Last edited by dave_evolvix; Jun 12, 2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Youtube links not starting at specified times
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. My car is grey with matte gold RPF1s and roll bar. We had to park our camper way off in the woods behind the vendors so I didn't hang much by the car. Next time don't feel weird about saying hi!

Oil Pressure wise... I really just have the video. I haven't setup something to log it digitally while on track. I can do it with a laptop. To me it looks worst just after the apex when I'm on throttle, never dips below 30psi, but seems to average around 40psi for a not insignificant amount of time. Compared to the 70-80psi I get in left hand turns.

Turn 2 - 1m30s~40 psi
Turn 3 - 1m48s~38 psi
what's your oil setup?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
what's your oil setup?
Bone stock, 5W30 Mobile 1 as well. I recently added the oil pressure, temp sensors for this season, with the goal of seeing if I had an issue that I should address. Gridlife round 1 and a test session I did at ABCC were both too wet to generate enough grip to see this oil pressure drop. I didn't want to go buying oil pans, scrapers, accusumps, etc etc without collecting the data.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Turn 2 - 1m30s~40 psi
Turn 3 - 1m48s~38 psi
Haha yea I'll definitely stop and introduce myself next time! I may be at round 3 as I've got a few friends driving there and I'm also debating going to the event they've got at Blackhawk.

Your oil pressure won't get better but it seems like you're already on the ball by getting an accusump. A kiggly regulator would also be a good idea, takes 10 mins to install and only costs like $100. What tires are you on?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Bone stock, 5W30 Mobile 1 as well. I recently added the oil pressure, temp sensors for this season, with the goal of seeing if I had an issue that I should address. Gridlife round 1 and a test session I did at ABCC were both too wet to generate enough grip to see this oil pressure drop. I didn't want to go buying oil pans, scrapers, accusumps, etc etc without collecting the data.
oh gotcha. yea I went pretty hard, scraper kiggly and racefab. don't plan on adding an accusump, but I figure i'll nip the problem in the bud first, rather than it inflicting itself and then dealing with it. all good here. i'll be running scca pdx on 7/7 @ autobahn, the full course!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Haha yea I'll definitely stop and introduce myself next time! I may be at round 3 as I've got a few friends driving there and I'm also debating going to the event they've got at Blackhawk.

Your oil pressure won't get better but it seems like you're already on the ball by getting an accusump. A kiggly regulator would also be a good idea, takes 10 mins to install and only costs like $100. What tires are you on?
275 NT01s.

I want to try one thing at a time for this oil thing. Not looking to throw the kitchen sink at it and claim victory. My research to date indicates the AccuSump might have the biggest impact. But may not fully correct the issue.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

275 NT01s.

I want to try one thing at a time for this oil thing. Not looking to throw the kitchen sink at it and claim victory. My research to date indicates the AccuSump might have the biggest impact. But may not fully correct the issue.
though that's what i did i understand your approach, just pointing out that you don't particularly want to wait until it fails before deciding to do something about it.

one thing that strayed my away from the accusump was that someone pointed out to me that when your engine needs it and it sends oil, it's going to send cold/non operating temp oil. i didn't feel particularly comfortable with that idea either, depending on outside temps it's not going to be that great is it? happy with my setup but looking forward to your progression on this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 05:48 PM
EvoM Guru

As long as you're on a wet sump you're going to need all the help you can get for oiling safety, especially considering how sticky of a tire you're running. An accusump and a better designed pan are definitely the two best upgrades you can do with that said.

As to accusumps putting in colder oil, colder oil is better than air so I see no harm in using an accusump whatsoever. My biggest complaint with an accusump is adding the weight but I'd rather add a few pounds than build another engine.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

for me i'm on 200tw anyway but yea for 275 nt01s..
Old Jun 13, 2018, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pretty good weekend for Evos with Michael taking the win in Track Modified. Wish I could have been there as I think I had a shot in Street Modified.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd bump up to a thicker oil if you plan on doing multiple laps, and esp on hotter weekends. We run 0-40 on our street cars and 5-50 on track cars. We've noticed a big drop in average oil pressures after the first 2 laps when we use to run thinner oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion