Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
That was kind of the price I was expecting to hear. Liberty does make some very nice stuff though and they're just a few hours away from me on the other side of the state.

I think I'll probably just send my gears to them to get faceplated when the time comes to refresh the trans. Faceplating the stock gears saves a pretty big penny over a full dogbox.
but then you're still stuck with weak gears.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
but then you're still stuck with weak gears.
Yea, my build is pretty basic though and only makes 400whp/400wtq so I shouldn't have an issue with breaking gears if I can keep the trans cool enough. For guys making real power it's definitely worth it to move to straight cut dogs.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yea, my build is pretty basic though and only makes 400whp/400wtq so I shouldn't have an issue with breaking gears if I can keep the trans cool enough. For guys making real power it's definitely worth it to move to straight cut dogs.
look into the PAR 1.0 straight cut 4th gear.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
look into the PAR 1.0 straight cut 4th gear.
Well they sell 1-4 for $4k so I'd assume that just buying 4th would be ~$1k (plus shipping?). I heard Liberty will face plate a gearset for ~$2k. I'm interested in the faceplating because it will allow for faster shifts like a dog box without the big expense. The downside is having to retain factory gears.

I was planning to get a TRE trans cooler plate at some point to help the trans (especially 4th). As far as I know my trans is still the original with 105k on it and been tracked for the past 7 years now so I'll definitely need to freshen it up sooner than later.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
no its less than $1k and ts realistically all you need. have tre set up a box with the straight cut 4th and maybe even the syncrotec carbon syncros and youll be good to go. if your not running ground pounding power like Andy is you really dont need anymore than that. the 1.0 4th will remove actual shifts per lap which is more beneficial than trying to increase actual shift speed at the level your car is IMHO.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
no its less than $1k and ts realistically all you need. have tre set up a box with the straight cut 4th and maybe even the syncrotec carbon syncros and youll be good to go. if your not running ground pounding power like Andy is you really dont need anymore than that. the 1.0 4th will remove actual shifts per lap which is more beneficial than trying to increase actual shift speed at the level your car is IMHO.
Yea the longer gearing would definitely be nice. If it's under a grand then that's a pretty good price. I was already planning to go to TRE since they're somewhat local, just a couple hours away. I haven't seen enough good reviews of the carbon synchros to think they'd be worth upgrading to.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 05:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Should be quite a show this year for the RS Evo's. Andy, Brandon, and Shane all have some serious cars coming. We were at the FIRM on Saturday, silly knock sensor had us down on power, but still managed to knock 5 1/2 seconds off our previous best time there.

Andy, good on you to stay away from the concerts and what happens afterwards. Oh the stories I have with Ronnie/Brandon/Shane/the wives and all that went on. Ah the memories!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

That's actually the perfect scenario to kill 4th. Quick power ramp will kill 4th. The PAR 4th is a perfect option. Stronger and longer 4th gear.

I'd highly not recommend a dogbox/faceplate if the car is still a street car. not enjoyable at all to drive and you can prematurely wear dogs.

Par 4th w/carbon syncros and a 4.11 FD is the perfect trans.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolTweetyBird
Should be quite a show this year for the RS Evo's. Andy, Brandon, and Shane all have some serious cars coming. We were at the FIRM on Saturday, silly knock sensor had us down on power, but still managed to knock 5 1/2 seconds off our previous best time there.

Andy, good on you to stay away from the concerts and what happens afterwards. Oh the stories I have with Ronnie/Brandon/Shane/the wives and all that went on. Ah the memories!
Should be a good time. I'd love to hit up the concert stuff and check it out, but Ron has us working all through the night, looking over the car, data, studying the driver mistakes. He's so hard on us sometimes.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
That's actually the perfect scenario to kill 4th. Quick power ramp will kill 4th. The PAR 4th is a perfect option. Stronger and longer 4th gear.

I'd highly not recommend a dogbox/faceplate if the car is still a street car. not enjoyable at all to drive and you can prematurely wear dogs.

Par 4th w/carbon syncros and a 4.11 FD is the perfect trans.
I looked into it a bit and saw a couple of you RS guys killed a few on stock turbos so I see your point haha. I'm on a CBRD 3B turbo so it doesn't hit quite as hard as a stock turbo but the torque is fairly flat from 3500 to redline.

How long did it take you to get the gear from Australia? And how do you like the carbon synchros? Do they make any difference on shift feel? Did you move to a GL5 fluid since there's no more brass in the trans?

The car isn't a daily but I do take it out now and then to make sure it's still ticking properly. I've driven a dogbox before and yea it's not the most pleasurable thing to drive on the street but once you learn the trans you can double clutch it pretty easily without making the dogs unhappy.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So my car isn't street mod legal due to the Gurney flap on the wing being higher than the roof line. Abrin's suggestion was to drill new holes on my stands and mount the wing lower. Not sure that is worth it for one event. I wish they just conformed to NASA's wing height rules. At least I will get to run my diffuser.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 07:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
So my car isn't street mod legal due to the Gurney flap on the wing being higher than the roof line. Abrin's suggestion was to drill new holes on my stands and mount the wing lower. Not sure that is worth it for one event. I wish they just conformed to NASA's wing height rules. At least I will get to run my diffuser.
Is that SCCA SM rules or a different rule set? SCCA SM is 6" above roofline FWIW
Old Feb 9, 2018, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Is that SCCA SM rules or a different rule set? SCCA SM is 6" above roofline FWIW
Gridlife plays by it's own rules. Link earlier in the thread
Old Feb 9, 2018, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
one thing that gridlife does to cater to the jdm guys - jdm/eudm body parts are legal in the lowest/street class. jdm rear bumpers for all! without going into street mod!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
jdm rear bumpers for all! without going into street mod!
Lol, JDM bumpers technically not legal in SCCA SM because the factory crash beam doesnt fit with just a 1lb rule trim.

Quick Reply: Gridlife Trackbattle 2018 Discussion