Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Oil Pressure drop right hander question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Read the despriction of what I posted on the Unit 2 pan. They're seeing over 2Gs of lateral acceleration with no pressure loss. That car also sees 3Gs under braking. If you search their page I remember them posting data traces of pressure, it's impressive.

I don't understand where this mentality came from that the only thing that works is a dry sump. There's lots of very fast platforms that run on wet sumps without issues.

Real race cars use dry sumps because their engines have to breathe through restrictors so if moving to a dry sump gains them 3-5 horsepower by being able to pull a vacuum on the crankcase, that's a huge advantage.

For average joes like us, we don't need to worry about that, we just need to keep the oil from getting aerated and to be able to keep enough around the pickup at all times, something that's very doable on a properly engineered wet sump.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Well I just posted in the maperformance input thread that's in the Evo General section about wanting a product(oil pan) like they're making for the Evo X. You guys who are also interested should do the same.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-input-5.html
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I don't think the baffled pans are a bandaid. They do have a limit, just like the stock pan works fine on a stock car, the upgraded pans currently available don't really work for big tire/aero.

Dry sumps are fairly trouble free. At most they run ~150psi so they aren't even close to taxing the AN hoses and fittings that are capable of operating at north of 400psi, so they don't blow hoses apart ever unless someone assemble one wrong. But you can test those before they go in the car so it's not a huge deal. The cog belt doesn't just fall off unless it gets kicked off by a rock or debris, so sealing the engine bay with an undertray and side panels is a good idea. Other wise the pump itself could fail, but so can the stock oil pump so that point is moot.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
dry sumps are literally set and forget. i havnt had to do a single thing to mine.

Like mentioned anything but a drysump is a bandaid tbh. its not the lack of baffles in the sump that cause the oiling issues. its kind of like if ur motor has **** compression so u go and bolt a bigger turbo onto it to compensate. rather than just fixing the lack of compression.

I wouldnt bother with the racefab pan. its well overpriced for what ur getting. take pictures to a decent stateside fabricator and he can build you the exact same thing in a couple days for fraction of the price. literally just fold up a box. cut the bottom off the pan and weld in a diamond shaped insert with some door hinges from the hardware store in it. then weld it to the pan. adding the box gives u a volume increase too.

But if youve got a built motor etc its worth protecting that investment with a drysump imo. unless its a street car in which i understand it becomes a hastle with the tank etc.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
question is... what would be considered "affordable" dry sump solution?...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

There's not. A cheap dry sump is $4k all said and done.

Again, I don't understand why so many people are hung up on dry sump kits. A properly built wet sump works just fine, the problem is we don't have any current options for a proper wet sump.

We already know dry sumps work, but they're expensive, take up space, add more maintenance items, and requires even further modification of your car. Why wouldn't people want a drop in solution that fixes pressure drop issues that can be had for under $1000?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The "proper" wet sump you're referring to requires rerouting the exhaust and doesn't work with AC in order to move the sump and pick up to the center of the engine.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The "proper" wet sump you're referring to requires rerouting the exhaust and doesn't work with AC in order to move the sump and pick up to the center of the engine.
Which alternative pan doesn't work with A/C? Racefab?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

You're thinking of what Zach did with his pan. I'm pretty sure of a way that keeps AC and not have to modify the exhaust.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 01:02 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
There's not. A cheap dry sump is $4k all said and done.

Again, I don't understand why so many people are hung up on dry sump kits. A properly built wet sump works just fine, the problem is we don't have any current options for a proper wet sump.

We already know dry sumps work, but they're expensive, take up space, add more maintenance items, and requires even further modification of your car. Why wouldn't people want a drop in solution that fixes pressure drop issues that can be had for under $1000?
Which wet pan is that? (the "Honda" ll trap door pan?)

I already have one of Kaj's pans, and I doubt I'll get to a level that it becomes an issue,
but what is the next step up from that and what is so much better about it?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by OX
Which wet pan is that? (the "Honda" ll trap door pan?)

I already have one of Kaj's pans, and I doubt I'll get to a level that it becomes an issue,
but what is the next step up from that and what is so much better about it?
Yes.

Most guys will be fine with the chopped stock pans as long as they're not running fat tires or anything like a Hoosier. The next step up from a chopped stock pan is a pan with better baffling and is able to return oil to the aump area where the pickup sits.

Maybe I should mark up some photos to give a clear understanding of what the inherent issue is so everyone can be on the same page.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yes.

Most guys will be fine with the chopped stock pans as long as they're not running fat tires or anything like a Hoosier. The next step up from a chopped stock pan is a pan with better baffling and is able to return oil to the aump area where the pickup sits.

Maybe I should mark up some photos to give a clear understanding of what the inherent issue is so everyone can be on the same page.
you cant make a pan that returns the oil to the pickup in a right hand corner... it is just physics.. all the oil ends up on the flywheel side of the engine.. 1 G right hander is the equivalent of tilting the engine 45 deg... Trap doors keep the oil contained a bit but the oil pump will suck something like 0.5 litres per sec at high RPM.. so that is gone soon too.... Probably the biggest benefit of modified pans is enlarged capacity...

I was working on something similar..
Attachment 324293
Attachment 324294
Attachment 324295
even wanted to do a electric pump for oil transfer in right handers..
Attachment 324027
Old Apr 24, 2019, 02:37 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes.

I'd like to see some pics or explanation of that pans guts and why more trap doors gets oil back to where you want it.

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
you cant make a pan that returns the oil to the pickup in a right hand corner... it is just physics.. all the oil ends up on the flywheel side of the engine.. 1 G right hander is the equivalent of tilting the engine 45 deg... Trap doors keep the oil contained a bit but the oil pump will suck something like 0.5 litres per sec at high RPM.. so that is gone soon too.... Probably the biggest benefit of modified pans is enlarged capacity...

I was working on something similar..

even wanted to do a electric pump for oil transfer in right handers..
I like the idea of going "up". That pan still fit with AC and everything else? Haven't put mine in yet, but
looking around under there today makes me think the modded stock pans could get even a bit more
capacity.

Any reason no one ever put a wall with 2 trap doors cutting off shallow part of pan?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 04:48 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
So it's $595.53(not including shipping your item out to them) if you ship your pan.
$926 if you use their new factory sump/oil pan.
Holy crap. And I felt bad about charging $550

Originally Posted by OX
What does moving the sump do? Don't see that much difference between Kaj's pan and Racefab?
Racefab moves the pickup farther towards the left side of the pan. Matt and I couldn't see an advantage. Especially enough to offset in case someone needed to replace it. We didn't want people stuck with a pan they couldn't use because something happened to their bespoke pick up. I'm sure, technically, it helps. We just couldn't see that it helped enough to matter. So far, none of us have had an issue with the pickup being in the OEM location. So, it's preference, I guess.

Why pay $1000 for a chopped up stock pan when we can potentially get a brand new aluminum pan from MAP that actually returns oil to the sump for considerably less money??

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...il-pan-v2.html
Because nobody has been able to make a pan that seals to the block as well as OEM. That is 100% why I told Matt to keep our pans as OEM as possible, in that regard. I'm sure that's why RaceFab does the same. LOL "chopped up". Like it's hacked or something

Originally Posted by kyoo
isn't everything but a dry sump a "bandaid"
I'd say. These pans let us go faster than a stock pan. I built my car around the limitation, which is far better than stock. For me: Can I throw on some Hoosiers and pull race car Gs? No. If I decide to be at that level, then I'll look into a dry sump. Will a "chopped up" stock pan allow me to turn much faster lap times? Heck yes. Does the extra 2.5+ quarts help? Absolutely. I don't miss seeing my temp gauge trying to climp up to 300*
We just can't have too high of expectations of a wet sump pan. It can only do "so much", IMO.

FWIW: I talked to Matt the other day and forwarded the "thanks" from everyone and let him know how much the work was appreciated. He said, "Well, we learned a lot... next time.... ". I won't say what he said after... but I may be able to talk him into another run.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OX
I'd like to see some pics or explanation of that pans guts and why more trap doors gets oil back to where you want it.

I like the idea of going "up". That pan still fit with AC and everything else? Haven't put mine in yet, but
looking around under there today makes me think the modded stock pans could get even a bit more
capacity.

Any reason no one ever put a wall with 2 trap doors cutting off shallow part of pan?
yeah, it did fit with AC. That was the idea. It did have the trap door from the oil pick up compartment toward the shallow section.
Oil Pressure drop right hander question-qjsbdks.jpg

One of the things I was looking into was how to shut that hole above the oil pick up while keeping it easy to install.. But that whole project is now stopped in favor of a dry sump... (not saying that there is no benefit in a good wet sump..)