Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Clutch Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
109k miles and 6 years on my HDSS, and like Kevin said, many, many track days on it.
Originally Posted by Kracka
^That's insane.
That is the kind of longevity I am talking about! I know you drive the **** out of your car as well, so that says a lot.

Thanks guys, I am getting pricing from MAP on all the goodies. I am looking at the HDSS+MAP flywheel and Buschur diff pins. Unless the pricing is terribly different I may consider the 6 puck.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The HDG6 (sprung 6-puck) should be cheaper than the HDSS (full face street disc).

Are any X guys running the ACT HD pressure plates having issues with the stock CMC?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't had any problems yet with mine. ACT HDG6 with the AMS ring on the stock CMC. I think Richard and Josh are both running the exact same setup. I love this clutch. I was also going to go with HDSS but Josh and Richard talked me into the HDG6 and I'm happy they did. After 500miles it felt like stock. The pedal feel is a tiny bit heavier that stock so no real change there. The engagement during the first 500miles is a little weird, but I promise after that you will never tell the difference...... until you launch it. It grabs so hard and fast it's amazing.

Jose I can swing by sometime and let you try it out and see what you think? If you don't like the engagment of the 6 puck then I'd say the HDSS is the way to go.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

I went through the stock clutch quick as could be... Course I started mods with less than 2k miles on the car ... But I have had an exedy stage 4 and stage 2 back to stage 4 ... The same stage 4 as before but that is a different story ... Anyways ... I have been pleased with both ... I went from a stage 4 to the stage 2 for reasons to long to explain ... But the stage 2 lasted a pretty long time maybe 30k miles and that's with track days ... Street playing and daily driving ... I had to go back to the stage 4 ( one from before because I still had it in my garage with the flywheel ) when I dropped in my cosworth 272 Cams it started slipping and I launched that bad boy and warped the pressure plate ... Reason being is because I had the stage 2 for so long it was I guess unable to handle the increase from the Cams...which IMO is understandable .. now the stage 4 cerametalic six puc twin disc and flywheel are in and it runs sooooo sweet and holding up great.. that's with about 6 full out launches at EVADALE race track and some street playing it still runs like a champ ... I love it and would always stick with exedy only because I have had nothing but good results... Now I am about to get a tune from Mellon Racing and I will be able to say how much more this bad boy can take
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I think I am going with the HDG6, MAP has a good price on them. I was looking at the torque difference on the HDSS and HDG6, and the HDG6 had more than enough headroom, but with the HDSS I may exceed later with a bigger leaf blower.

The Fidanza flywheel looks nice, but damn it is light. Anyone have any experience with it? It is even lighter than the ACT Prolite.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have the hdg6 w/ the MAP flywheel - lightest one out there right now.

No issues driving, though I wouldn't want to be in traffic w/ it.

Also, w/ the hdg6 I really think you'll eat stock CMC's for breakfast, so factor in buying and paying $$/spending many many hours to install the magnus. The HDSS would probably be fine w/ the stock cmc and would hold what you've got w/o issue.

Not sure I'd get a map/fidanza flywheel for a road car, they're extremely light compared to stock, my rpms drop like a rock when I get on the clutch
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you say the HDG6 will be any harder on the stock CMC than the HDSS? They both use the same pressure plate.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

can't slip, thus you'll engage harsher, and be more likely to break the little plastic pos.
at least that's what I've read out there, I just upgraded the cmc to avoid the issue entirely
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I maybe had a freak master cylinder, but I didn't have any issues. Installed the 6 puck with ~10k. Sold the car with ~30k miles and no issues. I was expecting it though.

I had the streetlite [sic] flywheel, but it was the same weight as the stocker (maybe distributed differently).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
can't slip, thus you'll engage harsher, and be more likely to break the little plastic pos.
at least that's what I've read out there, I just upgraded the cmc to avoid the issue entirely
I've seen that mentioned/discussed on EXF too, but I just don't see the reasoning. The only stress a CMC sees is from a heavy pressure plate, how quickly or harshly a disc engages shouldn't affect it in any way. It's possible I'm thinking about it wrong though.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Why do you say the HDG6 will be any harder on the stock CMC than the HDSS? They both use the same pressure plate.
Yeah, that is what I read as well. Same pressure plate, and that is the only thing the CMC is used to overcome.