Notices

Towing upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing upgrades

I've loved my OS since I got it 4 years ago, and last year I added a hitch so I could tow an enclosed trailer with some PA equipment for my band. I rented a Uhaul 5x8 trailer which are pretty heavy (900lbs empty) and loaded it up with all our band equip and drove it 4.5 hours away for a gig. I got really terrible mileage, around 14mpg highway and the RPMs were constantly at 3k+ over 55mph.

I gave up on towing after that, although braking and handling seemed to be ok with all that weight, and just used the hitch for a bike rack. Now I have a few gigs coming up throughout the year that I will need a small trailer for so I bought a used 5x8 trailer and its significantly lighter than the uhaul ones (around 700lbs empty).

I haven't done much towing ever but just wondering if there are any suspension upgrades or small engine upgrades that would help get the OS to tow a little smoother.

People keep telling me that the hitch only receives about 10% of the weight of the trailer, so why would this be so hard to tow?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
In all honesty; the OS isn’t meant to tow anything and that’s also per the manual. My guess is the chassis isn’t meant to handle tons of weight. But I do see some OS owners who tow small items
Old Jan 17, 2018, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Our OS chassis can handle the tonnage (it's based off of the Outlander which can tow 1,500lb) BUT it's our transmission that's NOT up to par...

Here's the threads that shows what we've hauled before >
scroll down to to Post#45
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...r-sport-3.html

and
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...ll-w-pics.html

also check this thread out
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...cessories.html
Old Jan 17, 2018, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
We use my wifes OS to tow motorcycles quit a bit. We used to have an open light aluminum 5x8 trailer and the car did great. A enclosed 5x8 u haul trailer sucks regardless. They weight like 800 lbs empty!! I'd find something light and aluminum if possible.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:35 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pathosmusic
I've loved my OS since I got it 4 years ago, and last year I added a hitch so I could tow an enclosed trailer with some PA equipment for my band. I rented a Uhaul 5x8 trailer which are pretty heavy (900lbs empty) and loaded it up with all our band equip and drove it 4.5 hours away for a gig. I got really terrible mileage, around 14mpg highway and the RPMs were constantly at 3k+ over 55mph.

I gave up on towing after that, although braking and handling seemed to be ok with all that weight, and just used the hitch for a bike rack. Now I have a few gigs coming up throughout the year that I will need a small trailer for so I bought a used 5x8 trailer and its significantly lighter than the uhaul ones (around 700lbs empty).

I haven't done much towing ever but just wondering if there are any suspension upgrades or small engine upgrades that would help get the OS to tow a little smoother.
One thing I would probably look into is something like the CVT cooler that RRM makes (LINK). Yes, the OS has a factory CVT cooler, but this still may be worthwhile, as the CVT really is the most likely to be the weakest link.

Originally Posted by pathosmusic
People keep telling me that the hitch only receives about 10% of the weight of the trailer, so why would this be so hard to tow?
You're thinking tongue weight. The OS will still be dragging 800+ lbs behind it.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that one of the reasons Mitsu says that towing is not allowed with the OS/RVR is because of the warranty. If you look at places that Allow towing with this vehicle, they have a 5 year warranty instead of 10.