Notices

Radio Volume

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Radio Volume

The radio in my OS does not seem to be able to get very loud. I don't normally blast my radio but when one of my favorite songs comes on the radio while I am going down the freeway with the windows down, I can't hear it very loud over the wind. My 91 Chevy truck with a aftermarket radio and stock speakers can get loud enough to hear very well over the highway wind and chambered muffler that dumps under the truck (aka loud). Are the OEM radio and/or speakers output limited by internal programing of some sort or is that just the way they were made? TIA!!!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
In a nutshell the stock system sucks lol
Old Feb 21, 2018, 01:56 PM

LOL!!! That is what I was thinking but I figured there was a chance that there might be a safety setting somewhere to limit volume. I want to upgrade to a nice 3 or 4 way speaker anyway because I can hear the OEM ones overdriving and breaking up if I have the bass and mid turned up past +2 or 3 and my car does not have the door tweeters just holes to nowhere.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tardisguy
I want to upgrade to a nice 3 or 4 way speaker anyway because I can hear the OEM ones overdriving and breaking up if I have the bass and mid turned up past +2 or 3 and my car does not have the door tweeters just holes to nowhere.
that's probably the amp in the headunit distorting because its reached its power rating and clips.

probably not the speakers breaking up, unless they are REALLY crappy. lol

if you have a base model stereo, you might want to replace the headunit, too. you can get a nice HU with better audio quality than stock for fairly cheap.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My OS SE sounded decent when i purchased it 2 weeks ago, however last week i upgraded the head unit because it looks outdated, and i'm only able to connect via bluetooth. I added a pioneer 2300NEX, Morel Hybrid 602's, and Arc Audio XDI 600.4. i'm thinking to get a minidsp and fine tune so i can ditch the crossover and go active. Rear fills are cheap kenwoods and i'll probably make a custom enclosure for a sundown sub or a jlw3v3.
Old May 8, 2018, 08:31 AM

OK another question. Are there two different basic radios. Mine does not have SAT radio and I would like to have it. Is all the stuff in the radio and just needs to be enabled or is the radio different.
Old May 8, 2018, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tardisguy
OK another question. Are there two different basic radios. Mine does not have SAT radio and I would like to have it. Is all the stuff in the radio and just needs to be enabled or is the radio different.
Everything should be enabled once you leave the dealership. Your going to have to add the satellite radio via a standalone unit, or get an aftermarket radio that has built in satellite and add the SXV module (hidden).