Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Wheatley's 6262 build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheatley's 6262 build-(now with 2.4LR starting page 25)

I figure its that time of year again where its time to post the build thread, Im a little behind on posting so its going to be two months of pics. First I want to go over what happened last season.Quick recap

*Sold fatfab 35r kit bought Fathouses 6262 kit

*destroyed old transmission and rebuilt transmission

*Floated valves so I sent the head to Headgames and had kiggly springs and a mild valve job. The head was then put on and taken off 3 more times until the issues with the machine work were resolved. Headgames covered all the cost but was down for over a 5 weeks. Dave was great at making sure I knew what was going on and worked very hard at having good communication.

Finally got a day off work to go race. Made 10 passes 6 on street tires (big mistake) 4 on qtp. (amazing) but the damage was already done. Twisted a brand new output shaft and had some other damage. It was still drivable but was crunching into 3rd. I removed the trans in Sept and it has been in Ohio ever since waiting on me to make my mind up.

Current plans are to keep a 6262 on the car but switch to an oil only cooled ceramic bearing forward facing Fatfab kit. Engine is staying the same, it currently has 2 seasons on the AMS block. Trans will stay a synchro box but I will be trying everything possible to keep it alive.

The car is also getting full safety equipment to be nhra legal into the 9s even if it doesn't get there. In the mean time I am having the bay repainted and trying to clean up the bay wiring.

Started late November 2010

I ordered a mishimoto radiator for a civic to replace my full length custom saldana setup. This should clear up a ton of room and allow for the forward facing setup.

I also decided to change my gauges. Before I had the wideband on the steering column, a serial gauge and two stewart warner gauges where the radio used to be. I have decided I want to see my cluster in full again and move everything over to the radio area. I just want a more factory like appearance. The oil pressure gauge from aem is all I bought to clean this up. I will use the serial gauge for coolant, boost etc. But I still want to independently see afrs and oil pressure.

Dec/12/2010

Got the car back on the ground this weekend. Saturday night Aaron and my buddy Travis came over and gave me a hand tearing down the car. I worked on the interior and they had most of the bay and front end torn down within an hour or so. I still have to finish removing all the wiring and brake lines but its getting there. The interior is a little farther along than these pics. Its down to the seats and heater box. Im hoping over the next two weeks to have it completely stripped and ready for the cage and engine bay respray. I also ordered some more parts

Awd motorsports spec D2 coilovers.

New rear rotors arrived. I haven't had to do anything with the brakes other than front pads since Ive owned the car. The rear pads are about shot so I decided it was a good time to go all out on the rear while still retaining the rear e brake. Most of the drag kits all delete the e-brake. With this still being a street car this is the next best alternative in my opinion

I ordered a new valve cover. This is for an evo 9 so Im just going to shave the mivec turbo letters and powder coat it black. As well as drill and tap it for a catch can that I ordered tonight.

Current pics of engine and bay harness. Its just about ready to be cut up and measured for final lenght and placement of milspec connector. I will probably order the crimps and connectors after the holidays.

Junk removed so far, still have about 30 wires 4 ft in length to remove from whats left of the abs

12/30/2010

Stm overflow can that mounts to the lower part of the core support and my catch can. Both gifts from Kiley.

Transmission is back in my possession.

Current status of the tear down. I want to get the fenders and sound deading off the car this weekend.

New QM to replace my old worn out QM, Thanks MAPerformance!!

1/16/2011

This weekends progress.

Freshly painted, semi tucked and shaved. I deleted the abs last year and for the time being plan on keeping the oem brake line on the fire wall. As you can probably see tons of brackets have been removed, holes welded shut and some PS relocation under the passenger side mount. The pump and resivor are just safety wired to the rack to keep them out of the way.

Damn that was long, thanks guys!

Last edited by Wheatley; Jun 25, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! that made allot of work look like it took no time at all! lol! giro ultralite?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice build i see its been doing the right way will you have this done for IA or the shootout ? did your car wheel hop alot with your street tires random but how big is your garage ?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:09 PM

nice clean work & great garage too...
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8
Nice! that made allot of work look like it took no time at all! lol! giro ultralite?
LOL, It really wasnt much time at all just a few hours on the weekends. The wiring I probably already have 20hrs in but that was in the house

Originally Posted by mrboost05
very nice build i see its been doing the right way will you have this done for IA or the shootout ? did your car wheel hop alot with your street tires random but how big is your garage ?
I was wanting it done for IA this year, at this time Im still 800 short for wiring work and ran into some snags in the short block. It did wheel hop very bad at the strip. It never had before but it was about 80+hp more than last year. I will never drag race it on the street tires again. My garage is 24x36 with a 12ft ceiling at the lowest. I built it a few years ago on the weekends with my father in-law

Originally Posted by skyway69
nice clean work & great garage too...
Thanks and its still a work in progress but I am trying to make it a nice workspace

Originally Posted by DormantBeast
nice work! I wish i had the knowledge to rip everything apart and put back together lol
Its only time and patience. The things that are specific I either try to label or put in a special container. Most things are very easy to put back together, its generally common sense.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Love all the progress you made so far and your garage is awesome!

Keep this updated, look forward to seeing more!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, Im hoping for more updates next weekend.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Win!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Progress looks awesome so far man...2011 should definitely be an interesting season...seems like there are a lot of builds going on...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

well done sir, cant wait to see it finished.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

The last of the parts I ordered are in. I think I have everything for the build not except the swingouts for the cage and the turbo and wastegate.

AWD motorsports driveshaft
Three Speed scattershield
driveshaft loop
Cleaned and ported intake manifold
speed element map adapter
silicone for the half radiator
all of the aluminum, stainless, bungs, clamps etc etc for the new Forward facing kit.

I was wanting to have started on the cage and turbo kit no later then next weekend but a few things came up. I have pics but will post them once I decide which route I want to go.

Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

looks good
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Looks great can't wait to see the finished product

Quick Reply: Wheatley's 6262 build