Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Rebuilding my VIII

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome
Old Jan 16, 2018, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
bump

How the car been treating you since, any updates?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Treating me well! About to have some updates!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated. Things have been pretty busy. We bought a house and moved last year. Work keep me busier than ever.

But, things haven't stopped progressing a little for the car.

I've been noticing the front suspension seems very darty lately. I pulled the tires and control arms to check the ball joints. Everything seemed nice and tight, but the big rear bushing on my passenger's side FCA didn't seem as smooth as the driver's. I'm considering replacing them with the SuperPro Duraball Kit to freshen and add a little caster. Also noticed that my tires are a bit worn. I'm sure that's not helping. So those are on the priority list.

Installed this today:
Rebuilding my VIII-u8gz7sp.jpg

I got it for a good price to install alongside this:
Rebuilding my VIII-dtjeela.jpg

Gruppe S flywheel. Sort of a long story with this one... I wasn't planning on going with a super light flywheel due to this car being a daily driver and seeing traffic during my morning commute... but I found it on eBay used for a great price. When I got it in I found that there were no dowel pins... I contacted the seller and he said that's how it was installed on his car for many years. I didn't feel comfortable with that. He actually refunded me all buy my shipping, which was very fair. I could tell there had once been pins. You could see a ring where they had been machined. I send it off to a shop. They were able to remove the pins, machine the flywheel, and then machine new pins for me. Ended up running me about $140. Still not a bad deal.

My Comp Stage 2 clutch is shot. I haven't been able to boost for a couple months. Instant slippage when I make boost. I've been hobbling along until I can get everything settled.

Flywheel is ready. I've also picked up a few parts:
Rebuilding my VIII-p7vbigv.jpg
Rebuilding my VIII-rd0rk89.jpg

Also have a brand new OEM slave cylinder, OEM throwout bearing, various gaskets and seals. The plan was to replace the transmission at the same time with a rebuilt, but it's not in the cards. That may have to happen this summer unless I catch a windfall soon.

Comp Stage 2 unsprung will be ordered soon. After that I'll pull the trans and get everything buttoned up.

Previous to that I recently upgraded to an Evo 9 cupholder for at least 10hp.. and it holds my coffee:
Rebuilding my VIII-fcrrtdq.jpg

And I installed a Milspec 65mm throttle body. I deleted the coolant lines:
Rebuilding my VIII-a4xluan.jpg

I port matched the manifold, but I have a manifold core that I'm going to some day finish shaving down and have Curt Brown port to installed. I'd like to install that and some new injectors this summer and get the car properly tuned.

That's it until I get the clutch in. Wish me luck!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Buy a couple of my parts so I can get this thing wrapped up!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...l#post11807618
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Bought an Evo 7 trans and transfer case! Here goes nothing!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Had a big weekend. Pulled everything out. Clutch was PAST toast. Couldn't get the TOB to release from the pressure plate. I had to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel through the clutch fork hole.

Seller backed out on the Evo VII trans and transfer case. He said they were both broken. I think he just regretted selling for such a good price.

Engine bay is mostly empty and my trans is heading to Jack's for a rebuild. Everything is getting cleaned and I'm addressing a few oil leaks. Hoping to also rebuild and paint my calipers and paint my headlight housings while the car is down! I'll try to get some pictures of the carnage up soon.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update with carnage pics!

Ready for work:
Name:  hrQ79oN.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  120.2 KB

Dropped the front subframe this time. Made things a LOT easier:
Name:  VhxTDbR.jpg
Size:  142.2 KB

Trans when I got her down. This is before I had to persuade the spring clip to let go:
Name:  EzhAMQo.jpg
Size:  153.2 KB

Old disc. Wonder why it wouldn't hold any torque:
Name:  3yQzvjz.jpg
Size:  89.1 KB

Trash pile:
Name:  jN9Dl0D.jpg
Size:  138.4 KB

Lots of space to work:
Name:  G34RURe.jpg
Size:  127.9 KB

Flywheel off. So nasty!
Name:  NtVJk2K.jpg
Size:  105.9 KB
Name:  dT6qL1q.jpg
Size:  160.7 KB

Made a trip to Home Depot to swap out my lifetime warranty torque wrenches. Ended up getting upgraded on everything. FYI, Home Depot will exchange Craftsman torque wrenches. Sears only honors a one year warranty, but seeing as they're the same as Husky, Home Depot will honor it. Very cool.
Name:  hAmWERp.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

I have a laundry list of things to do. Not sure if I'll get to them all. Hoping to clean up the front subframe and install some poly bushings in place of the 150k stockers. I'm hoping to replace the big control arm bushing on both sides as that'll be the only thing I have left up front that's stock.

I'll have the rotors turned, new pads, hopefully new lines and rebuilt/finished calipers. New tires need to happen. Several leaks to address on the car while I have some room to work. We'll see how far I can stretch my funds. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Got a little work done today. Pulled the oil pan and decided it was going to need some work. I believe the gasket maker had failed in the rear. That's gold reflective that is all over the oil pan as the RRE downpipe is really close.
Rebuilding my VIII-zoyzpvh.jpg

Used a 3M pad to clean it all off:
Rebuilding my VIII-eju3ypr.jpg

Primer and paint (I'm not much of a painter, but it'd definitely better):
Rebuilding my VIII-zkuxyfh.jpg
Rebuilding my VIII-cr448wo.jpg

Pulled the turbo to replace the exhaust gasket and clean:
Rebuilding my VIII-qes2oin.jpg
Rebuilding my VIII-i7g4khu.jpg

Lots more to do, but I made some good progress today. Have a couple random parts on order that I can put on next weekend.

As a bonus, my 16yo nephew bought his first car last night. He's been saving from mowing lawns for the past 3 years and has saved all his Christmas and birthday money as long as I can remember. The car belonged to one of my best friends and he kept it very well maintained and lightly modded for the past 10 years. He's going to learn how to drive a stick on his first car like my brother and I both did. Super proud of this kid!
Rebuilding my VIII-emagxfs.jpg
Old Apr 8, 2018, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Keep up the progress! When do you expect the trans to be back? Also, that's a sweet achievement for your nephew. I'm a huge fan of having to work for your first car and especially if it's a cool one!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Jacks has my trans but hasn't updated me on the progress. I'm also sending my transfer case off to Shep for inspection and seals. Basic stuff.

The car is quick. Hope it's not too quick for him. Plenum spacer, high flow cats, exhaust, UpRev. New shocks, brakes, and tires. We installed full Whiteline bushings a couple years ago, too. Car is pretty mint for 165k.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Got some work done today. I tried to "finish" a few things today. So many projects I've half started and haven't done much on.

Pressed my dowel pins into my flywheel. I actually had to have pins machined for the Gruppe S flywheel.
Rebuilding my VIII-lguy7jv.jpg

New rear main installed and torqued:
Rebuilding my VIII-llya1pi.jpg

Freshly painted oil pan bolted up. I spent a lot of time cleaning the mating surface on the pan and the block. Hoping to keep the oil IN the pan:
Rebuilding my VIII-w8snlau.jpg

Did a quick clean on the front subframe. The big bushing that wraps around the steering rack had slid sideways. Cleaned it all up real well and reinstalled. Also installed new Energy Suspension front swaybar bushings:
Rebuilding my VIII-yvxqi45.jpg
Rebuilding my VIII-yxvvprv.jpg

Also managed to start a small wire tuck. I really wish I hadn't, as I HATE wiring. I wanted to get rid of a couple EGR connectors that I no longer use, so I started with those. Ended up deciding I wanted to clean it up a bit while I have the chance. I'd like to run the injector harness under the intake manifold and clean things up a bit. I didn't really get anywhere but here. I need supplies and a couple of connectors.
Rebuilding my VIII-zbm7zwr.jpg

I also started taking my calipers apart. I have a friend that is going to powder coat them for me. Going to rebuild them and hopefully install with new SS lines and pads:
Rebuilding my VIII-sk0w5rc.jpg

Lastly, I boxed my transfer case to send off to Shep. No pics.

Last edited by aggieEVO; Apr 16, 2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Almost had a successful day yesterday. I didn't have a ton of time, but I wanted to get my brakes fully apart to get to my powder coater. All came apart fine except for one crossover tube. The nut started to round out, so I bit the bullet and hack sawed through the tube. Socket made quick work of it, but unfortunately the threads in the caliper are toast. I ordered a couple taps. M10x1.0 I believe is the wrong size. I'm going to run it through to see if that'll take care of it before I resort to a helicoil. I ordered 2 taps just in case I needed to cut one down, as the hole is fairly shallow. Guess I'll also be ordering new crossovers. Everything is $$$$!
Rebuilding my VIII-afzol38.jpg
Old Apr 16, 2018, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Taps came in. Luckily running the tap through it cleaned it up. Off to powder coat!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 01:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
You got lucky there! Keep up the good work and don't let a little wiring get you down... it's not that hard, just time consuming.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my VIII