Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Rebuilding my VIII

Old May 20, 2018, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This wasn't fun by myself, but it's done:
Rebuilding my VIII-crnmhid.jpg

Did a couple little things this afternoon. Transmission breathers and plugs are back in. Wired up, and shifter is connected. Starter is bolted back on. I'm going to work on my wiring now before I install the transfer case and things get a little more crowded.
Old May 23, 2018, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Not much to say today. I have a few things headed my way. New tires ordered this morning. Brembo stickers on the front calipers. SuperPro Duroball +caster front control arm bushings arriving today.

I also happened upon a video on YouTube (Czero) talking about knockoff eBay Denso coils. Turns out mine are knockoff, which is probably why I didn't notice any sort of performance difference when I installed my kit. I found a set of legit used Denso coils from a reputable seller. Those should show up today. I'll probably make sure the car starts and runs before I put them on, though. With all the other little things I'm doing I hate to throw another wrench in.

Pics soon! I may have some time to get the wiring sorted and the transfer case and subframe back up this weekend.
Old May 25, 2018, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

I spent some time on the wiring the other night. Got it about 75% done. I soldered on new injector connectors and did some cleanup. Might be able to spend some time on the car on Monday.

Made this my first delivery yesterday. I hope they live up to the good reviews!
Rebuilding my VIII-3bxk8ik.jpg

These also came in the mail.
Rebuilding my VIII-hoheqhz.jpg
Old May 25, 2018, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by aggieEVO
This wasn't fun by myself,
I can relate. Friends are quick to ask for help and steps aside to let you do all the work, but when it's your turn asking for help, all you hear are crickets.
This is how our friends help us to REALLY learn about our cars!
Old May 25, 2018, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Looking like good progress, Brady. I'm moving up to Fort Worth in a couple weeks so I won't quite be next door but I'll be close enough for tough jobs.
Old May 27, 2018, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
Looking like good progress, Brady. I'm moving up to Fort Worth in a couple weeks so I won't quite be next door but I'll be close enough for tough jobs.
Good to know!

Had a minor procedure done on Friday morning. I was supposed to be resting through Monday and back at work on Tuesday. Managed to sneak out while my wife ran errands yesterday and got the wiring finished up. Today while she took the kids out so I could have some quiet I took a quick 30 minutes and filled and bolted up the transfer case (remembering the small o-ring).

I should be able to get a little time to get the subframe up tomorrow during my son's nap time. Hopefully I can get the turbo assembly bolted up, too. That'll have me feeling pretty darn good about things. May be up and running by next weekend so I can start breaking in the clutch and drivetrain! 500 miles is going to take an eternity.
Old May 29, 2018, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

I got a lot done yesterday. Subframe went up and in. Steering rack and rear motor mount bolted up. Power steering is all connected. Turbo bolted in and torqued up. Water lines and oil feed/return buttoned up. Lower IC piping is connected. Crossmember and roll stopper all done!

I'll be spending some time on my control arms this week. New ball joints and big bushings. Those will be next to go on. Feeling pretty good about things!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Last couple days were pretty eventful.

New ball joints and bushings:
Rebuilding my VIII-4scratl.jpg

Installed:
Rebuilding my VIII-btelceh.jpg

I then proceeded to do a lot really quickly, as it was just reassembly. Replaced one tie rod end that I mangled when I popped it off. Shocks, SS brake lines, and calipers went on.

New FP intake went on. Fit wasn't perfect in regards to my upper radiator hose and Perrin filter adapter. Hoping to remedy this when I do a SD tune at some point.

Inlet size difference:
Rebuilding my VIII-cj5pgdo.jpg

Engine bay now. I have a few things to wrap up. I seem to have a coolant leak from the passenger's side, which baffles me as I really didn't do anything over there. The only thing I can imagine is that I lowered the motor too much and the water pump had pressure against the side of the engine bay and tweaked it. Working on that. I also broke the oil pressure sensor clip when I was jumping over a nasty hurdle yesterday. I also need to repaint my manifold cover and install my strut tower brace after I get things wrapped up and get my idle sorted.
Rebuilding my VIII-63sro26.jpg

Car fired up first time without a hiccup. I couldn't have been more surprised or pleased. Ran the car on jack stands for about 2 miles and drained off the excess transfer case fluid. Adjusted the clutch and pedal per Jack's directions. Torqued the wheels and went for a drive. Did a quick and nasty car wash to get 6 weeks of dust off the car. Here's what we have!
Rebuilding my VIII-dnupqtc.jpg

So, let me try to get a list of everything I did during this little hiatus.

Gruppe S flywheel
New Comp Stage 2 sprung clutch (same as what I had)
New throwout bearing
ACT Monoloc
New OEM slave cylinder
Jack's Transmission basic rebuild
Shep basic rebuild on transfer case
Wiring cleanup and new injector connectors
New thermostat and some fresh paint on a few things
SS Brake lines
Rebuild and powdercoated Brembos with new Stoptech pads and hardware
Poly front swaybar bushings
New Whiteline front control arm ball joints
SuperPro control arm bushings
FP big compressor cover for 9 turbo
New exhaust mani gasket
Cleaned and painted oil pan
New rear main seal
Headlights blacked out
New Denso coil packs ready to install
Tires and alignment on the way!

Overall I'm really happy with how it drives. After I get the clutch broken in and the tires and alignment sorted out, I'll do a boost leak test and hopefully set aside some money for a proper tune. Thanks for watching!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Last couple days were pretty eventful.

New ball joints and bushings:

Installed:

I then proceeded to do a lot really quickly, as it was just reassembly. Replaced one tie rod end that I mangled when I popped it off. Shocks, SS brake lines, and calipers went on.

New FP intake went on. Fit wasn't perfect in regards to my upper radiator hose and Perrin filter adapter. Hoping to remedy this when I do a SD tune at some point.

Inlet size difference:

Engine bay now. I have a few things to wrap up. I seem to have a coolant leak from the passenger's side, which baffles me as I really didn't do anything over there. The only thing I can imagine is that I lowered the motor too much and the water pump had pressure against the side of the engine bay and tweaked it. Working on that. I also broke the oil pressure sensor clip when I was jumping over a nasty hurdle yesterday. I also need to repaint my manifold cover and install my strut tower brace after I get things wrapped up and get my idle sorted.

Car fired up first time without a hiccup. I couldn't have been more surprised or pleased. Ran the car on jack stands for about 2 miles and drained off the excess transfer case fluid. Adjusted the clutch and pedal per Jack's directions. Torqued the wheels and went for a drive. Did a quick and nasty car wash to get 6 weeks of dust off the car. Here's what we have!

So, let me try to get a list of everything I did during this little hiatus.

Gruppe S flywheel
New Comp Stage 2 sprung clutch (same as what I had)
New throwout bearing
ACT Monoloc
New OEM slave cylinder
Jack's Transmission basic rebuild
Shep basic rebuild on transfer case
Wiring cleanup and new injector connectors
New thermostat and some fresh paint on a few things
SS Brake lines
Rebuild and powdercoated Brembos with new Stoptech pads and hardware
Poly front swaybar bushings
New Whiteline front control arm ball joints
SuperPro control arm bushings
FP big compressor cover for 9 turbo
New exhaust mani gasket
Cleaned and painted oil pan
New rear main seal
Headlights blacked out
New Denso coil packs ready to install
Tires and alignment on the way!

Overall I'm really happy with how it drives. After I get the clutch broken in and the tires and alignment sorted out, I'll do a boost leak test and hopefully set aside some money for a proper tune. Thanks for watching!
looks good man! Its been along time since I seen your car lol
Old Jun 9, 2018, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Enjoying the car a lot. Got my tires put on and the car aligned this morning. All the teenage boys in town think I'm the coolest!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have a couple parts for sale if anyone is interested. I don't like the new marketplace and don't feel like things will be seen:

Name:  Y57jEbC.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  43.6 KB
Old Jan 12, 2019, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Got myself a little after-Christmas present. Work was brutal this year, fruits of my labor.

I've been wanting to check out the STM catback for quite a while. Took advantage of their 10% off and free shipping. Pretty sweet deal!

Laid out:
Name:  BxhbX8k.jpg
Size:  102.1 KB

Close up:
Name:  WfFP9im.jpg
Size:  75.0 KB

Great fit:
Name:  3mk17zx.jpg
Size:  84.8 KB

All done:
Name:  otLUzuz.jpg
Size:  133.8 KB

Also picked up a set of Precision 880s from a local EvoMer. Going to get these on and have the car tuned within the next couple weeks!

I'll also have my HKS Sport up for sale soon. PM me if you're interested!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Really liking the exhaust. It's a bit louder, but I think it sounds good. I can definitely hear some grow and tell the car has S1s, now. Time to sell the exhaust and get tuned!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
A few more parts cleaned up. I pulled all the plugs out of the filter housing before I cleaned them up. Put a little teflon tape and a little blue loctite in there when I put them back in. I'm going to have to get a new oil cooler, so I'll probably plug the lines for that temporarily. I don't mind running without one until the weather warms back up, if she's even running by then.

what did you use to clean this? Looks great
Old Feb 9, 2019, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

I actually ran them through a dishwasher if I remember correctly. Hah

Originally Posted by Moose_421

what did you use to clean this? Looks great

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding my VIII