Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

GotWheelHop's 2.2SLR 6466 build thread.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GotWheelHop's 2.2SLR 6466 build thread.

ISo let's see.....my car has been seen on this forum since it was bought back in 2003. The original owner, Vboy301 did many a photoshoot with this car over the years. It never made it much past regular bolt ons, till the stock motor popped on him. He went to Tuning Tech in California to source a new motor, and ended up with a 2.3 stroker. The car had basic bolt ons at that point as well...

- I buy the car, knowing it's history of being driven VERY hard. Search EVO U-TURN on youtube and see what I mean.....everyone talks about how Evos are a PITA when modded, this and that, whine and complain...My car is proof that if you maintain it properly, even a car that had the snot beat out of it can last. It has seen many turbo setups since I have owned it....from 38psi on an OG green(kaboom)....to a 35r....to a 40r.....then to an FP Black. All run hard.

2008-current
- The car up until recently was on the same 2.3 that it had when I bought it. Some 29k miles old, on Eagle rods/OEM 100mm/wiseco 8.5:1's. It ran a best of 11.7 @133 a couple months ago....but the car was at about it's limit, and I decided instead of going with new rods and refreshing the motor I was going to do a ground up build. So we pulled the motor (160+ psi in all cylinders!!!! 30k miles too!) and began selling stuff to fund this build. Here are my prior threads that have led up to the creation of a monster...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-er-tuned.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...as-v2-0-a.html

Enter my 2013 build.....

I have had nothing but praise over the last 3 years for English Racing. Aaron and Lucas are two of the best guys I have EVER dealt with in general....not just automotive related. I met them one year when they came out for SEMA and got to hang out with them. I picked Aaron's brain for a bit and was blown away by his sheer knowledge of 4g63's and cars of all makes. When you sit down and chat with him, you can tell that he enjoys what he does. This makes it easier for me to know my car was in good hands with their tuning, and ultimately now, with my build. So therefore my choice of ER is a no brainer.

Motor is going to be a 2.2 SLR. We had originally decided on a 2.4 based motor since I sold my 4g63 stroker shortblock....but I had already decided on a aftermarket crankshaft so Aaron sourced a 4g63 block for me. This sits better with me because we plan to run a TON of boost in this motor, and I feel more confident in a headgasket holding on a 63 based motor. I went with a k1 crank because I know Kiggly runs one that he absolutely abuses, and it holds up like a champ. Aaron recommended R&R I beams, so that is what we went with. We are sticking to 9.0:1, even though I run exclusively on e85.

Motor consists of -
94mm K1 lightweight crankshaft
153mm R&R I beam rods
9.0:1 Wiseco 1400HD pistons
ACL Bearings
ARP L19's
ARP mains
AMS pan
No B-shafts/etc

Head is going to be ported by Jeff Bush-
Race port
OEM gasket
S3's
Kiggly beehives/retainers
stock sized valves

Now as for a turbo, I have been wracking my brain for some time to decide on what to feed the motor with.....Originally we thought we would try to find the limit of the BB fp Black, but we decided easy power would be better so we went into the realm of t3 turbos again. I am going to do a 6466 as this seems to be THE turbo at the moment for making absurd power. I have yet to decide on FF or not. There is also a CDI igntion in my future, along with fuel supply mods as well....

We'll see how this progresses, as English is already well at work on my motor.

-Huge thanks to Aaron, Lucas, and the entire English team
-Vegas Evos for keeping my head in it
-EvoFredo for relentlessly talking smack
-Teribble for the garage space, and all the help. I owe you big, buddy.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by GotWheelHop; Jul 12, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like she's gunna boogie for sure! The guys over at ER always do great work and thier cars back it up at the track too!

Any particular reason for going with a 9.0:1 over a higher compression?
Old May 7, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Sounds like she's gunna boogie for sure! The guys over at ER always do great work and thier cars back it up at the track too!

Any particular reason for going with a 9.0:1 over a higher compression?
The cars that Boostin has been pumping out like yours give me a ton of confidence I the 6466. Your build is SO damn clean. As for the CR, I asked Aaron for his recommendation, and he said 9:1 would be perfect for this build.
Old May 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How high can you rev a 2.2SLR safely?
Old May 22, 2013, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Eddie, nice write up so far. I will try and keep pix in the thread since there is going to be a fair amount on our end that you wont get to see....bug me to remind me

We feel somewhere in the mid to high 9,000 range, 9600 so far but the turbo was kind of out up there anyway.

Last edited by JohnBradley; May 22, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in for updates as well... coming from a fellow Lightning Yellow Evo owner and English Racing supporter!
Old May 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Eddie, nice write up so far. I will try and keep pix in the thread since there is going to be a fair amount on our end that you wont get to see....bug me to remind me

We feel somewhere in the mid to high 9,000 range, 9600 so far but the turbo was kind of out up there anyway.
Don't worry Aaron. I'll pester the crap out of you. Lol.

I'm hoping it will only see 9k+ at the track in 4th gear. For street driving I doubt it will see 9k often. Or maybe it will. We'll see once it is built and running how hard it will get driven.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
Im in for updates as well... coming from a fellow Lightning Yellow Evo owner and English Racing supporter!
Yellow cars are MEANT to be fast. Walk loudly and carry a giant stick.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
Yellow cars are MEANT to be fast. Walk loudly and carry a giant stick.
Haha well said.

Question: what transmission setup do you plan to run?

Also, that "how to make a uturn" video is you? I watched that many times along with getting sideways lol
Old May 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

No. That was the previous owner. Like I said, this car has led a hard life before I got it.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
No. That was the previous owner. Like I said, this car has led a hard life before I got it.
Oh, well regardless... that video is one of my favorites.

Good luck on your build, you're in good hands
Old May 30, 2013, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Got some parts pix, but nothing on the block as its all at the machine shop right now -

Wiseco SLR2.2 pistons to our specifications

R&R I beam connecting rod in 153mm

K1 94mm lightweight crankshaft-
Old May 30, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

153mm that's an odd rod length. Why not 156 and just make the pistons custom.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

4G63 based 2.2L not a 4G64. 156mm ends up with a compression height that I havent found to work so we shortened the rod to the next normal length to use a CH I know works fine, then have the compression done where we want it. They are still custom pistons.
Old May 30, 2013, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for posting those up Aaron. I am getting really amped up about my build.

Quick Reply: GotWheelHop's 2.2SLR 6466 build thread.