Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Okay, did some logging today. For some reason Evoscan refuses to log ZTX User2 now, even though it's logging ZTX Boost and AFR just fine, so I had to log fuel pressure via Zeitronix logging software, which doesn't have RPM or TPS hooked up.

Either way it doesn't really matter as we can just follow boost and fuel pressure.

Here is one instance. Notice the next gear up, right into boost, the car goes really rich at almost one full point, then goes back to 11.8-11.9 after the initial boost hit.

No abnormal spikes in fuel pressure.

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fuel-pr...zoom=3865-4130

Here is a quick full throttle burst, rich at peak boost then going back to normal.

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fuel-pr...zoom=6777-6919

and another:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fuel-pr...om=10118-10279

Here is a WOT Pull through 3rd,4th and 5th. In Evoscan so no fuel pressure logged. You can still see the rich dips going into every gear.

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/misc-pu...2&zoom=208-398

Now I'm wondering if it might be the BOV opening....
Can you do me a favor and include (rail pressure - boost) in your data sets? That value is supposed to be equal to your base fuel pressure (rail pressure at idle with vacuum line disconnected) and should remain constant at all times.

FWIW, my Evo 9 does the same thing on spool. It was really bad when I was pushing 26+ psi on the stock DV, and when I went to a better DV, it went away. However, its back again now that I'm running even higher boost (34+ psi peak). I suppose its possible that the DV is again opening slightly. Since I only run Port B on my Synapse DV, it would be easy enough for me to check by running Port A+B. Maybe I'll try that later today if its not raining. This is all on MAF of course. On SD, a leaking DV couldn't affect AFR.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Can you do me a favor and include (rail pressure - boost) in your data sets? That value is supposed to be equal to your base fuel pressure (rail pressure at idle with vacuum line disconnected) and should remain constant at all times.
Are you asking me for the pressure at idle with the FPR vac line disconnected?

43-44psi with hose off

37-38psi with hose on

User2 in the logs is fuel pressure at the feed line, about 1" from the fuel rail hard line.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by The4sakenone
WOT through 3rd,4th and 5th gears eh? How fast were you going again? lol
With the crappy Evo 10 gearing, not that fast...
Old Nov 8, 2015, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Are you asking me for the pressure at idle with the FPR vac line disconnected?

43-44psi with hose off

37-38psi with hose on

User2 in the logs is fuel pressure at the feed line, about 1" from the fuel rail hard line.
I'd like you to include another column in your CSV file that includes rail pressure minus boost pressure.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

I'd like you to include another column in your CSV file that includes rail pressure minus boost pressure.
Like just do the math? I'm curious, why would you need to see that?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 04:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Here, I subtracted Fuel Pressure logged vs boost pressure logged and added a column called "FP-boost":

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fuel-pr...zoom=5392-5547
Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Like just do the math? I'm curious, why would you need to see that?
Rail pressure minus boost should always be equal to base pressure (43-44 psi for your setup). Your setup is showing higher 49-51 psi at WOT, so something is wrong with fuel pressure control. I see a pretty decent FP-boost spike right at the start of that log, probably where the full pump kicks into full pressure mode. The spike followed by the 50 psi FP-boost values indicates FPR overrun. What FPR are you running? Could you show me rail pressure minus boost for the portion of your logs before WOT? I'd like to verify that its 43-44 psi for offboost conditions.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Rail pressure minus boost should always be equal to base pressure (43-44 psi for your setup). Your setup is showing higher 49-51 psi at WOT, so something is wrong with fuel pressure control. I see a pretty decent FP-boost spike right at the start of that log, probably where the full pump kicks into full pressure mode. The spike followed by the 50 psi FP-boost values indicates FPR overrun. What FPR are you running? Could you show me rail pressure minus boost for the portion of your logs before WOT? I'd like to verify that its 43-44 psi for offboost conditions.
Stock FPR.

So now looking at the log I think something is totally wrong with the Zeitronix boost sensor log as that sensor is logging at approx -19 at idle:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/fuel-pr...4&zoom=35-2434

Here is OEM MAP sensor vs Zeitronix boost sensor at idle, OEM is approx -10 while zeitronix is approx -19:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/misc-pu...9-23&zoom=0-41

So the math with the zeitronix sensor is probably all wrong.

Fuel pressure is approx 39 off boost. That is with the vac hose on.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 8, 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

I think the ZT-2 is giving inHg for output when it goes into vacuum because -10 psi is -19 inHg. Kinda dumb. Maybe there is something in the software that tells the readout to stay in psi the entire time? But if you want to fix your logs, inHg is almost exactly 2*psi.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 09:18 PM
EvoM Guru

I think the ZT-2 is giving inHg for output when it goes into vacuum because -10 psi is -19 inHg. Kinda dumb. Maybe there is something in the software that tells the readout to stay in psi the entire time? But if you want to fix your logs, inHg is almost exactly 2*psi.
Looks like it's off during positive pressure as well:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/misc-pu...3&zoom=297-396

I'll have to take a look and see if I need to re-calibrate it or something... This is a little concerning as the pump controller is using the zeitronix sensor as MAP reference.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Looks like it's off during positive pressure as well:

http://datazap.me/u/razorlab/misc-pu...3&zoom=297-396

I'll have to take a look and see if I need to re-calibrate it or something... This is a little concerning as the pump controller is using the zeitronix sensor as MAP reference.
Where does the ZT read manifold pressure? Looks like its only off by 1.5 psi.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Where does the ZT read manifold pressure? Looks like its only off by 1.5 psi.
It's tapped into the FPR --> Intake Manifold vac line.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

It's tapped into the FPR --> Intake Manifold vac line.
My guess is that the ZT reading is the more accurate of the two boost values. The Kavlico pressure sensor they use is very accurate and has a very well-known scaling whereas the JDM 3-bar scaling is only an estimate based on my measurements many years ago comparing to dial gauges. But I assume you'll contact ZT to see what's up, in particular to verify whether it reports inHg in vacuum?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Razor you can soften the AFR dip if you delay the "full voltage" setting on the pump controller, you could even raise that setting high enough to were the pump never runs at full power. This can be useful if your FPR can't cope with the amount of flow and you don't need all the volume the pump can produce.
Ultimately on the X I have not been able to completely eliminate the AFR dip in all conditions. I can remove it under specific conditions but as soon as you load the engine in a different RPM/load/temperature it dips rich again, even though it may hit the same load cells. I do know it happens more easily the more you use MAP for your load calculations.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 02:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by black E
Razor you can soften the AFR dip if you delay the "full voltage" setting on the pump controller, you could even raise that setting high enough to were the pump never runs at full power. This can be useful if your FPR can't cope with the amount of flow and you don't need all the volume the pump can produce.
Ultimately on the X I have not been able to completely eliminate the AFR dip in all conditions. I can remove it under specific conditions but as soon as you load the engine in a different RPM/load/temperature it dips rich again, even though it may hit the same load cells. I do know it happens more easily the more you use MAP for your load calculations.
That is good information, thank you. I'll play around with the full voltage setting.

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)