Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Did you cut the louvers our in the fender liner behind the oil cooler? The fender liner doesn't flow very well IIRC. There are several louvers that are molded in, but they're not open.

ETS FMIC's work really well. I feel like a 30-40* delta isn't that bad since you're going to get heat soak with just about any intercooler. Your AGP also has a slightly larger surface are (20x13x3.5 AGP vs 20x12x3/3.5/4 ETS) over the ETS.

Awesome to see it finally back on the track.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Did you cut the louvers our in the fender liner behind the oil cooler? The fender liner doesn't flow very well IIRC. There are several louvers that are molded in, but they're not open.
Nope. That is what I meant by cutting it. As I was changing my wheels on Sunday back to my street set, I realized that about the fender liner. Also, I just noticed after this weekend my passenger side brembo is WAY darker than the drivers side. Not sure if it's because of the oil cooler sitting in front of that tire, or that Thunderhill is more left turns than rights so that front tire is always way hotter than the other three or something else I should be more concerned about

ETS FMIC's work really well. I feel like a 30-40* delta isn't that bad since you're going to get heat soak with just about any intercooler. Your AGP also has a slightly larger surface are (20x13x3.5 AGP vs 20x12x3/3.5/4 ETS) over the ETS.
I'm looking at the Greddy 33F FMIC, it is tube and fin so lighter and also it has slates inside that are supposed to direct the air to more of the core.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Before you run into buying a new intercooler, some food for thought- When dyno testing a road course tune, ER will do 5-6 pulls back-to-back on the dyno, with no cooling fans pointed at the intercooler to simulate track condition heat soak. I really don't your IAT-MAT delta is that bad. You have to remember the manifold itself gets hot too, with will raise MAT.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 03:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Before you run into buying a new intercooler, some food for thought- When dyno testing a road course tune, ER will do 5-6 pulls back-to-back on the dyno, with no cooling fans pointed at the intercooler to simulate track condition heat soak. I really don't your IAT-MAT delta is that bad. You have to remember the manifold itself gets hot too, with will raise MAT.

I have to think that frontal airflow at 130mph is a little different than 6 dyno pulls with no fans.

Here is some data, this is after two long straights at WOT with a small break between because of a U-shaped connector where I drop to 50mph for a brief amount of time. First straight I hit 121mph, second main straight I hit 130mph.

First straight MAT goes from 109 to 117F, second straight MAT goes from 111 to 120F. IAT drops from 83 to 77 each straight.

https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...om=32912-33736
Old Mar 12, 2018, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

If my car wasn't blowed up, I'd go do some pulls after work to see some comparative data. I have an IAT in the UICP. Seeing temp jump 10* on a straight away doesn't seem right for sure. I though you were seeing it work its way up to 120 over the first lap or two then maintaining that temp.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

If my car wasn't blowed up, I'd go do some pulls after work to see some comparative data. I have an IAT in the UICP. Seeing temp jump 10* on a straight away doesn't seem right for sure. I though you were seeing it work its way up to 120 over the first lap or two then maintaining that temp.
Here is the whole session, starting from sitting in the hot pit at idle with the car running, to all seven laps in that session. You can see the trend of the FMIC cooling off then heating up and peaking towards the end of each lap, which would be the highest MPH peak down the front straight which is the start/finish line.

https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...-18-19&solo=17
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
The AGP intercooler on paper appears to be a solid piece. Could the compressor side of the turbo be pickup up heat during the stress of track heat from the exhaust manifold? I thought you had the hot side shielded or wrapped up pretty well...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
The AGP intercooler on paper appears to be a solid piece. Could the compressor side of the turbo be pickup up heat during the stress of track heat from the exhaust manifold? I thought you had the hot side shielded or wrapped up pretty well...
Ah, thanks for reminding me! All the inconel heat shielding KICKED *** with track use. I could literally come off track, pop my hood and put my had down in the space between the firewall heat shield and the turbo/manifold and keep it there. It was hot but not "holy F I am going to burn my hand".

I was super impressed and now I really think it was worth every penny.

There is also a inconel shield between the center cartridge and compressor.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Ok, yep I thought I remembered being jealous of that setup! I am trying to explain why your charge temps would RISE on the straight, and I am not coming up with anything obvious. That intercooler by AGP seems like a good design and construction. I would not go tossing that without some more solid data. You obviously don't have a boost leak that is pushing your turbo out of efficiency... not picking up heat...

Oh wait... Could the inside of the intercooler be oil soaked from that engine oil mess explosion that happened to your car ?!

That would KILL the efficiency...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I would def. go for a a tube and fin IC.. bar and plate stuff is just a large heat sink that is not nedeed on the circle track.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 08:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Ok, yep I thought I remembered being jealous of that setup! I am trying to explain why your charge temps would RISE on the straight, and I am not coming up with anything obvious. That intercooler by AGP seems like a good design and construction. I would not go tossing that without some more solid data. You obviously don't have a boost leak that is pushing your turbo out of efficiency... not picking up heat...

Oh wait... Could the inside of the intercooler be oil soaked from that engine oil mess explosion that happened to your car ?!

That would KILL the efficiency...
Oil is only being burnt out the hotside, so just through the exhaust. No oil in intake tract.

Either way, I figured out if I keep the oil level at the lower hole indictor on the dip stick, it no longer burns oil. It's still 6qts at that level so the motor still has enough oil.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

If anybody is interested in seeing a log from an entire session of 7 laps I uploaded it here: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...11-17-18-21-22

I had to take out a bunch of the other log items to get the log under the 5mb Datazap limit.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Did some maintenance on the car today to prep it for my next track day on the 28th.

Bled the brakes, changed the oil and I also cut open more of the fender liner on the oil cooler side. It's surprising how little is open from the factory and also surprising how easy it was to cut more holes open with a box cutter.

Hoping this is going to help the cooling...

I had already started cutting some holes before I realized I should take a before/after photo so don't mind the couple added holes in the before photo.

Old Mar 19, 2018, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

That will help a decent amount I think. I noticed on my car that the left front tire runs 25* hotter than the right front, due to the oil cooler. Which I found Interesting because I didn't notice any difference between grip in the front tires. The NT01's just soak up the heat.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

That will help a decent amount I think. I noticed on my car that the left front tire runs 25* hotter than the right front, due to the oil cooler. Which I found Interesting because I didn't notice any difference between grip in the front tires. The NT01's just soak up the heat.
Yea my passenger side brembo is WAY darker than my drivers side brembo. I figured it was from the tire heat (Thunderhill is mainly left turns) and the oil cooler. Odd thing is I never saw that happen on my Evo 8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)