Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Old Apr 20, 2018, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Gas (or E85) engines are not very efficient. At your power levels the amount of heat energy that needs to be ejected is exponential compared to stock. I am amazed that your getting away with the stock radiator (I think). However, the engine oil is another story. That fluid feels ALL the effects of the extra heat being generated. I think your going to have to upgrade your oil cooling solution. Getting more air in/out of your current upgraded cooler might not be enough. Another cooler on the crash bar, plumbed inline with your current one may be in order. Another option is dumping the heat to the radiator with a mocal liquid/liquid heat exchanger as well, but that would most certainly then require you to upgrade your radiator. I have followed your thread for a long time now, and it was depressing for a while with how long the block took, then the oil/smoke demons... It appears now only a lingering electrical gremlin is on your back, but it isn't stopping you. Your Evo project is awesome, and I am glad it is paying off with some wicked track events!!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
I am amazed that your getting away with the stock radiator (I think).
My water temps have been rock solid through all this. Go OEM radiator. 185-190* this time. Max of 198* last time in 70-80* weather. Also probably because my coolant isn't going through my turbo. This is also probably why my oil temps are higher as the Precision turbos only use oil to cool them.

I'll look into another oil cooler in front of the radiator perhaps. Can the engine pump through both fine?

Last edited by razorlab; Apr 20, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

I picked up a CSF radiator since I am dumping SST heat to the coolant (BTU/Hr range: 27k to 37k), and my turbo runs HOT (TD05 9-blade) and obviously has coolant looping through it. As far as putting stress on the oil pump adding another cooler inline; that is a good question. Honestly I do not know for sure, however mishimoto did use TWO of their 19row coolers in series and my guess is they don't have the best pressure drop in the industry. That is only a single datapoint, I will poke around and see if I can find some more data on that. Perhaps road/race engineering has done this, or another actual racing type shop. Your also running a thicker oil which will cause higher pressure at the oil pump.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Invested in some safety equipment today as I figured the car is really really fast now so I should probably protect myself more.

NecksGen Rev2 Lite (Hans Device)
Schroth Profi II harness
Sparco shoes
Sparco gloves

Also started playing around with RaceRender to do video overlays with data. This one is just with Harry's Laptimer data as the RaceCapture data is more involved and will take me more time. Already makes the videos better though!

This footage is actually my best lap so far, the other 2:01 was slightly slower...

Old Apr 22, 2018, 08:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Finally figured out how to get my RaceCapture Pro 2 logs into RaceRender and make a nice custom overlay. Pretty happy about this, exactly what I wanted. Here are three laps from my last track day with data overlay.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That X boogies! Great project. RaceCapture looks like a worthy investment
Old Apr 29, 2018, 09:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Had another great day today at the track.

I could surprisingly feel the difference between the weight of the Greddy fmic compared to the AGP fmic on track. Turn in is where I felt it the most. Reminded me of how going to a mini-battery up front on my Evo 8 felt.

My NT01's are totally dead now and there was no timing allowed at this event so I just went out and had fun.

I barely slept the night before and I am dead tired tonight so I threw together this silly short video for now:

The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
IzzyRS (Apr 30, 2018), PolloVagabundo (Apr 30, 2018)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 05:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
That silly short video is actually pretty funny!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Why does your brakes squeak so loud? Is that normal for racing pads?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Race pads are loud.

Car looks good man. Seems to have decent grip even with burnt up tires on it. Definitely fast on the straights.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Alright, here is some data for the Greddy 33F tube & fin FMIC VS the AGP bar & plate FMIC.

In approx the same weather conditions, the same track and the same demand, it looks like the Greddy FMIC has an approx 10-15F cooler charge on average. That's good.

Even better is the unexpected changed in oil temps with the Greddy FMIC. Approx. 10F cooler oil temps on average under high demand. I'm assuming because of the cooler charge going into the cylinders. I'll take that!

Bonus photo of what my engine bay looks like now. I take the plastic engine cover off at track as well.

I didn't like how my Depot UICP fit so I purchased a Mishimoto and a different middle coupler, flipped the back piece of the Mishimoto around and the whole thing fits way better.

Baked brembos:

Old May 1, 2018, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Had another great day today at the track.
RS3 brake check.....woah.....wtf moment. Walkin a GT500 in the straights...nice

Great vid...........next safety upgrade....brakes.....dude
frenos negros
Old May 1, 2018, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Bryan,
#1 That video was FANTASTIC! Loved it.
#2 What brake fluid, pads, rotors are you running ?
#3 How much did you score the Greddy for?
Old May 1, 2018, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Bryan,
#1 That video was FANTASTIC! Loved it.
Hah thanks, I was a bit delirious from lack of sleep when I made it so glad it's been well received.

#2 What brake fluid, pads, rotors are you running ?
Raybestos ST47 front, ST43 rear
Centric Premium blank rotors
Prospeed RS683 brake fluid

This setup was rocking back when I had the stock turbo and 320whp.

Now it can't take the heat and I get about 5 laps before the heat gets too much and braking performance starts going down. It just can't take the much higher speeds now. I hit 120 about 2x a lap, 115 in a couple places and 134mph in the front straight. My next move is a larger brake kit, most likely Stoptech Trophy as I only want to do it once but ugh it's $$$$$$.

#3 How much did you score the Greddy for?
I got a smashing deal on it from a local shop, Speed Element.

Last edited by razorlab; May 1, 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old May 1, 2018, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

What about brake ducts? Do you think putting some airflow on them would do much to improve the situation?
I had plans to make ducts out of the firm pink foam, and then do XYZ using an autoclave I built ....to end up with carbon fiber brake ducts. Cannot seem to find any time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)