Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Old Jan 16, 2018, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by whtrice
Plugs look good!

Rotating cam is slick. When you going to start your own Podcast
and call it...... : ) "The Smoking Turbo"?

sponsor Bardahl

Interesting oil level plays a difference with the smoking and wonder if your getting into an excessive crankcase windage condition when you fill up to your top mark. Your monitoring crank pressure but an oil spray whipped up by the crank could be pulled into your system and burned. Your finger pointing the turbo but it could be oil windage.
this sounds like a plausible explanation.. I had something similar on my 9 when I would overfill the engine oil slightly when going out on a track. Had some really long flames from the exhaust..
Old Feb 16, 2018, 05:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

I was out doing some multi-gear pulls today and on one 2nd to 4th gear pull I shifted into 4th and the car felt like crap so I let out. It felt like a misfire but then I looked at the logs and saw this:

https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/febwot...zoom=8146-8415

What on earth? Everything just goes all crazy zig-zag, TPS, Load, etc. I know it's not the log dropping out because other things that aren't related aren't all zig-zaggy (like ethanol %, coolant, MAT, etc)

It's almost like the ECU freaked out.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 04:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Couple updates...

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT AND FIXED MY OIL LEAK. Yay!!!

Turns out it was the o-ring at the oil return line fitting at the block. I replaced it with the OEM o-ring off my OEM return line and it was a much firmer fit and no leak now. Wooohooo! That was pissing me off so much I'm super happy I finally figured it out.

I also switched from 10w-40 Pennzoil to Valvoline VR1 20w-50. The motor runs about 5-6psi more oil pressure at idle (26-27psi vs 20-21psi, approx the same at cruise (85-88psi) and about 10-15psi more at WOT (95-105psi vs 85-95psi)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

I was out doing some multi-gear pulls today and on one 2nd to 4th gear pull I shifted into 4th and the car felt like crap so I let out. It felt like a misfire but then I looked at the logs and saw this:

https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/febwot...zoom=8146-8415

What on earth? Everything just goes all crazy zig-zag, TPS, Load, etc. I know it's not the log dropping out because other things that aren't related aren't all zig-zaggy (like ethanol %, coolant, MAT, etc)

It's almost like the ECU freaked out.

Was that freak out repeatable or a one time thing? At the last ER dyno day, here in vegas, we had a X with a built motor that was inexplicably going int to fuel cut. Even at partial throttle and load. Not sure that on got figured out by the owner yet. This car did it every time though, and it would have CAN codes after it did it.

Couple updates...

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT AND FIXED MY OIL LEAK. Yay!!!

Turns out it was the o-ring at the oil return line fitting at the block. I replaced it with the OEM o-ring off my OEM return line and it was a much firmer fit and no leak now. Wooohooo! That was pissing me off so much I'm super happy I finally figured it out.

I also switched from 10w-40 Pennzoil to Valvoline VR1 20w-50. The motor runs about 5-6psi more oil pressure at idle (26-27psi vs 20-21psi, approx the same at cruise (85-88psi) and about 10-15psi more at WOT (95-105psi vs 85-95psi)
Fixing oil leaks is always so satisfying.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
The ECU freakout is a concern. Was the 12v being monitored by any chance? Could there be a ground or dropout of power to the ECU? Otherwise the only explanation is ugly; that the ECU barfed due to a loop-timing issue and a watchdog was tripped or something and it had to reset internally perhaps. The EVO X is the most hacked and modified OEM ECU on the planet, but there must be a limit somewhere to what it can do. I have never seen or heard of that though. Not cool.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 09:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Was that freak out repeatable or a one time thing? At the last ER dyno day, here in vegas, we had a X with a built motor that was inexplicably going int to fuel cut. Even at partial throttle and load. Not sure that on got figured out by the owner yet. This car did it every time though, and it would have CAN codes after it did it.
It's only done that this one time. Some think it might be NTLS being activated for some odd reason.

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
The ECU freakout is a concern. Was the 12v being monitored by any chance? Could there be a ground or dropout of power to the ECU? Otherwise the only explanation is ugly; that the ECU barfed due to a loop-timing issue and a watchdog was tripped or something and it had to reset internally perhaps. The EVO X is the most hacked and modified OEM ECU on the planet, but there must be a limit somewhere to what it can do. I have never seen or heard of that though. Not cool.
Like what the battery voltage at the ECU was? Looks like it was 14.08.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jaraxle

There are stock ECU X's making 900whp. He's not a the limit with this build.

It's only done that this one time. Some think it might be NTLS being activated for some odd reason.

Like what the battery voltage at the ECU was? Looks like it was 14.08.

NLTS would just be fuel cut. Your datalog wouldn't go crazy like that, and it would be a hard cut.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

NLTS would just be fuel cut. Your datalog wouldn't go crazy like that, and it would be a hard cut.
Do you have a theory then? I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm honestly not sure. Other than that's not what NLTS looks like in a log.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I don't have logs to compare but on my VIII I've had a similar freak out in the past. Way bay in the day I had NLTS enabled but found it extremely finicky so if you arent careful where you rest your left foot it would trigger it at random times and the car would spazz out. Have you been able to replicate this issue? If its NLTS obviously by turning it off it won't give you issues again.

The other time I had a similar thing happen I remember bring on the highway and then came up to a tool booth. Low speed low load and my car freaked out CEl flashed as it it was knocking and then it threw a code for P0300 or 303 or some cylinder misfire I forget which one specifically. But essentially the car panicked and basically went into limp mode for a second and then all of a sudden was fine again. Now I know the CT9A's are plauged with the phantom misfires to the point where we end up shutting them off. But Im wondering if perhaps your built motor is making more noise and the knock sensor is picking it up and thinking your car is missing?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
There are stock ECU X's making 900whp. He's not a the limit with this build.
Nothing to do with HP, I was just stating that the Evo X ECU is the most hacked up OEM motor management ecu on the planet. With the amount of changes that the community has performed to it, its a shock this type of thing actually is NOT common. I wonder if some area of the ECU needs to be cleared / reflashed or something. We don't exactly have coverage test plans for all the changes that have been done.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 09:15 PM
EvoM Guru

After this long-**** journey (two years!) I finally got back to the track!

Wow is all I can say. This thing is an absolute beast now on track. My current track tune I am running 24.5psi and this thing effortlessly pulls on all the heavy artillery at the track now. Where as before I would always get to a straight away chasing a GT3, Z06, Viper, Z28, etc and they would just pull football fields on me, now it is me that thou art doing the pulling. Super happy with the car.

I did a two day track weekend and I am glad I did. The first day was basically me scaring the F out of myself, over cooking braking zones, entering corners way too fast, etc. The car eats up road now, that is for sure. The second day I started to settle into the new manners of the car and started going faster and faster. I'm on three year old used NT01's now so they lost a good amount of grip but once I got used to the car again it was great sliding and dicing it up. The car would dance under braking a bunch of times which was a bit interesting.

All the fueling upgrades I did where worth it, afr, fuel pressure, etc where rock solid all weekend long. I even ran straight E83 this weekend to stress the system and it performed! So happy about that. This meant I was getting on the throttle harder in corners once I realized I didn't have to worry about fuel starvation.

The turbo and engine setup was really responsive for the power it makes on track. SUPER HAPPY with all my decisions on the build. Especially once entering a straight with a GT3, Z28 or Viper trailing and me pulling super hard on them down the straight. Really happy I can now do 120+ in 4th gear now. Saves shifting into 5th a bit.

Now I just need to get comfortable with the car again on corner entry speeds. I was being super cautious and over braking. Hell, it's been two years since I had been on track so I cut myself some slack.

Here are some quick un-cut videos. One with my GoPro and one with my Rylo 360. The Rylo has crazy wind noise. The GoPro I need to get an external mic asap! I also need a real seat and harness. You can see in the Rylo video that I am having a hard time staying in one place and I am sore now because of it.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 11, 2018 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Mar 26, 2018)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 155 Posts
Awesome! Glad its sorted and you're happy with the outcome. Had me scared for a minute you might do something rash like sell it haha
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:35 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
congrats! Thats an awesome "happy ending" to a long difficult project. You must have been euphoric.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

So here is my last session of the day on Sunday. Calling out my operating temps and oil pressure.

https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...18-19&solo=3-8

Couple things to note.

- I need to cut out the fender liner behind the oil cooler, oil temps seem high for a 70F day and an upgraded cooler. I'm thinking it's because the cooler can't breathe. Max of 260-270F oil temps.

- My oil pressure drops about 20-30psi at WOT at track oil temps of 250f+, it was running around 70-80psi at WOT. On the street at 190-200F oil pressure is 90-100psi at WOT.

- My charge temps are around 30F more than my intake temps. 120F MAT when IAT is 80. I'm starting to think the AGP FMIC kind of sucks. Time for a different FMIC? Which is the best?

- My IAT temps where great, I made a custom shield by cutting up the box from my old AEM intake. It worked really well as the IAT's stayed low and constant and maybe 10F more than ambient.

- My Coolant temps stayed rock solid at 185-190F the whole time. Go OEM radiator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)