Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
I really hate to say I was right, yup TC. Exact same situation happen with me
I gotta hand it to ya, you were right all along. What a sh!tty thing to happen to anyone. People are so stoked to drive their cars after a dyno tune and then SURPRISE, your built t case blew up

The level of suck that this entails is beyond what I've experienced, the bad luck is almost fictional.

Tonight I butchered my car and disconnected the transfer case. Tomorrow night a different case is going in.

-pal215
Old Dec 2, 2016, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
lol it sounds like a Husky.

Sorry for the crap luck man, I can relate for sure.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Bummer if its that sound during cruising it sounds like the start to the death wine.

Originally Posted by Pal215
So guys,

how much oil is shared between the TC and Trans through that top hole ?

-pal215
Dont have an answer for you on this one but where are you going with this? Before you dropped your xcase I assume you drained your fluid? How much came out?

And what's the story with this xcase anyway? Sounds sketchy being that it was brand new yet has old gear oil in it already.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Bummer if its that sound during cruising it sounds like the start to the death wine.

Dont have an answer for you on this one but where are you going with this? Before you dropped your xcase I assume you drained your fluid? How much came out?

And what's the story with this xcase anyway? Sounds sketchy being that it was brand new yet has old gear oil in it already.
Yeah it's pretty awful.

I measured it out to be 0.63 quarts that came out of the t-case, which is a little more than how much the factory recommends. I was just wondering if any metal particulate could travel from a wrecked transfer case over to the transmission. I believe that the hole is used to lube a bearing? Not too sure, but not too worried.

The story behind the T-case goes like this:

As I was collecting parts for my build, I posted a WTB thread for a built t-case. A local evo owner responded to my thread claiming that he had a brand new never installed TRE built t-case. We met at a local mall and completed the transaction. The transfer case looked new and had all the plastic plugs, but it was in a jacks trans box. The box had that special styro foam molding on the inside that held the transfer case in place. For some reason I was convinced that it was fine.

After I installed the T-case, I removed the drain plug out of curiosity not expecting to find anything, but a good amount of oil spilled out onto the floor. It didn't look dirty.

I filled up the TC with Diaqueen and continued with the install and break in procedures. There was a drivetrain noise during decel, but it turned out that some of it was rear diff related . It could be that the rear diff was hiding the blown TC noise the entire time and it didn't show it's true colors until it came off the dyno.

In summary I believe I got taken for a ride. The scary thing about collecting parts for builds is that you don't know what's broken or working until you put everything together when you finally have the rest of the parts. You kinda test everything at the same time which is foolish, but we all do it lol.

-pal215
Old Dec 2, 2016, 04:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cerevo
lol it sounds like a Husky.

Sorry for the crap luck man, I can relate for sure.
Thanks cerevo.

That's ok, it will just make the come back bittersweet

-pal215
Old Dec 2, 2016, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't feel too bad, my unit was brand new directly from Shep and the same thing happened.
I know that disappointing feeling all to well.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Don't feel too bad, my unit was brand new directly from Shep and the same thing happened.
I know that disappointing feeling all to well.
Nothing in this world makes sense anymore ahahaha!

-pal215
Old Dec 3, 2016, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah man, I have a bad habit of buying something (or a bunch of somethings) letting them sit for 6 or 7 months until I'm ready to do a lot on the car at once and then realizing I didn't get everything I ordered or a part being bad. Happened with my thrust bearing for the engine build. Luckily I had checked it about a month after I got them that time.
I've started taking inventory any time I get a box and if it's used I pull it out and inspect it real good.
Though, I can understand not taking a transfer case all apart. I probably wouldn't have either because I wouldn't be able to get it back together lol.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cerevo
Yeah man, I have a bad habit of buying something (or a bunch of somethings) letting them sit for 6 or 7 months until I'm ready to do a lot on the car at once and then realizing I didn't get everything I ordered or a part being bad. Happened with my thrust bearing for the engine build. Luckily I had checked it about a month after I got them that time.
I've started taking inventory any time I get a box and if it's used I pull it out and inspect it real good.
Though, I can understand not taking a transfer case all apart. I probably wouldn't have either because I wouldn't be able to get it back together lol.
I hearya man, that's about the most that should be expected of us anyway.

UPDATE:

New ( used) transfer case is in! It sucked taking out a new looking transfer case and throwing in a rust bucket, grimy, dirty and scuffed up transfer case, but at least this one actually works. I cleaned it best I could before I put it in, but honestly it didn't help it much.

All what is left to do now is fill with fluids and bolt up the exhaust manifold.

-pal215
Old Dec 3, 2016, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You da man Pal, I'm the same way, won't rest till its figured out !
Something tells me you gonna make a video tonight with the good news
Old Dec 4, 2016, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Were you able to change all gears before this failure happened ?

Is there any difference in USDM and JDM T-Case strength wise ?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
You da man Pal, I'm the same way, won't rest till its figured out !
Something tells me you gonna make a video tonight with the good news
Right you are lonestarr20!

At last there is some good news. After changing the transfer case, the noise is gone! I was able to get on it last night and all I can say is it hits 100mph wayyyy too fast

Originally Posted by mines5
Were you able to change all gears before this failure happened ?

Is there any difference in USDM and JDM T-Case strength wise ?

Nope, I just installed the "built" transfer case as is and expected it to work. After throwing in a different transfer case the cars behavior was much better.

No difference between the two T-cases as far as I know. Most of the failures are related to the ring and pinion being set out of spec by the company that Mitsubishi hired to assemble the transfer cases. The material of the transfer case and it's internals should be the same between USDM and JDM models.

-pal215
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The same thing happened to me. My stock tcase started whining after my build which didn't surprise me. With all that extra torque it lasted about 300 miles. Sent it out to Jack's for a stage 3 build. After breaking it in the new one failed also. I didn't launch the car either. After talking to Jack he was surprised but fixed it for me. Great customer service! The tcase has been great now. Probably has about 4k miles on it with about 10 launches. Well soon after my 2nd gear broke. Having a torque monster kills these drive train parts lol! I now have a stage 3 trans with a 411 final drive from TRE. So far everything is great. I love this trans! Now I need axles before those let go. I'm not sure how dynapack numbers are compared to others but those are some good numbers 👍
Old Dec 5, 2016, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Right you are lonestarr20!

At last there is some good news. After changing the transfer case, the noise is gone! I was able to get on it last night and all I can say is it hits 100mph wayyyy too fast

Nope, I just installed the "built" transfer case as is and expected it to work. After throwing in a different transfer case the cars behavior was much better.

No difference between the two T-cases as far as I know. Most of the failures are related to the ring and pinion being set out of spec by the company that Mitsubishi hired to assemble the transfer cases. The material of the transfer case and it's internals should be the same between USDM and JDM models.

-pal215

It takes a lot to wipe out a TRE tcase. I would send it back to Jon and see what he says. Best case it needs a gear set and pinion bearings, prob run you around a grand or so. Worst case it may also need a front diff. Sometimes he has the RS limisted slip front diff in stock, and will sell it for around 300-400 with his mods to it (I think) or a wavetrac is $1k. If your tcase already has a wavetrac, it's likely fine..
Old Dec 9, 2016, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
second time of fully going thru the build thread! made me make an account XD love the car man keep it up!

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build