Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Looks like it might be time to replace that piece even if you get a new stock one
Old Nov 25, 2017, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I'll put that part also in my next order from Rosssport. Doesn't cost much either
Old Nov 27, 2017, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Can you comment on the Radium fuel rail with pulse damper? Any feedback would be appreciated. Im considering picking up a new rail and havent heard much about the Radium unit...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Very good info here guys! Thanks to your contributions, I feel like this has become one of the more technical threads on evom.

The car is doing fantastic so far. Last night I freaked out because I was locked out of 1st and 2nd. It felt linkage related..and so it was. My plastic shift selector shoe came loose on top of the trans when I installed it back into the car. Initial signs were poping out of second during decel, then total stupidity. After unbolting 2 12mm bolts and placing back, everything is perfect again.

They sell an aftermarket one that looks tighter, but it don't know if that would fall within Mitsu requirements for the available selector play, if there is any.

Taken from Ross Sport

This stupid thing scared me.
Can the same thing happen with the 4th gear ? if you are getting locked in 2nd means you are also locked in 4th ? 2nd and 4th gear has the same selector ?
- Another question.. If you are not getting locked in 2nd but in 4th , this bush might be the cause ?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Can you comment on the Radium fuel rail with pulse damper? Any feedback would be appreciated. Im considering picking up a new rail and havent heard much about the Radium unit...
Absolutely,

The Radium fuel rail is a modular type fuel rail that allows you to add differently sized fittings and devices to the rail. You can fit a fuel pressure regulator and fuel pulse dampener all on that same rail and take care of multiple issues at once. If I were them, I would engineer a vacuum channel into one end of the fuel rail to feed accessories such as these instead of having visible lines, but I'd imagine things could get complicated at the connections.

I was experiencing a very bad lean spot at exactly 3k rpm that was beyond tuning out. It would cause the car to stumble and bog down and was brought forth by the harmonics between the fuel pump and my injectors while using the AMS fuel rail. I could have just drilled, tapped, and added the universal 3/8" NPT fuel pulse damper Radium sells to the AMS rail, but it did not have a vacuum feedback port. Needless to say, after buying the rail, necessary fittings, and FPD with vacuum nipple, my lean issues vanished. 2nd best problem I ever solved with the help of Evom.

Originally Posted by mines5
Can the same thing happen with the 4th gear ? if you are getting locked in 2nd means you are also locked in 4th ? 2nd and 4th gear has the same selector ?
- Another question.. If you are not getting locked in 2nd but in 4th , this bush might be the cause ?
When that plastic shoe bushing came loose, my first and second gears were no longer reachable and the shifter kinda forced itself to the driver side. If you are experiencing any type of gear lock out and you've already checked your clutch pedal shaft travel and blead your clutch, I would check this bushing and the rest of the shifter linkage before doing anything more.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
I'll put that part also in my next order from Rosssport. Doesn't cost much either
Let us know if it makes a big difference!

I want to see if I can justify the shipping as I can't seem to find that part within the U.S. lol
Old Nov 27, 2017, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha thanks for the feedback. It doesn't seem to be all that prevalent on the CT9A's and happened to see you have it so I was curious.

Im going to pick up their rail myself as they have a kit that includes the lil leader hose to the rail where there is that restrictive 2 bolt flange. Seems the quality is solid it flows more than the other rails and the price is right. Im not sure if Ill need the actual damper but I guess I'll leave it plugged for now and can always pick it up later.

It looks like Im about to get some FIC1200's so Im going to be right on the cusp of needing more injector so these subtle improvements could be all the difference I need.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The issue arises (or becomes very difficult or impossible to tune out) when you put an aftermarket fuel rail and FPR on the car. The stock fuel rail and FPR are design to tune out resonance in the fuel system and prevent lean spots. And it mostly the fuel rail (the shape of it).

If you're making <650whp, a fuel rail is unneeded.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

^That makes sense. I recall seeing a figure of around 700whp posted by DB where the stock rail became restrictive but that was on 93. Makes me think at around the 500 mark on corn it might become a bottleneck.

Its not going to halt me from making X amount of power. But if I get those 1200's it may be all the difference I need to allow me to have enough fuel.

IDK man...I started just by trying to piece together that -6AN leader hose but started getting pricey to the point that it seemed like just getting their rail with the hose was the better buy and makes for a cleaner install if I end up getting an adjustable FPR. You know me Im all over the map and need to focus.

Oh and BLING bro!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 03:30 PM
EvoM Guru

^That makes sense. I recall seeing a figure of around 700whp posted by DB where the stock rail became restrictive but that was on 93. Makes me think at around the 500 mark on corn it might become a bottleneck.

Its not going to halt me from making X amount of power. But if I get those 1200's it may be all the difference I need to allow me to have enough fuel.

IDK man...I started just by trying to piece together that -6AN leader hose but started getting pricey to the point that it seemed like just getting their rail with the hose was the better buy and makes for a cleaner install if I end up getting an adjustable FPR. You know me Im all over the map and need to focus.

Oh and BLING bro!
I met a girl yesterday who liked the BLING factor of the Radium rail, then I found out she was into girls too.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Lol! Just girls or...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Lol! Just girls or...
I think she wasn't totally set on one way or another, but that's just my observation.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Hahaha! One way to find out...

So meanwhile I ended up ordering the rail along with a bunch of other random goodies. I still have a million things to order and getting very anxious as I stare at the bare block and my poor car sitting lonely in the garage. I should probably start my own build threads one of these days...

Last question- is that a Fuellab FPR? And any reason you have it mounted to the firewall vs directly on the fuel rail?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Hahaha! One way to find out...

So meanwhile I ended up ordering the rail along with a bunch of other random goodies. I still have a million things to order and getting very anxious as I stare at the bare block and my poor car sitting lonely in the garage. I should probably start my own build threads one of these days...

Last question- is that a Fuellab FPR? And any reason you have it mounted to the firewall vs directly on the fuel rail?
I know the feeling. And mmaannnn the gaskets and seals... I would highly recommend a build thread as it's a lot of fun and helps you document all of your work for easy reference later. It also helps out the newbs HUGELY. The hard part is finding motivation to put the tools down and pick up the camera during your work lol.

Correct, I mounted the Fuel lab FPR against the firewall to allow for greater access around the engine bay dipstick area with my last setup.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Now working with ER for a remote E-Tune. I'm always amazed at how attentive and supportive the ER team is. I placed an online order for the E-tune and Aaron responds the SAME night. Fantastic service. After the tune is complete, I will take the car to a local dyno shop and have it dyno'd for numbers. Then I will compare the results to the controversial PC application, Virtual Dyno, and see how far off it was. I realize that every dyno reads differently, but this is for my curiosity XD.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build