Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Evos in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evos in Austin

Driving down 183 to Din Ho Chinese BBQ I saw a bright yellow Evo sitting in the showroom of Maxwell Mitsubishi. After dinner my GF and I went back to the dealer to ask the important question ($$$) and they were closed.

The showroom was dark, but enough light was sining in the window to show that they had 3 in there: Silver + sunroof, Yellow + sunroof, and Black. They had actually just closed and one of the salesmen came up and started giving me the hard sell. I asked him the price and he said 35-37. I dunno what they're smoking.

He also told me they're getting 3 more tomorrow, Red, White, and Blue (how patriotic!). They had just gotten the other 3 in the showroom today. I didn't ask, but it didn't sound like anyone had a preorder down. He claims they're the #1 dealership in the US or some crap like that, but so does Barrett Mitsubishi up the road. Barrett claims 13 Evos, though I don't know if that's in the first shipment or not. If Maxwell is getting 6 intial, maybe Barrett is getting a bunch too.

I'm gonna hit up Barrett tomorrow to see what their prices/allottment are, and maybe head back to Maxwell to see if I can reason with that guy. At the very least I want to sit in the damn thing.

Though I'm not looking to buy, new cars are so damn tempting... but it would take a magic deal to sell me: MSRP, 12k trade-in on the Subie, and a good rate. I doubt I'll get any of those from the dealership... but who knows. It's always fun to look though, right?
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:03 AM

When I checked them out yesterday morning, they said they wanted $35k at Maxwell. I know they weren't taking deposits. They are hoping for a feeding frenzy. There are several MSRP dealers in Texas so it'll be interesting to see how they sell in this economy.

Din ho is great isn't it! Don't trade your car. I just sold my 98 Passat with 100k miles and it didn't take long. Got $4k more than trade-in too.

Let us know how your bargaining goes.

Last edited by Go Trees; Mar 8, 2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Go Trees
When I checked them out yesterday morning, they said they wanted $35k at Maxwell. I know they weren't taking deposits. They are hoping for a feeding frenzy. There are several MSRP dealers in Texas so it'll be interesting to see how they sell in this economy.

Din ho is great isn't it! Don't trade your car. I just sold my 98 Passat with 100k miles and it didn't take long. Got $4 more than trade-in too.

Let us know how your bargaining goes.
Well I'm not realy needing to buy, but it's so tempting. I've only had my Subaru for a little over 2 years, so it's not like it can't last longer. But I figure I'll see what kind of numbers the dealers can give me. It's just the though of 5 more years of $500 payments that doesnt sound cool. Esecially since I'm on track to pay off the current car in about 1 year.

If they're selling at $35k I have a feeling those cars will be sitting in the showroom for a while. Just my opinion, cuz I wouldn't buy the car for a dime over MSRP. And especially when there are dealers in TX that will sell at MSRP, like you said.

Din Ho is pretty good, yah. We used to go to Pho Cong Ly next door every Friday night... not so much since we moved way up to Leander, though.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Ahhh, there are fellow Austinites on the board....Din Ho rocks!! Went to Gillman Mitsurapemeintheass today, they wanted $38,800 for big wing and no sunroof. Even when I offered 31500, he said I wasn't serious so I told them to call me when they're coming down to MSRP and walked out. He was so cocky and confident that they'd sell all the Evos they have at that mark-up. He claimed they got 8 and have sold 3 already since I only saw 5 on the lot, 2 yellows, a red, a silver and a black.

BOYCOTT GILLMAN!!!!!
Old Mar 8, 2003, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, whats up guys....

Din Ho rocks... Love that little hole in the wall joint as well. N9, pan fried flat noodles.... Mmmmm..

Yeah, i couldn't agree with you guys more. I want an EVO, but I don't need one right this second. Maxwell guys have been calling me every freakn hour since I stopped in there. Started at 37, next call was 35, next call was 32. They only had Silver, black, and yellow. Sweet car also. But I want white without the sunroof, I need that helmet clearance. I will probably roll out to Garret, but I have my doubts. I can't believe Austin dealers some time, they still think there are Dellionaires running around. My family is in Baton Rouge, and rummor has it 800 over sticker. I had to go to Beaumont for MSRP on the S2k, I will go to BR for an EVO. They don't get it that more will come, and they haven't sold one yet. All three in first shippment are still on their lot. I think we should start a Austin/Central Texas EVO group as soon as people start getting them.

Rember Auto-X Sunday.... www.spokes.org

I will be there in a Yellow S2k, stop by and check it out. Walk up and introduce yourself.

/<
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

iodine23,

wow 777, nice to know you were here from the start.

also, 2.5RS, great car, my brother has a white one with STi calipers and fog light covers, fun little beast.

I would like to go with you when you try to chew the dealer down at Maxwell, I think I could help you out alot. I would guess 1500 over is what they would do right now. They really wanted to work with me. We could tag team them and drive them back to reality. It would be fun also!

/<
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

The only way I'd buy now is on impulse, so it's best just to stay away and wait for the dealers to start selling at below MSRP. Plus, like you said, my car is a great car, so I'm not dying to give it up just yet.

I'm going to swing by Barrett tomorrow, even though I think they're closed. I'll see how many are in the showroom or on the lot. I'll be out that way anyways going to/from a soccer game in Pflugerville. I might swing by the AutoX.

Never really got into the AutoX scene though a lot of the guys I know on i-club were into it. I met up with Travis a few times, he used to be (still is?) pretty big in Spokes I think. He had a '99 rally blue 2.5RS.

I like 777, too bad they brought over the Evo 8 and not 7. 402 is a pretty low number, too! I just lurk, that's all. So many lame people here, but I was looking for any Evo information I could find.

White is the Evo color to get. I saw a white 7 in the UK and it's niiiiice. No sunroof for me please!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Just rolled by Barrett on my scouting mission. They have a red one outside, so I got to take a good look at it right up close. Then I peeked inside and saw a white one and a yellow one. Also noticed a silver one outside on the other side of the showroom.

When I walked over to it, that one had a hanger in the window saying a $8,495 markup! I literally burst out laughing right there.

In the back impound they had another red, another yellow, and a black. So that's at least 7 there. But at 8,495 markup, good luck selling those!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

sup yall!! hmmm...if yall got em in austin then gillman must have one!!! i gotta go check it out!!! theres actually quite a lot of people from san antonio and austin on here! im suprised! wow, yalls gillman sounds like sum dicks! 40 grand?! asses!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

wow! yall are gettin screwed! i stopped by gillman san antonio on my way home from my soccer game juss to see if they had em and they did! whew! what a sight!!!! anyways...i dont recall the price on the red one with a sunroof, but they had a black one w/o a sunroof and it was $30,800. not bad...better then 38 grand! so if you seriously want one come down here to get it!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

White one eh? I got to go see that. I like silver, but I think I would love white.

Travis and I are really good friends. He sold his blue 2.5RS and got a black WRX wagon. He and I started autoxing together at the same time some 4 years back. Boy knows how to drive.

I will probably cruise up to Barret Monday to check it out. I will go ahead and laugh at them for ya. See if they will come down to 1500 over. But like you I will pay MSRP or less only.

Auto-x was awesome. Our S2000 has the orginal S02 on them and they are totatly finished now with only 9K miles on them. We will be putting S02 back on the car, no better tire for the S.

/<
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
White one eh? I got to go see that. I like silver, but I think I would love white.

Travis and I are really good friends. He sold his blue 2.5RS and got a black WRX wagon. He and I started autoxing together at the same time some 4 years back. Boy knows how to drive.

I will probably cruise up to Barret Monday to check it out. I will go ahead and laugh at them for ya. See if they will come down to 1500 over. But like you I will pay MSRP or less only.

Auto-x was awesome. Our S2000 has the orginal S02 on them and they are totatly finished now with only 9K miles on them. We will be putting S02 back on the car, no better tire for the S.

/<
Yeah, they had your car, White with sunroof. The hood was popped open on the showroom floor so you could see the goodies inside.

I noticed that Travis was listed as Subaru WRX on the Spokes link you provided earlier. So I kind of assumed he jumped ship to the WRX. His RS was pretty nice, the old school one with the "real" blue and I think it had the gold rims too.

I might swing by Barrett or Maxwell tonight after work just to laugh at them in person. I've been getting closed dealerships all over the place. Well I knew Barrett was going to be closed yesterday, that made my scouting mission that much easier!

Rather than submit to impusle and go to the dealerships on Saturday, I spent most of the afternoon and evening washing, clay barring, and waxing my car. Damn she looks sharp now. I should've done that a LONG time ago. It's like my Subie is all new again. Now I just need to take care of the interior.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:51 PM

I just stopped by Maxwell to have a look and i agree they do look better in person. The rear lights would be the first to go the spoiler doesn't really look all that bad. Inside the car felt cheap and this reminds you thats its just a lancer. They have a yellow, silver and black one inside the showroom. Price well all three were $38k which broke down with a MSRP of $30k and then 3k of upgrades like sports pedals, shift knob, sports gauges etc all were on the MSRP included list however they think cause you have nothing to compare it too they are upgraded. Oh and a $5k DPA charge, whatever that is?? I also heard the punk kid salesperson saying that they are making 4000 this year to keep them limited and then 6500 next year. what bulls&*t.

Last edited by LimeyWRX; Mar 10, 2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

So they still only have those 3 at Maxwell eh? So much for the red, white, and blue ones they were supposed to get on Saturday. I guess they're doing the same thing as Gillman then.

And I think that "DPA" is what I saw on the tags hanging on the cars up at Barrett. I wondered what in the hell that meant. I can think of some good acronyms but would probably get baned for posting them.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LimeyWRX
I also heard the punk kid salesperson saying that they are making 4000 this year to keep them limited and then 6500 next year. what bulls&*t.
That's the guy that keeps calling me. He is funny. He sort of has no clue. His name is Mike Desperada(SP?). He tried to convice me that the EVO would be quicker than a Z06 at an auto-x. I said I hope so.... Hee Hee Hee..

/<

Quick Reply: Evos in Austin