Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

gilman experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Sebby
... I got into this business to make an honest and decent living for myself and my family. I got into this business to help people! I want to help!
I can think of ten other sales positions where a person who intends to "help" (as you proclaim) would actually do so.

1.) The Automotive (and related industries) and Real Estate (ask that guy that sold you your last house how much he made off of you. I bet is was more than $250.00 which by the way is the national average on a car sale. That is right the average salesperson makes $250 for each car he or she sells.
First: Provide a reference for that.

Secondly.... I could care less how much you make. That is your business, and if you took a job that pays crappy, guess who's fault that is? I do not buy things, a car no less, to support others.

It's two way street ya know... if you don't like the fair price I offer, and I walk... don't get all pissy about how you won't make any more than $250 on my deal.

Do you go into WalMart and ask to pay $250.00 for that television that is marked $450.00?
Honestly... YES. Ok, well it was Sears. I just bought a 19"color TV for $20. I rarely pay retail.

As you illustrated, it's unfair of us to categorise all salemen into crooks, you should give some frugal buyers the benefit of the doubt as well.

Secondly, you guys are trying to purchase one the most exciting, reliable, inexpensive, attractive, etc. sports compact in the marketplace. These cars are in extremely high demand (go find out what a Chevy dealer owns a Corvette for and what kind of mark up they have) and the supply is limited. We all know how supply and demand works.
Funny you should mention the vette. About a year ago, they were selling them for nearly 10K off MSPR due to new model coming in. Quite the deal for those looking for that car.

It's funny that you mention supply and demand theory. Come to think of it, you just posted all the available VIII's in Texas for sale. Given that demand is now shifting quickly for the IX, those VIII's should now be available for below invoice price, huh?

P.S. Gillman Mitsubishi of San Marcos is one of the best dealerships to buy your next EVO or any Mitsubishi. We are fair, honest, and really would like to help you! We also offer $17.95 oil changes on most makes and models!
Could be. Your sales manager didn't want to deal with me however. He thought I was crazy asking for an invoice price on a car that is being replaced as we speak. No hard feelings tho, I found the car of my dreams a few miles down the road.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 08:44 AM
j8
Evolving Member

After reading through this tread I thought I would share the following story. The story is about my grandma better known in our family as the master negotiator. About two years ago she decided to purchase a new car. Here is her tactics.

1. Ask for the invoice on the car. Then say "I know you bastards have another sheet in the back and this one is fake. I know how you sales people are." Yes, that was grandma talking.

2. Hang out at the dealership for long periods of time (4 hours a day). She did this for over a week, everyday until they gave her the deal she wanted. The lady was relentless.

3. Continue to call them liars and thieves. When they present the contract, take well over two hours to read it. Then sit them down and ask them countless questions.

4. If all else fails accidentally walk into the front window of the showroom and fall to the ground. This actually happened. She got so upset at them she forgot to put on her glasses and ran straight into their front window.

In the end grandma got the car she wanted at the price she wanted. The cars MSRP was $14,000 and she walked out the door with TTL for $10,000. I talked to the salesman and manager the day she picked up the car. They said they took a loss on the car just to get her out of the dealership. They were also worried that she would hurt herself again and sue the crap out of them. They did say she got the best deal they had ever seen. Just thought I would share...
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Taht's funny. Too bad I don't have enough time or I'd try it.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Smile I dont think you were crazy!

Originally Posted by binarysleep
I can think of ten other sales positions where a person who intends to "help" (as you proclaim) would actually do so.

First: Provide a reference for that.

Secondly.... I could care less how much you make. That is your business, and if you took a job that pays crappy, guess who's fault that is? I do not buy things, a car no less, to support others.

It's two way street ya know... if you don't like the fair price I offer, and I walk... don't get all pissy about how you won't make any more than $250 on my deal.

Honestly... YES. Ok, well it was Sears. I just bought a 19"color TV for $20. I rarely pay retail.

As you illustrated, it's unfair of us to categorise all salemen into crooks, you should give some frugal buyers the benefit of the doubt as well.

Funny you should mention the vette. About a year ago, they were selling them for nearly 10K off MSPR due to new model coming in. Quite the deal for those looking for that car.

It's funny that you mention supply and demand theory. Come to think of it, you just posted all the available VIII's in Texas for sale. Given that demand is now shifting quickly for the IX, those VIII's should now be available for below invoice price, huh?

Could be. Your sales manager didn't want to deal with me however. He thought I was crazy asking for an invoice price on a car that is being replaced as we speak. No hard feelings tho, I found the car of my dreams a few miles down the road.
binarysleep,

I dont think you are crazy at all! I dont blame you for trying to get the best price! I am also terribly sorry that we were not able to obtain you as a loyal Gillman San Marcos customer. You are right, it is a two way street!

By the way, the demand for the VIII's is actually higher than the IX (on the dealership level) because of the incentives (ie. 0% financing etc.).

Let me ask you a question. What do you do for a living? Just out of curiosity!

If I can ever do anything to help you out, please let me know.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Mark,

If demand is higher for an VIII than a IX, I'll take that GG IX off your hands for invoice, or any MR you get for that matter . That way you have room for more VIII's.

Kelly
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ewoevo
Mark,

If demand is higher for an VIII than a IX, I'll take that GG IX off your hands for invoice, or any MR you get for that matter . That way you have room for more VIII's.

Kelly
Kelly,

Now, Now, Now! LOL! I said on the dealership level they are in higher demand! Im out of the VIII business, unless I can find one for one of you folks!

The IX is going to be a whole new monster and I am more than sure not many dealerships are going to budge off of MSRP!

I am trying to get my GM to let me do special pricing for evolutionm.net members only!
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

If you guys want a dirt cheap EVO, wait until the X comes out (just one more year)
then the prices for the VIII and a IX will drop like a rock. Until then, even if you pay MSRP, you are getting one othe finest values on the planet in terms of performance per cost.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binarysleep
Thought I might add my .02.

I stopped by the Austin Gillman; they didn’t have any EVO’s. Sales person seemed cool, but the sales manager was a jerk.

Next stop was the dealer down the road in San Marcos. I spoke for a while to the sales manager. He thought I was out of my mind asking for below invoice pricing on an Evo. I told him I might be, but I would probably find someone willing to deal.

Last stop was the Gillman in Shertz (SA). The sales manager was nice enough to do most of the negotiating face-to-face (normally unheard of in this industry). He read me well, and understood that I was looking to buy TODAY if he would lower his price. As it was a slow day (Rita in the news), he agreed to invoice price!

While I did catch him (sales manager) in a one lie (about the extended warranty price) my overall experience was good. I don’t claim to have bought my Evo at the best price available, but considering only two were left in my general region, invoice pricing is pretty good.

All in all, I don’t think it would be fair to label Gillman “bad” based upon one or two sales managers… they do after all have many Mitsubishi dealerships in Texas.

PS… I thought I might add: The extended warranty (10 years/100K miles) that Gillman offers can be sold as low as $850. That was the “one lie” I caught. The sales manager said his cost was $1050. Just thought I’d add that so you know when the next person buys, he can get it the same deal.

Schertz!! woot woot!!!