Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

i need some accessport map advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need some accessport map advice

I just ordered an accessport from perrin for my evo x GSR. Should I run perrins's stage 1 custom map for 91 octane or use cobbs acn map that is specific for ca,nv,and az customers. Which map is safer for my engine? The reason why I have an evo is because I blow my motor on 2009 wrx. I was using perrin stage 2 91 octane map for perrin cai with tbe. I blew my motor a month after adding unequal length headers without a tune for it. Engine rod knock failure.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know very little about Perrin's maps, but I'd like to chime in here as I think I still have some insight. My experience with Cobb's maps for the evo IX are that they were very safe. They are quite conservative. As I understand it, they base maps are just that: Base maps. IMO, They leave a bit on the table with regards to power, but they are pretty safe.

As far as Perrin goes, they weren't even able to offer me a 91 octane map at the time I was looking for a map from them. This may have changed since then. They were also really slow to respond to any of my inquiries or questions about the maps and their availability. Given my limited experience working with Perrin's support, I can say that I'd prefer to work with Cobb's support. They are fast, friendly and professional when I needed help. Perrin was slow, and unhelpful when I tried to ask them about buying an evo IX AP + perrin tuned map from them, and didn't even reply to the first I sent.

Its very likely that both maps would be safe for your motor, but the only way to be sure would be if you had the correct monitoring and data logging equipment in your car. If a safe map is your #1 priority. my suggestion would be to stick with the Cobb. It's my opinion that they have more experience with the X, and better customer service in the event that something did go wrong.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It only took a day for Perrin to reply back to my email. When you buy and accessport from them now they ask you what specific mods you have ON the car so they send a custom map with it. The custom map they are sending is specific to AZ,CA, and NV. From my experience they seem to reply back quicker then Cobb. I like both companies. It also looks like Cobb offers a lot more maps for free on the evo x with various different mods opposed to Perrin. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but the stage 2 perrin CAI map I had on my 09 WRX was also specific to AZ, CA, and NV. That narrows down that I blow my WRX motor because of unequal length headers not being tuned or it was the known rod knock problem with that year that can be easily found on youtube. I ended up paying out of pocket for a new engine on my WRX before I traded it in for the EVO X. I never want to blow a motor on a car that I am making payments on. This is the only performance mod I will probably do on this car. I picked up a del sol while waiting a month to get the WRX back. I hope to start modding that because if it blows up its paid for and can sit there unlike the EVO X. I gotta say I love my EVO X. I can't launch it like my WRX but it has better top end. My best time I pulled out of the WRX was a 4.5 0-60 and a 13.76@96