Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

SCAMMED by Driveline Motoring - Full Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down SCAMMED by Driveline Motoring - Full Review

Summary: I bought a JDM rear bumper and Demonwerkz crash beam from Driveline Motoring late May 2014. The bumper had a few issues and the crash beam was a fake knock off. I emailed and called multiple times with no answer or extremely limited communication. Driveline offered me a full refund upon recieveing the items. I sent the crash bar back and 3 weeks later (Aug 2014)I have no refund and no reply from any communication. DO NOT buy anything from this scamming company!

Don't make the same mistake i made! I read a few threads about Driveline that had problems similar to mine but most of the other threads praised them. I should have stayed skeptical and avoided them. I was flat out lied to. I will never purchase anything from this criminal company again. Do yourself a favor and stay away!!!

Full review:

I decided months ago that I was going to install a JDM rear bumper on my evo. I spent a few weeks looking for one that was available in stock. After calling around, I was able to confirm that Driveline had a handfull in stock and would be receiving a large shipment. I was also able to confirm that they were getting a shipment of Demonwerkz crash beams and that I was guaranteed to get one. I was told it would take approximately one week to be delivered. I had seen a thread on here (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...driveline.html) that the recent Demonwerkz crash beams they were selling looked and fit wrong as if they had been made incorrectly. I asked and made sure that the bar had been corrected. I was told that all bars in the shipment they were receiving had been corrected and refinished. This was on 5/15/14.

5/27/14: I placed an order with Driveline Motoring online through their website for a JDM rear bumper and Demonwerkz rear crash beam.

6/3/14: The UPS guy shows up at my house and informs me that he is supposed to pick up a package from me weighing about 40lbs. I have no idea what he is talking about and send him on his way. I immediately call Driveline, no answer, left a message informing them that I believed the shipping information got messed up.

6/6/14: I have not received a call back so I call again. No answer, left message.

6/9/14: I finally receive a call back stating that they messed up the shipping and straightened it out. I was able to acquire a valid tracking number.

6/11/14: I arrive home from work to find the package sitting in front of my garage. I don't know how they could have just left a huge package sitting in my driveway without a signature or anything. I was not happy about that. I immediately, thoroughly, inspect the package for any damage and find none. I open the package and thoroughly inspect the bumper and crash beam. Upon inspection I note the bumper and crash beam have significant issues. I immediately call Driveline and to my surprise Chuck answered the phone. I outline all the issues with the bumper and the crash beam. Chuck tells me to document and take pictures of everything and send it to him via email. I asked him when I could expect a response from him and he told me "a few days and he would mark it urgent". At this time he informed me that the rear crash beam was from a "new batch" which made me very uneasy. I know now that "new batch" ment fake knock off.

6/12/14: I created the email and sent it.
I outlined these issues (photos below post):

Bumper issues:
1. There are two mounting tabs on either side that are bent downward and are flimsy. (Attachment 1 & 2)
2. The bumper has a scratch on the right side of where the license plate would go. (Attachment 5)
3. There are two chips cut into the bumper on the top right side above where the marker lights would be on the usdm version. (Attachment 3 & 4)

Bar issues:
1. The bar is described as 59 inches long, the one I received is only 48 inches long.
2. The bar is supposed to have multiple bends that wrap around towards the sides of the rear end, this only has one bend on each side.
3. There is no extra mounting hole to bolt it to the frame.
4. The bar does not have a wrinkle black finish.
5. The license plate light mounting holes have no holes for the lights to be mounted. (Attachment 6)
6. The holes that are supposed to let the light though the bar to illuminate the license plate are supposed to be slots not holes just drilled into the bar. (Attachment 7)
7. The underside is bare metal, unpainted and the bar has paint chips all over the front. (Attachment 8 & 9)

I politely explained that the state of the items was unacceptable and I wanted a full refund. I gave him my phone and email contact information.

6/16/14: I haven't received any reply. I called again, no answer, left a message to contact me asap with an update.

6/17/14: Still no reply. I called, no answer, left a message stating that i left a message the day before and I need to be contacted immediately to resolve this issue. I also sent an email stating the same.

At this point I felt that all was lost and I got screwed between the horrible service and lack of any communication.

6/19/14: I finally get an email back. The email does not directly address any of the issues and gives me the run around with poorly worded and fragmented sentences/thoughts. In short he told me the issues I outlined were not issues at all.
Here is exactly copy and paste the response I got:

Bumper issues:
There are two mounting tabs* on either side that are bent
downward and are flimsy. (Attachment 1 &
2)
Yes they are
suppose to be flimsy and bent downward as so. This is not a
defect, this is how they come from Mitsubishi
Japan.*
The bumper has a scratch on the right side of where the
license plate would go. (Attachment 5)
Is this visible once the license
plate is installed? Have you consulted a body shop to ask
them if this would even show after painting?*
There are two chips cut into the bumper on the top right
side above where the marker lights would be on the usdm
version. (Attachment 3 & 4)
When was this seen? Was this noted
on the shipping documents you signed when you received the
parts? Were there any damage to the box when this part
arrived to you?*

Bar
issues:
The bar is described as 59 inches long, the one I received
is only 48 inches long.
The post you are looking at online
is possibly from about 8-9 years ago. Many features of this
bar have been redesigned and changed throughout the years to
better the fitment of it. This has been shortened due to
issues of poking against the sides of the bumper. Also this
has been changed from regular heavy steel to chromoly steel
which saves weight*
The bar is supposed to have multiple bends that wrap around
towards the sides of the rear end, this only has one bend on
each side.
Same
answer as 1*
There is no extra mounting hole to bolt it to the
frame.
I dont
understand this.*
The bar does not have a wrinkle black
finish.
Paint
is strictly designed to prevent rust on this bar. These have
come in different colors over the year for the main fact
that once the bumper is on, you can not see this
bar.*

The license plate light mounting holes have no holes for the
lights to be mounted. (Attachment 6)
We have included tapping screws.
Once the light is aligned, it is an easy tap for a perfect
fit every time.*
The holes that are supposed to let the light though the bar
to illuminate the license plate are supposed to be slots not
holes just drilled into the bar. (Attachment
7)
Have you put
on the lights to see how they will work?
The underside is bare metal, unpainted and the bar has paint
chips all over the front. (Attachment 8 &
9)
Same as
answer 4*

Chuck Hernandez1808 Victory
BlvdGlendale, CA 91201(818)
359-1144FAX (818)
507-7501www.DrivelineStore.com

6/23/14: At this point I have lost all faith in Driveline and just want to get my money back and move on from this stressful situation. I sit down and compose a response to the fragmented email.

Again direct copy and paste:

Hello Chuck. Thank you for returning my email.

I did some searching to confirm your statement that the bumper tabs are supposed to be bent downward and flimsy but could not locate any photos. Do you have photos to confirm this?

The scratch on the right side of the bumper will not be covered by the license plate. It is located to the right of the license plate. I have not consulted a body shop on any of these damages as I wanted a response from you before taking any action.

All defects, including the chips, were discovered upon inspection immediately following unwrapping of the package. There was no paperwork or documents for me to sign from the shipping company. The package was sitting in front of my garage door when I arrived home from work and shows no signs of damage or neglect during shipping.

I have thoroughly read through your replies on the rear crash beam and will address them.

Firstly, I can understand that the website you currently have running is possibly 8-9 years old. I can also recognize that the features of this bar have been redesigned and changed throughout the years. Unfortunately Chuck, your website clearly does not reflect these redesigns and changes as it should to inform the customer (myself) of exactly what they are buying. No attempt was ever made to informed me of this by email or phone, nor is there any mention of it on your website. It is your responsibility as the seller of the item to make sure the listing is accurate. As I understand it you mentioned this bar is made from chromoly instead of heavy steel. That is all well and good but I did not pay for a chromoly crash beam. I paid for a stainless steel crash beam that is 59 inches wide as is stated directly in your description of the item on your website.

Secondly, the extra mounting hole to bolt the bar to the frame does not exist on the bar I recieved. There is supposed to be a 3rd hole on each end of the bar where it mounts to the vehicle. Again it is clearly stated in the description of the item "Our JDM Spec rear crash beam also includes an extra mounting hole if you want to bolt it down to the frame which is optional".

Thirdly, I find it hard to believe that this bar has been many different colors throughout the years. Black seems to be pretty standard and I have yet to see a picture, or comment, on any website that says otherwise. I recognize that when installed with the bumper, the crash beam is not visible. However, this is not an adaquate excuse for the chipped paint on the face of the bar as well as the complete lack of paint on the underside as I have meticulously documented in the pictures I sent in my previous email.

Lastly, I am not going to drill holes with screws or install the bar on my vehicle to "see how the lights will work" just so you can tell me you won't refund me because I tried to install it.

From your responses it seems that you were aware that the bar did not match the description on your website before shipping and you are missing the point I am trying to make. This crash beam I recieved does NOT match the photo or the description on your website. I want a refund in the full amount for this bar as it is falsely advertised. Absolutely no other action is acceptable.

Thank you again for your time Chuck. I look forward to your reply.

For reference directly from your website:

http://www.drivelinestore.com/demonw.../i-298834.aspx

Product Description
The rear crash beam solution for street-driven Evo VII-IX owners have been waiting for is here. Demonwerkz JDM rear crash beam was designed with “street enthusiasts” who want to visually enhance the appearance of their car with out having to sacrifice safety to do it .;
Demonwerkz all-new, tubular stainless steel crash beam which was tested and developed on the company’s own Evo 9 track car—is a direct-fit replacement and reduces the flex by tying two parallel frame supports together which is critical to the suspension of the car. Our all-new JDM spec crash beam features a 59” wide tubular steel beam and a specially designed mounting bracket as well as an integrated light mount and license plate bracket that together reduces vibration when mounting the OEM bracket to the JDM rear bumper.;
Demonwerkz is a simple bolt-on affair. Unlike other hacked OEM crash beams, Demonwerkz incorporates the factory configuration, leaving the crash beam in its original location, which means the original mounting locations can be reused. Our JDM Spec rear crash beam also includes an extra mounting hole if you want to bolt it down to the frame which is optional and will not affect the vehicle what so ever.;

6/30/14: No reply to my email on 6/23. I called stating all the facts and demanded a refund. I send an email reminding them to review my email on 6/23, that communication throughout this whole ordeal has been extremely poor and to get back to me immediately.

7/2/14: I receive and email from Chuck stating that I should consult a body shop on the bumper and get back to him. He also stated that he does not want this to keep going on and on. He told me to send the crash beam back for a full refund.

7/6/14: I reply to his email from 7/2 and tell him I am satisfied with that arraignment. I make sure it is clear that I will be receiving a full refund including free shipping in the amount of $285.00 + shipping costs. I also ask when I will receive my refund.

7/10/14: Receive an email from Chuck confirming I will receive my refund "once the product is returned to our store"

7/16/14: I send the crash bar back UPS and send Chuck an email informing him it was sent, provide a tracking number, inform him of the shipping cost, and tell him to contact me as soon as it arrives.

7/22/14: I confirm via tracking that the crash bar was delivered and signed for by Chuck.

7/28/14: I have not received my refund and email Chuck once again. I state that I confirmed delivery of the crash bar and my refund needs to be processed promptly.

Here I am 3 weeks later with no refund and no response from Driveline. I am emailing and calling them again today.

This has gone on much longer than it should have. At this point I am entirely disgusted and appauled at the complete lack of service and concern for the customer or product. At this point they have stole over $300 from me and wasted almost 3 months of my time on this debacle. I am giving them one more chance to redeem themselves, after that they can deal with my attorney and credit card company.

Don't make the same mistake i made! I read a few threads about Driveline that had problems similar to mine but most of the other threads praised them. I should have stayed skeptical and avoided them. I was flat out lied to. I will never purchase anything from this criminal company again. Do yourself a favor and stay away!!!
Attached Thumbnails SCAMMED by Driveline Motoring - Full Review-20140611_122146.jpg   SCAMMED by Driveline Motoring - Full Review-20140611_143039.jpg   SCAMMED by Driveline Motoring - Full Review-20140611_143114.jpg   SCAMMED by Driveline Motoring - Full Review-20140611_143230.jpg  

Last edited by MechTech; Sep 8, 2019 at 08:23 AM.