Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

The 24Hrs of LeMons: Results!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The 24Hrs of LeMons: Results!

www.24hoursoflemons.com
We raced it. We finished it. We did remarkably well.

Team Hyphy Drivers:
Dustin@Vishnu, Calvin@Vishnu, RJ (from RJ's Paint Shop) and myself

The Car:
1988 Honda CRX beater

The Carnage:
Collapsed front frame rail (from front end collision against concrete well... courtesy of yours truly), punctured radiator from road debris, missing fenders, coke-bottle side panels courtesy of multiple T-bone collisions, punctured front right tire, destroyed transmission mounts, and much, much more!

The results (out of 35cars):
4th fastest laptime
6th over in terms of # of laps (over 1000!!!)... despite 2 hours of front end collision repair in paddock. We used RJ's truck to pull the front frame rail straight. Dustin masterminded new front end crash protection and a new radiator location (pictures soon!) that removed our single, often tempted, point of failure.

Other cars we competed against:

Car and Driver mag-- Olds Aurora
Eyesore Racing (Dave Coleman's team)-- Honda CRX rally car
Sport Compact car mag-- Toyota Celica
Sports Car International mag-- Volkswagon Golf TDI
And a few former demolishion derby monstrosities

All in all, we had more fun than you can imagine. And we were certainly the crowd favorite. Too tired to write now. But pics, editorial and hopefully video to follow very sooon.....

Cheers,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Oct 8, 2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Sweet! I know some guys from work that ran too... had a BMW 5-series.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Sweet! I know some guys from work that ran too... had a BMW 5-series.
Sweet! I think he T-boned me!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

congrats!! who cooked the fastest lap time out of you guys?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

wheres the pix boyo. i guess calvin took them all. i want to see the pix of us in front of the team hyphy hood!!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Day 1

Oh good lord, what a 24 hours it was.

Day 1.

We arrived at the track with a beatuifly prepped car. 195s on the front, 175s out back, only a rear sway bar, and a Single cam Vtec under the hood. It sounded like a recipe for a win. The car was clearly better than team Coleman's crx, which utilized a stack of bump stops for springs, was powered by "hickory smoked horse butt-holes" if I remember correctly. Although their car did have the same curse/blessing as ours. More on this later.

I was the first driver out. After figuring out the radio communication, I pulled out on the track in dead last. How this happened, we really don't know. But, needless to say, we were out on the track, the car was running, and that count's for something right?

The green flag dropped, and we were off. Driving a completely untested, unknown car was a little scary, but it didn't take long to find the Team Hyphy CRX's strengths and weaknesses. The car was fast. Much faster than most of the cars out on the track, and it was fast because being so small, you could sneak around everyone. However, the car had a wicked snap oversteer. So much so, that I spun the car on the 4th lap, the first time I tried to trailbrake into the first corner. The oversteer combined with the steering ratio of a bus was a bad combo. It turns out that every driver suffered this fate at least once or twice. After about 2 hours of driving, I had escaped without a single tap, and I moved us up from 30 something to 4th.

Next in the car was Shiv. Out of the gate Shiv was quick. He was passing people with vigor. Thing's were looking up, we might even be able to move into the first place spot with as fast as he was moving. Or, Shiv could get hooked onto the tube front bumper of a Jetta, and get pulled into wall on the front straight, and destroy the front end of the car.

Shiv opted for the Jetta approach. After the car was pealed away from the wall, we found the CRX's weakness. The car is really small. See how this is a a strength, and a weekness? The whole body was tearing away from the frame rail, the radiator hose was crimped, but somehow we managed to keep the radiator alive.

We ripped and we pulled, and we hammered and bashed. Somehow after a short hour or two, we were back on the track, minus a front fender, bumper, and frame support, but our team hyphy hood still adorned the front end.

Calvin was out on the track next. He managed to spin a time or two, but also made it without a scratch. At this point, we were way back in the standings, somewhere between 20th, and who knows. But, the car was running, and we were out there, making up laps.

The Calvin and RJ switch went fine, and RJ was out on the track. RJ wasn't going as fast as the rest of us, and we couldn't figure out why. This guy does wheelies on the freeway, but we couldn't get him to stay full throttle on the front straight. But once again, we couldn't complain, the car was out there, and we were lapping. RJ of course suffered the same spin into the first corner that the rest of us had. After about an hour and a half he said a tire had gone flat on the radio. But when he came in, all of the tires were fine, however the Radiator was puking it's guts all over the road. It had taken a rock. Out of the darkness comes a savor. Enter RJ's dad, with a set of pliers. RJ's dad has raced p-cars for years, and knows a thing or two. He walks up, and Squeezes off the row that is leaking. Amazingly, we are back out on the track within 10 mins, with shiv back in the car. (To the reader: Don't give up on RJ yet....)

Shiv is back in the car, and once again he is going fast. He was dicing it up, and we didn't care too much, we only had about 1 hour left in the first day. After about a half an hour, we see that the hood is creased in the front. None of us have any idea how it got their, but we all know that it isn't good for our radiator situation. One lap later, Shiv pulled off, and our night was done.

Casey from Modacar makes a few calls, and finds us a new radiator. The radiator puts us back in the race for the next day, but doesn't guaranty that we stay in it. As I look at the crushed front end in dawns on me: Why put the radiator in the front? Let's put that sh*t on the top.

After a few more hours with the hammer, and trading beer for square tubing, we no longer had hood, but now had a front bash bar, clear space for the radiator on top of the motor, and intake that is sticking up out of the engine bay, like a snorkel off a swamp buggy.

Day one is over, and the results are looking grim, but the come back kids have a trick up our sleeves....

Stay tuned for day two.

Last edited by Dustin@Vishnu; Oct 9, 2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

hah! that is great! Good write up so far Dustin...can't wait for day 2
Old Oct 9, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

LMAO!!!! That is classic... And I am going to let you guys tune my car next weekend??!?!?!?!

Last edited by Cajun Power; Oct 9, 2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Ohh kay, Pictures here:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2100927559
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

calvin that's awesome!!!
better tell me all about it at the BBQ in 2 weeks
Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

The pictures are great after reading the story. Next year... Bigger bumpers!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:46 PM

That's pretty awsome I enjoy gas, brake, dip...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Those pictures looked like you had a lot of fun!!!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

To give you guys an idea of the insanity of the 24 Hours of Lemons, check out this video clip from the race.

It was like that for the entire race, but the last 45 minutes were off the hook. Lemons ricocheting off the car, lemon pulp and rinds in turn 1, dodging a wheel and a halfshaft lying on the racing line on the entrance to the main straight, getting t-boned (and t-boning others) on every lap by cars driven by other half-crazed lunatics...

It was, without question, the most fun I've had driving a car. Can't wait til next year.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Video of our great CRX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15DjT...elated&search=
Look for our car (White CRX with no hood) and see how quickly we move up the field by the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be64j...elated&search=
You can see us at the very frame. We had just forced the big demolishion derby car in to a spin

There's a lot more video of our car getting all hyphy. We just have to find it

And if you think those videos are nuts, you should have seen the last hour when the black flag was retired. Anything went. And I mean anything. I was given the duty of finishing the last 2 1/2 hours of the race. And it was no walk in the park! I'm sure Dustin will fill you in the on the details in the Day 2 summary.

All in all, it was the most fun I've EVER had in a car. Yes, that includes time with girlfriends

-shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Oct 10, 2006 at 05:38 PM.